Florentino Perez

BarcaOG

Banned
BarcaOG is back with another gem of a signature.

Before Messi came to his prime Barca, Bayern had 4 CL and Liverpool 5 CL...while Barca had 2.

Man still hasn't learned his lesson from 2 bans. But I guess at that point, nothing will teach him.

:lol:
facts, bro. facts. Edit: and now Pool have 6 and Bayern 6. Yep, sounds like Messi's prime was super super successful

For our European rivals

Joan

I pay for subscriptions. I am also lucky enough to have enough money to do so. When I was a kid and until my early 20s, I did not. I used to watch the CL for free sometimes when it was on, and I loved every bit of it. I would hardly be a football fan today if all of that had been behind a paywall.

So it's already behind a paywall today, that's where some of the money for tv rights comes from. It's not going back and at this point, it's about resource allocation.

Big earners believe they can make significantly more money this way, btw., and serious banks find their models sound enough to back them.

BarcaOG

Banned
So it's already behind a paywall today, that's where some of the money for tv rights comes from. It's not going back and at this point, it's about resource allocation.

Yeah, and I think that is a shame. Going the ESL way only extend that. It doesn't solve the problem. On top of that, it kills all minor, non-big teams. Which means the roots of football die. In a league without competition, where losing is unpunished.

That would get boring really quickly.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

BarcaOG is back with another gem of a signature.

Before Messi came to his prime at Barca (2008), Bayern had 4 CL and Liverpool 5 CL...while Barca had 2.

Man still hasn't learned his lesson from 2 bans. But I guess at that point, nothing will teach him.

:lol:

Kingleoooooo is also back siuuu :) Man as you said we need these people otherwise forum would be too serious :boss:

Porque

We already do that for the CL. Not a good argument.

Right. So the next question is if the problem is just with the format and if it needs to be adjusted to be more interesting. Can the ESL product be more interesting to a global audience?

Then the ESL position comes in that even if the CL is adjusted by UEFA, are they breaking down the payments to be maximally distributed to the clubs (whether correct or not, but the JP Morgan investment figure suggests so).

Joan

Yeah, and I think that is a shame. Going the ESL way only extend that. It doesn't solve the problem.

There's really no going back, despite what some of us might want. As the Maestro put it: it's what it is. It's football and it costs us, and it costs the whole world. Literally and metaphorically.

FinBarcelonafan

I really think that's the wrong way to go about it. That would alienate millions upon millions of people the world over who wouldn't be able to afford such subscriptions. Masking that as an effort to attract young people 'to save the sport' is insulting. Neither Messi nor Cristiano could have paid for such subscriptions as young children, by the way. They were poor.

I want the ESL people to be honest about what they're doing. They want to sell subscriptions to the kind of people who have the discretionary money to spend on such amenities--i.e. the middle and upper middle class of North America, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia.

Here's why that's wrong:

The two most popular multiplayer games right now among young people are Fortnite and Call of Duty Warzone. What do they have in common?

They're free. Not a subscription service.

Yet to play those games you need to have expensive machines. Hardly free.

khaled_a_d

eSports are growing exponentially, that much is true.
Football still has 4 billion viewers worldwide, eSport ~400M by comparison, but that is going to change as long as EPL route to monopoly continues. Video games have been kids' totem in their childhood, much like Ronaldinho and Zidane were to ours. It's for sure going to be the case that football will get less and less popular if nothing is done.

This.
esports is coming to compete with regular sports.
People are taking the game success for granted, since it was already popular and continued to grow b4 any of us were born.

But numerous industries died with new ones replacing them , football are far from immune

Horatio

You're welcome
On the other hand, aren't we foreseeing a future where everybody is more conscious of taking care of their body? Couldn't that protect the interest of physical sports?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Of course fans (well, most of them) will have to pay to watch the games. If everybody wants to watch games for free, why do you think those TV/broadcasting/media companies want to spend billions of dollars to acquire those rights? Selling advertisement is a big chunk yes, but paid subscriptions are also a major source of revenue for those rights holders. If everybody wants to watch the games for free or for little money, then you can't blame the clubs you love for receiving little TV/broadcast money and hence won't be able to buy those players that you want them to buy.

I think some of Perez's ideas are not wrong, however his approaches are wrong. I think there are definitely more other attractions/competing entertainment options/alternative available today than before, which means every business, sport, entertainment industry is trying to compete for your (the consumer's) time and money. His ideas is to make football more exciting and more attractive by having the top teams play against one another more often; however, his approach of making the ESL a closed league with the top teams have their spot guaranteed etc. is wrong, and he probably didn't anticipate the possibility of people getting tired and bored of seeing the top teams play against one another for the 10th time in a period of 9 months or so. If fans lose interest they will lose the appeal and money quickly.

El Gato

Villarato!
On the other hand, aren't we foreseeing a future where everybody is more conscious of taking care of their body? Couldn't that protect the interest of physical sports?

Except that assumes people will actively do what's best for their own health. Which majority of the folk don't. And social media + games are very very good at sucking you in.

khaled_a_d

Except that assumes people will actively do what's best for their own health. Which majority of the folk don't. And social media + games are very very good at sucking you in.

And people rarely play football for sake of keeping fit anyway.

BarcaOG

Banned
Of course fans (well, most of them) will have to pay to watch the games. If everybody wants to watch games for free, why do you think those TV/broadcasting/media companies want to spend billions of dollars to acquire those rights? Selling advertisement is a big chunk yes, but paid subscriptions are also a major source of revenue for those rights holders. If everybody wants to watch the games for free or for little money, then you can't blame the clubs you love for receiving little TV/broadcast money and hence won't be able to buy those players that you want them to buy.

I think some of Perez's ideas are not wrong, however his approaches are wrong. I think there are definitely more other attractions/competing entertainment options/alternative available today than before, which means every business, sport, entertainment industry is trying to compete for your (the consumer's) time and money. His ideas is to make football more exciting and more attractive by having the top teams play against one another more often; however, his approach of making the ESL a closed league with the top teams have their spot guaranteed etc. is wrong, and he probably didn't anticipate the possibility of people getting tired and bored of seeing the top teams play against one another for the 10th time in a period of 9 months or so. If fans lose interest they will lose the appeal and money quickly.

Right--I see your point. There is something in that, though as a rule I think its unfair (and intellectually lazy) to make broad generations about vast swathes of people ('young fans') the world over (are young fans the same in Latin America, North America, Europe, Asia...etc? Having lived in both Latin and North America I can vouch that they are not). Both older and younger fans have multiple interests and hobbies. That doesn't mean they don't 'care' about football.

Joan

Right--I see your point. There is something in that, though as a rule I think its unfair (and intellectually lazy) to make broad generations about vast swathes of people ('young fans') the world over (are young fans the same in Latin America, North America, Europe, Asia...etc? Having lived in both Latin and North America I can vouch that they are not). Both older and younger fans have multiple interests and hobbies. That doesn't mean they don't 'care' about football.

That's not really the point, is it

Nobody claims all young fans are the same

Home of Barca Fans