Federico Marchetti

XaviMessiGirl

1zejrr.jpg

Name: Federico Marchetti
Date of Birth: 7 February 1983
Nationality: Italian
Club: Lazio
Position: Goalkeeper

I brought him up in the Handanovic thread, as far as I know Barca have not been linked to him at all but I think he would be a good choice to replace Valdes - better than Reina, likely cheaper than Handanovic, more experience than ter Stegen/Courtois/De Gea. Has a big chance to become Italy's #1 gk after Buffon retires (between him and Sirigu really, but IMO Marchetti is better).

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
So for Italian GK's it goes:

Current: Buffon

Next: Sirigu/Marchetti

Young generation: Leali/Perin

PS: to all avid watchers of Serie A, who's better/has more potential, Leali or Perin?

XaviMessiGirl

PS: to all avid watchers of Serie A, who's better/has more potential, Leali or Perin?

My knowledge of Leali is limited only to reading the papers since I don't really watch Serie B matches - he's on loan at Virtus Lanciano. I've heard a lot of good things about him, like if Juve keep hold of him he could be the next Buffon. But I can't say for sure what are his strengths or anything since I've not seen him in action. Lanciano are in 17th place in Serie B, but I'm guessing most of that can't be pinned on him based on all the praise I hear for him. Maybe one of the juventini here would be more insightful.

Perin, I've already talked about how much I like him & the praise I have for him. I remember he was linked to Barca briefly soon after Valdes announced his impending departure, however he will probably end up at Milan.

I would also add Bardi to the list of future Italian gk's, however knowing Inter he will probably be ruined & forgotten about in a few years :facepalm:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I like Perin a lot. I've said before he needs to try to catch the ball more rather than parry it out/in front of him because with a crap defense, that's just inviting more attacking chances. I haven't seen him recently so I'm not sure if he fixed that. Overall he has catlike reflexes and really really high potential, Milan would be a great team for him.

XaviMessiGirl

I like Perin a lot. I've said before he needs to try to catch the ball more rather than parry it out/in front of him because with a crap defense, that's just inviting more attacking chances. I haven't seen him recently so I'm not sure if he fixed that. Overall he has catlike reflexes and really really high potential, Milan would be a great team for him.

I agree with you there. Today Pescara were destroyed by Milan with him in goal, but I wouldn't blame him. Their defense is garbage & they were already relegated anyway. Other than that, lately when I've seen Pescara they've been using their other gk, Pelizzoli, so I haven't seen much of Perin lately either. What I think he needs is to go to a better club than Pescara (or Genoa who actually own him), but he might not be ready for a big club yet. Or Milan or whoever can buy him & send him out on loan for a season.

But there is the Perin thread if you want to continue discussing him, so this thread doesn't go too off topic.

abual3bed1

Marchetti has been in beast mode almost all season. I saw many games for Lazio and every time I watch them, Marchetti is the one saving them. His saves against Juve in both league and cup games were unreal.

XaviMessiGirl

He had several great saves today during the (less than) half he played against Argentina. Really think we should consider him.

Meitux

I think he is at the peak of his career, as already been said he had a great season. He should be considered as option.

XaviMessiGirl

Where did you see that? I was pretty sure his contract runs out in 2016.

Anyway, Lazio not having a good season so far, but I haven't been able to follow their games much lately so I don't know how much he's at fault for it.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Where did you see that? I was pretty sure his contract runs out in 2016.

Anyway, Lazio not having a good season so far, but I haven't been able to follow their games much lately so I don't know how much he's at fault for it.

No, no, free to go as in Lazio will take bids for him. I watched a few Lazio games this season. Even though Marchetti has played well/decently, his defense lets him down a lot. The article indicates rumors of problems between him and Lazio's president.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/12/lotito-marchetti-free-to-leave-lazio/?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans