Italy

Sallou

No offence but I think Italy would have won their last game so I don't think you would have finished first anyway.

Oh I agree, but there was always the small hope that defeating them mught cause them to panic a teeny bit and end with a draw even (a draw for them and a win for us would have done I believe).

But yeah :) Now I've lost hope altogether. France, Portugal, , Greece? etc.

No way will Ireland and Greece be drawn together for the playoffs. Fifa will want to give the two weakest teams to two of the big guns, not each other so one can go through (and two big guns have to play each other). :angry:

Ireland & Greece will get Portual & France, and the refs will do what they can for France & Portugal to go through.

I can still dream though. Maybe the draw won't be rigged and we draw Greece, and beat them over the two games?

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Oh I agree, but there was always the small hope that defeating them mught cause them to panic a teeny bit and end with a draw even (a draw for them and a win for us would have done I believe).

But yeah :) Now I've lost hope altogether. France, Portugal, , Greece? etc.

No way will Ireland and Greece be drawn together for the playoffs. Fifa will want to give the two weakest teams to two of the big guns, not each other so one can go through (and two big guns have to play each other). :angry:

Ireland & Greece will get Portual & France, and the refs will do what they can for France & Portugal to go through.

I can still dream though. Maybe the draw won't be rigged and we draw Greece, and beat them over the two games?
It might not be possible because Greece might not have a high enough ranking to play Ireland. France, Portugal and Russia WILL all get through FIFA will make sure.

Sallou

Oh of course they will. I'll die of shock of Portugal lose today; though of course very happy on behalf of my team. A quote I found on another forum: "C Ronaldo not at the World Cup would be the best thing to happen to football since Lionel Messi." Love it. :D

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
There are calls for Nesta to return to the Azzurri though I don't think he will. Then again, he could do a u-turn just to play in the WC then retire after that. He's in fantastic form for Milan though and IMO is the most talented defender of his generation.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Except their timeline betrays them.

Balotelli isn't read for the national team, not to mention, the national team isn't ready for him.
Santon has not come of age yet and was out due to a lengthy injury.
Totti quit.
Gattuso surrendered to time.
I am not so sure about Criscito.

By the time the first two are mature enough, Nesta, Buffon, Pirlo and Totti will all be way too old.

beef-supreme

I think based on individuals, Italy are really weak. Add to that the fact that i hate virtually all of their players.
But Italy as a team unit tend to be good and annoyingly get the results.
If you want individuals, go to Spain, Argentina, hell even England.

DucdeOrléans

But you tend to forget that Italy nearly always perform on the big stage, especially when they have someone such as Lippi on the bench. I would not really be shocked if they retain their WC crown.

Totti and Nesta are pure class and still one of the best on their respective positions.

Criscito is class and way above Grosso. I also would prefer Santon instead of Zambrotta. As a mattter of fact Ambrosini should play instead of Gattuso. Balotelli would really add something to the team. And sooner or latter he will be a starter and obviously he already has the quality so why not let him expose it during the WC? Surely Totti and Nesta need to return to the national team first, but if they do they are guarenteed a place in the starting-line. Hopefully.

But I would not mine if Cassano or Rossi would be used as a strike partner for Gilardino.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
well should italy have two strikers? it is not their style, because they have lots of good midfielders which need to be used.

DucdeOrléans

I know it is not their style and Lippi would be very much opposed to my line-up. It is highly unlikely that it would be ever used during the WC, unfortunately.

Home of Barca Fans