Jeremy Mathieu

God Serena

Don't know what game you guys were watching if you think that was a good game from him, or perhaps the standard at LB he usually sets is so low that anything better than "Worst man on the pitch" is good. His assist was as basic a square pass as it gets and he'd already messed it up several times before that. I'd say he was decent at best if you want to be really generous.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
He was not horrible, let's put it that way, but definitely needs to play LB as little as possible.

JackSparrow

At first I was afraid how he would do at LB, but I liked his performance. He did good, but clearly doesnt have the stamina for 90 minutes. And compared to crosses of Alves (excluded this match), his passing is superior.

J

Jamie Cal

Doomed if he does, doomed if he doesn't. :lol: Unreal how people pick on his performance because he's not glamorous, when he was fine yesterday.

Hate the favoritism in this club sometimes.

mark1nhu

Don't know what game you guys were watching if you think that was a good game from him, or perhaps the standard at LB he usually sets is so low that anything better than "Worst man on the pitch" is good. His assist was as basic a square pass as it gets and he'd already messed it up several times before that. I'd say he was decent at best if you want to be really generous.

Pfff...

Rakitic was easily the worst player on pitch yesterday.

Mathieu played good, which is a level we, as Barça fan, are not used to it anymore.

Anyway, you can count on a monkey's hand how many CB in the world can be adapted as LB to give some versatility to the squad.

R

RationalMathematician

So, noone noticed yesterday how once Mathieu was subbed off, Barca stopped playing great?

Boss

Mathieu, Vermaelen, Bartra, Adriano is a very good defensive line for a second string.

BBZ8800

For guys who complain how he is horrible at LB and how we should play virtually anyone else there instead of Mathieu.

But, what if, WHAT IF Lucho really needs Mathieu as our 3rd choice CB for the 2nd part of the season where we will surely have cards, fatigue and injuries.
And instead of rotating Pique-Mascherano too often, he just puts Mathieu from time to time at LB, NOT because he is awesome at LB, but just to keep Mathieu's form/chemistry/playing level/motivation/concentration/whatever.

So, we could look at Mathieu's situation in this way also:
1. he is awesome and reliable in biggest matches as our 3rd Cb choice
2. he is not good at LB, but decent enough against weakest opponents

Now, playing Mathieu at LB sometimes:
1. will keep him in form/chemistry etc
2. we will still win 4:0 or 5:0 in any match against weaker teams, with Mathieu, Grimaldo or some granny at LB

On the other hand, playing Grimaldo, or some NEW backup player as a LB:
1. we will get more attacking actions
2. we will win 5:0 or 6:0 instead of "only" 4:0
3. BUT, we will lose Mathieu, and he will be in weaker form when we will need him as a CB later in a season
= which means that the whole team will lose more in key parts of the season

So, if we look in that way, playing Mathieu as a LB against weaker teams, have much more pros than cons, as long as we are winning all the time.
Which we are...

God Serena

For guys who complain how he is horrible at LB and how we should play virtually anyone else there instead of Mathieu.

But, what if, WHAT IF Lucho really needs Mathieu as our 3rd choice CB for the 2nd part of the season where we will surely have cards, fatigue and injuries.
And instead of rotating Pique-Mascherano too often, he just puts Mathieu from time to time at LB, NOT because he is awesome at LB, but just to keep Mathieu's form/chemistry/playing level/motivation/concentration/whatever.

2. we will still win 4:0 or 5:0 in any match against weaker teams, with Mathieu, Grimaldo or some granny at LB

3. BUT, we will lose Mathieu, and he will be in weaker form when we will need him as a CB later in a season

So, if we look in that way, playing Mathieu as a LB against weaker teams, have much more pros than cons, as long as we are winning all the time.
Which we are...

Well at least he's finally willing to admit that Mathieu isn't played at LB because he's the best option. :lol:

J

Jamie Cal

Good post, BBZ.

Well at least he's finally willing to admit that Mathieu isn't played at LB because he's the best option. :lol:

But...who exactly is better? We're running the clock down with Adriano, Grimaldo looks to of burned bridges, so what else is there than (BBZ said) keep a pretty reliable performer like Mathieu in this mix?

I touched on this in either Verm or Bartra's thread -- having those 2 both in desperate need of minutes/confidence when they only get cameo roles and ultimately take up each others time is only hampering each other, it's doing neither the club nor those 2 any favors. At least if Mathieu plays LB, we can afford time & patience to Verm and Marc when the opportunities come up.

Trickykid

Which we are...

I agree with most of it, but I feel you're ignoring a potentially pretty big con; that being losing Grimaldo.
Had he gotten some of the lb minutes that Mathieu gets, perhaps he wouldn't be leaving at the end of the season. Who knows, the odds are that he won't turn out to be anything worth betting on anyhow, but I feel like he's at least earned a chance to show himself in the first team. I still have complete faith in Lucho knowing best what's good for the team, as he's obviously much closer to the players than us, but it still a baffling situation.

Anyhow, I bloody love our chain smoking frenchie, so the more power to him!

J

Jamie Cal

I agree with most of it, but I feel you're ignoring a potentially pretty big con; that being losing Grimaldo.
Had he gotten some of the lb minutes that Mathieu gets, perhaps he wouldn't be leaving at the end of the season. Who knows, the odds are that he won't turn out to be anything worth betting on anyhow, but I feel like he's at least earned a chance to show himself in the first team. I still have complete faith in Lucho knowing best what's good for the team, as he's obviously much closer to the players than us, but it still a baffling situation.

Anyhow, I bloody love our chain smoking frenchie, so the more power to him!

But if Grimaldo really wouldn't go out on loan last season (against Lucho's demands), then why would he reward him in the first team? Let alone the fact we have a few defenders in desperate need of minutes anyway. Hard to defend Grimmy if he's not doing as he's told.

Trickykid

But if Grimaldo really wouldn't go out on loan last season (against Lucho's demands), then why would he reward him in the first team? Let alone the fact we have a few defenders in desperate need of minutes anyway. Hard to defend Grimmy if he's not doing as he's told.

Back when the story surfaced, I recall there being claims that Grimaldo wasn't contacted by Lucho in regards to his future or told about the supposed transfer until the very day that it was happening, or something in that vein at least. All speculation of course, but it really does seem wierd he'd turn down a loan move like that without a very good reason.

Home of Barca Fans