Final: Germany - Argentina 1-0(ET) - Germany are WC Champions for the 4th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomchin

Can anybody pls explain to me with reasonable words and arguments, why Messi won the best player award?
Cause tbh, I don't think he was close to Müller, Neuer, James in terms of decisiveness/crunch time skill for his team and stats.
Because he was decisive in all of Argentina's games? James was underwhelming in the 1/8 final, and didn't feature in the semi + final. So would be very strange to give him the award imho.

Neuer was great against Algeria, but did he really have to make so many saves in the other games? Yesterday, he didn't really need to make any top saves (apart of the clash with Higuain)?

Muller was great in the previous games, but in the final, the game where it mattered most, he was somewhat underwhelming I thought? I can't remember that he had a lot of breath-taking actions yesterday?

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Because he was decisive in all of Argentina's games? James was underwhelming in the 1/8 final, and didn't feature in the semi + final. So would be very strange to give him the award imho.

Neuer was great against Algeria, but did he really have to make so many saves in the other games? Yesterday, he didn't really need to make any top saves (apart of the clash with Higuain)?

Muller was great in the previous games, but in the final, the game where it mattered most, he was somewhat underwhelming I thought? I can't remember that he had a lot of breath-taking actions yesterday?

Neuer was the reason Germany played 2-2 against Ghana, was the reason they won against Algeria, was the reason they won against France, was impressive in the second half against Brazil (~first 15 minutes).

PaulFCB

Banned
Based on last season, I think Tata would be a terrible choice.

Argentina is a bit different than Barcelona, proof @ this World Cup, I can't say he will fail, only that I don't know if it's gonna be an improvement face to Sabella.
He made Paraguay a good team, World Cup QF and a very tough game that Spain needed to take em out and Copa America final so practically 2nd best South American team after Uruguay in 2010 and 2011, a good performance thinking it might be the weakest of all South American teams seeing their performance after he left.
Also, with NOB he clinched a title ( or half title, cause their apertura/clausura ), afaik, a team that was actually hoping to avoid relegation when he came.

Tomchin

Neuer was the reason Germany played 2-2 against Ghana, was the reason they won against Algeria, was the reason they won against France, was impressive in the second half against Brazil (~first 15 minutes).
I see, but is that enough to win the Golden ball? GKs/defenders barely get the award I think, it's mostly given to attacking players?

I

instinct

Why do people criticze Messi because he won the Golden Ball? Is it his fault? lol

Just wondering because there are some people I know who say this. Stupid.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

They don't critizie Messi for winning, but that jokster Fifa expert commission ;)
Messi was one of the best players of the tourney, for sure. And if the WC had stopped after the group stage, he may have deserved to win the best player award, albeit being in the easiest group of them all with his team still having trouble actually scrapping together the 3 wins, but then... it didn't stop after the group stage.
IMO, Neuer, Müller, Robben, and maybe Kroos and Hummels would have been more adequate choices.

King Leo

Banned
They don't critizie Messi for winning, but that jokster Fifa expert commission ;)
Messi was one of the best players of the tourney, for sure. And if the WC had stopped after the group stage, he may have deserved to win the best player award, albeit being in the easiest group of them all with his team still having trouble actually scrapping together the 3 wins, but then... it didn't stop after the group stage.
IMO, Neuer, Müller, Robben, and maybe Kroos and Hummels would have been more adequate choices.

Messi had a much bigger impact on the games than Robben. Dont just count the goals and Robben running. But I think it was a close call on who the best player was.

HOWEVER Messi is much more important to FIFA and the world of football than any other player thus they want him to stay No.1. Why? little kids love him coz he does magic and doesnt cheat or dive, soccer coaches love him because he's a team player, soccer moms adore him coz he's got a humble personality, a family guy, a mom's boy. The sport needs someone like Messi as he attracts many kids to wanna be like him.

This is exactly why Madrid and Messi haters targeted his image outside the world of football last year with taxes, photos in Vegas etc.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Messi had a much bigger impact on the games than Robben. Dont just count the goals and Robben running. But I think it was a close call on who the best player was.

HOWEVER Messi is much more important to FIFA and the world of football than any other player thus they want him to stay No.1. Why? little kids love him coz he does magic and doesnt cheat or dive

spot on, I think.

btw, even Maradona, Messi fanboi #1, basically said that Messi winning the trophy is a joke.

I

instinct

I remember that Zidane was named the best player of the tournament with 3 goals (2 penaltys) and a red card in the final.

I remember that Forlan was named best player of the tournament though his team finished 4th and there were other players (Iniesta, Sneijder) who (probably) deserved it more.

But people don't complain. But now it's Messi and suddenly they freak out. Everyone has a different opionion. Some think that Robben should have won it, other people say that James should have won it but you can't say that Messi didn't deserve it. He played a great tournament

XaviMessiGirl

I see, but is that enough to win the Golden ball? GKs/defenders barely get the award I think, it's mostly given to attacking players?

To be fair, I don't think it's right that someone's position should rule them out of an award that isn't specified to be position-specific. What you're saying is true though.

F

Flavia

They just gave it to him because he was the player with most mvp's during the wc. And no player really stepped up in the final. If muller or kroos had shone in the final, they'd probably get it. But people are using this to hate on Messi. They're not criticizing fifa.

since it is relevant to an earlier discussion concerning Brazilian fan support (GER vs. ARG)... ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ged-during-the-world-cup.html?ref=sports&_r=1
The number I posted it, btw. 70-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans