FC Barcelona Finances

klc123

Yea, but the club is not giving up on Messi to save cost. Messi doesn't want to stay except on a fat contract. Which is not possible financially.

I know you're a famous shit-poster here, but I'll clarify for anyone else reading who doesn't full understand the situation:

La Liga has a rule in place that if a player's contract is reduced, for the salary cap the minimum it can be reduced to is 50% of the previous years salary. So Messi could literally play for free and it still wouldn't matter because 50% of his previous salary would still count against our cap. By all accounts apparently Messi wanted to go down to 30% of his previous contract, but it wouldn't have made any difference.

People also seem oblivious to the fact that Messi is probably the only player in the squad who was generating more revenue for the club than his previous contract was costing. Rosell and Bartomeu have set this club on the path to becoming a team like Arsenal, and you can thank the Socis who refused on multiple occasions to vote them out.

serghei

I know you're a famous shit-poster here, but I'll clarify for anyone else reading who doesn't full understand the situation:

La Liga has a rule in place that if a player's contract is reduced, for the salary cap the minimum it can be reduced to is 50% of the previous years salary. So Messi could literally play for free and it still wouldn't matter because 50% of his previous salary would still count against our cap. By all accounts apparently Messi wanted to go down to 30% of his previous contract, but it wouldn't have made any difference.

People also seem oblivious to the fact that Messi is probably the only player in the squad who was generating more revenue for the club than his previous contract was costing. Rosell and Bartomeu have set this club on the path to becoming a team like Arsenal, and you can thank the Socis who refused on multiple occasions to vote them out.

It's been covered. Everyone is free to believe what they want. The Messi subject is closed for me. I'm looking forward for a new era at Barca.

Devils

According to Brand Finance, Lionel Messi leaving Barcelona could cost the club €137 million in brand value. They would lose €77 million in business revenue, €17 million on match days and €43 million in tshirt and merchandise sales.

impeh

Hi, its me..
[Ramon Alvarez de Mon] -I calculate that to register the 4 signings, Barca will have to generate 128 and 144 million in capital gains and savings in wages. I don't think the 4 will play for Barca this season unless there is a significant pay cut from the squad.

:shakeshead:

its like somehow every day theres even worse news

Devils

Laporta was saying after the Depay signing (the last official first team signing) that there would be about 3 more signings involving player exchanges.

This cat doesn't have a goddamn clue.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The 137m figure from Brand Finance is fictitious, as it derives from an assumed "value" of the team which is 1.26 billion euros, not the actual revenue. No doubt we will lose money due to Messi's departure, but the real figure is yet to be known.

It is going to happen anyways, now or two years later, it is just the timing right now is not the best. We have to move forward to recover and grow.

snowy

The 137m figure from Brand Finance is fictitious, as it derives from an assumed "value" of the team which is 1.26 billion euros, not the actual revenue. No doubt we will lose money due to Messi's departure, but the real figure is yet to be known.

It is going to happen anyways, now or two years later, it is just the timing right now is not the best. We have to move forward to recover and grow.

J. Laurent says here they looked at Barca's numbers and Messi was responsible for 30% of the revenues (more than 200 million Euros). Even at 34, still best pound for pound playaaaa err... make that Euros

serghei

[Ramon Alvarez de Mon] -I calculate that to register the 4 signings, Barca will have to generate 128 and 144 million in capital gains and savings in wages. I don't think the 4 will play for Barca this season unless there is a significant pay cut from the squad.

:shakeshead:

its like somehow every day theres even worse news

How about the 1/4 rule that supposedly allows clubs to reinvest 25% out of savings or new income. If we save 4 times Depay's yearly wage why can't we register him based on that rule?

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
J. Laurent says here they looked at Barca's numbers and Messi was responsible for 30% of the revenues (more than 200 million Euros). Even at 34, still best pound for pound playaaaa err... make that Euros

I know, whether it was 30% of the total revenue or the 300m figure floating around earlier, I have seen it but will take it with a lot of salt.

No doubt we will take a hit financially, but if moving forward this teaches us a lesson that we will never ever tie sponsorships to a single player, it is a positive. Let the plastics leave and we go from there.

serghei

Nobody has any idea how much money we will lose lol. That is pure bullshit. Depends on many factors, the pandemic evolution, if we will have new stars breaking out etc.

malvolio

I know, whether it was 30% of the total revenue or the 300m figure floating around earlier, I have seen it but will take it with a lot of salt.

No doubt we will take a hit financially, but if moving forward this teaches us a lesson that we will never ever tie sponsorships to a single player, it is a positive. Let the plastics leave and we go from there.

?Messi costs 8 per cent of the total income of the club,? he said. ?[But] Messi generates around 30 per cent of [that] income.? - Joan Laporta

https://www.ft.com/content/080686be-dcfc-4531-923c-d04902c2bc8e

then again Laporta was campaigning at the time he said that. who knows if he was lying or not.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Nobody has any idea how much money we will lose lol. That is pure bullshit. Depends on many factors, the pandemic evolution, if we will have new stars breaking out etc.

Exactly. Perhaps they can indeed calculate the loss of revenue from sponsors by adding up those contracts that had a Messi clause in it, and perhaps they can derive the loss of jersey sales from the average number of shirts with Messi's name and number printed in the last three seasons etc. to get an idea, but pinpointing matchday revenue loss? BS.

Home of Barca Fans