FC Barcelona Finances

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Maybe just me but noticed people here barely bring up the fact that a capacity of people will be allowed to the games coming season(at least, what I read here on the forums a while ago). That should help Barca stay afloat.

It was brought up on the La Liga thread, that the CSD has lifted the ban and restrictions on attendance for all La Liga and ACB games, however it is up to the government of the respective autonomous regions and territories to decide. In Catalonia there has been a resurgence of COVID infections lately, so that is a worrying sign. I hope in a month this will be brought within control so we can start the league with some audience at least.

El Gato

Villarato!
The video has a lot of wishy washy and speculative opinions like the 160m figure and the suggestion that we could be looking to sell De Jong and Ter Stegen etc. (again, speculative and useless, we could sell the entire squad, by their token if we want to get out this situation. Then again, what is the point? Closing up shop? ) and big catchy words like "decimated" and "bankrupt" etc., again, just to grab eyeballs.

Demot Corrigan is based in Madrid and seems to report mostly on Real Madrid-related stuff, I don't know if he is a really a good resource for that video, he seemed to just have rehashed information reported and rumors circulated on the internet, nothing new and nothing we didn't know really.

No need to get paranoid and see some sort of anti-Barcelona bias. He's their La Liga correspondent and reported on Barca before.
In fact he wrote a lot of shite about Perez and Madrid operations over the years on Twitter.
It's like claiming Sid Lowe is a madridista lol

The 160 figure is not an opinion, it's an estimate. Ask him where it stems from and I'm sure they'd give you an answer closer to correct than vast majority of other information outlets. Not that important anyway.

He didn't say you could be looking at selling De Jong or Ter Stegen. Listen again.
Point he's making is pretty crystal clear: you need to clear salary -> easiest way to do that is to sell -> easiest players to sell are those that hold most value
The only opinions he presents are those of whether Messi will choose to take a huge paycut and stay.

Don't really care about sensationalism. Used all the time. Also them words mostly came out of Ornstein's mouth and you have to remember Ornstein is primarily a Premiership guy, in fact before these 1-2 years he knew nothing about the world outside Arsenal. So it's to be expected.

That's not to say much of the information is poor. It isn't. Athletic are generally very good. You can get defensive and nitpick if you like, but they're good at what they do in general.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No need to get paranoid and see some sort of anti-Barcelona bias. He's their La Liga correspondent and reported on Barca before.
In fact he wrote a lot of shite about Perez and Madrid operations over the years on Twitter.
It's like claiming Sid Lowe is a madridista lol

The 160 figure is not an opinion, it's an estimate. Ask him where it stems from and I'm sure they'd give you an answer closer to correct than vast majority of other information outlets. Not that important anyway.

He didn't say you could be looking at selling De Jong or Ter Stegen. Listen again.
Point he's making is pretty crystal clear: you need to clear salary -> easiest way to do that is to sell -> easiest players to sell are those that hold most value
The only opinions he presents are those of whether Messi will choose to take a huge paycut and stay.

Don't really care about sensationalism. Used all the time. Also them words mostly came out of Ornstein's mouth and you have to remember Ornstein is primarily a Premiership guy, in fact before these 1-2 years he knew nothing about the world outside Arsenal. So it's to be expected.

That's not to say much of the information is poor. It isn't. Athletic are generally very good. You can get defensive and nitpick if you like, but they're good at what they do in general.

I am not saying Dermot Corrigan is a Madridista or was out to get us etc., not at all, I was saying he might not be the best resource for this video, anybody on this forum who is well informed on our financial situation could be the guest on that video to say what he said, basically. They could have gone for Samuel Marsden for example who is exclusively covering Barca.

And yes, my comments were not directed at Corrigan alone, Orstein too (he was the one who said "decimated", for example, and he cheekily suggested that fans of other clubs might be thinking about which players they can get from us etc.). It is all going to shit, everybody panic! Yeah, we get it.

Anyways, a bunch of outsiders trying to make themselves appear informed and relevant. I am not watching any of Athletic's videos again for sure.

El Gato

Villarato!
anybody on this forum who is well informed on our financial situation could be the guest on that video to say what he said, basically. They could have gone for Samuel Marsden for example who is exclusively covering Barca.

They probably would have if he were affiliated with the Athletic.
Not sure Samuel Marsden claimed anything different to what Dermot did right there.
In fact the numbers Dermot quoted for salary caps in years prior match those published in Marsden's piece on Messi - https://global.espn.com/football/so...-held-up-by-la-liga-financial-rules-president
So nothing to suggest the estimate is pulled out his ass if you were more inclined to believe Marsden's

Basically you've suggested a Barcelona reporter is better informed than a neutral reporter on this specific matter. Which isn't necessarily the case at all.

he cheekily suggested that fans of other clubs might be thinking about which players they can get from us etc

And I'm sure they are. Much like United have been courting Varane who wouldn't be anywhere near the position he's in if it weren't for the pandemic cutting our spending plans.

Anyways, a bunch of outsiders trying to make themselves appear informed and relevant. I am not watching any of Athletic's videos again for sure.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All because you didn't like a suggestion the club is broke. Lol. I mean. You kind of are.
As broke as a club of this magnitude will ever get.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
They probably would have if he were affiliated with the Athletic.
Not sure Samuel Marsden claimed anything different to what Dermot did right there.
In fact the numbers Dermot quoted for salary caps in years prior match those published in Marsden's piece on Messi - https://global.espn.com/football/so...-held-up-by-la-liga-financial-rules-president
So nothing to suggest the estimate is pulled out his ass if you were more inclined to believe Marsden's

Basically you've suggested a Barcelona reporter is better informed than a neutral reporter on this specific matter. Which isn't necessarily the case at all.

And I'm sure they are. Much like United have been courting Varane who wouldn't be anywhere near the position he's in if it weren't for the pandemic cutting our spending plans.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All because you didn't like a suggestion the club is broke. Lol. I mean. You kind of are.
As broke as a club of this magnitude will ever get.

What is even the point to argue, Wolfe? You posted the video, but you are not affiliated with Athletic, you don't have to be so defensive about it.

Look, the underlying message of that video, which is we are having a financial crisis is not wrong at all and everybody knows it. Bankrupt, broke, whatever makes you happy, choose your own word. But the way they delivered it, the way they sensationalized it, it is not my cup of tea, to say it in the way the British would understand.

End of story.

El Gato

Villarato!
Me? Defensive? You got very triggered in the first place mate.
'muh they making Barca look a bad club who dont know how to handle their money'.
Get over it?

One video which didn't even get anything wrong (in fact figures cross check with those of a source you apparently prefer), just presented in a way you didn't like, get a childish response from you claiming you'll never watch another news piece from them, even though information is fairly solid.

Anyway it all started with your question of when the cap was introduced, how it works and how it'll change going forward. Which we've now answered. We'll see where the cap is.
Looks like more creative account is being done to accommodate Leo.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Me? Defensive? You got very triggered in the first place mate.
'muh they making Barca look a bad club who dont know how to handle their money'.
Get over it?

One video which didn't even get anything wrong (in fact figures cross check with those of a source you apparently prefer), just presented in a way you didn't like, get a childish response from you claiming you'll never watch another news piece from them, even though information is fairly solid.

Anyway it all started with your question of when the cap was introduced, how it works and how it'll change going forward. Which we've now answered. We'll see where the cap is.
Looks like more creative account is being done to accommodate Leo.

I have no problem with revealing the truth as it is, Tifo Football (owned by Athletic apparently) previously did a video on Barca's finances and I had zero problem with it, as it presented everything factually and didn't attempt to sensationalize anything. The one above with Orstein and Corrigan? Well, my childish response stemmed from my reaction from that video and I just don't like their presentation (including having to look at Orstein's grinning face the whole time).

Did they really explain how the salary cap will change going forward? To me, I still don't understand how it is calculated in the first place. Everybody is throwing numbers and tidbits of information without explaining anything.

PhilS

So, per SPORT, what Barca is trying to make all the salaries fit is renegotiating the existing big player contracts way downwards. Messi seems to be going along with a much lower contract. The lower Messi wages will convince the other loyal, highly paid players to take a lot less money, too.

Well, that's better than no plan at all, I guess. Can't say it seems likely to be fully successful, these players do have valid contracts now.

Prodi

There are 19 days left for the presentation of the team at the Gamper and 26 days for the first league game.
Right now I can't find any way to register Messi and signings.
There is no advanced exit operation, the Griezmann-Saul exchange falls, no movement for Coutinho, Pjanic, Umtiti, Braithwaite, no negotiation to lower wages, no new sponsorships...

khaled_a_d

There are 19 days left for the presentation of the team at the Gamper and 26 days for the first league game.
Right now I can't find any way to register Messi and signings.
There is no advanced exit operation, the Griezmann-Saul exchange falls, no movement for Coutinho, Pjanic, Umtiti, Braithwaite, no negotiation to lower wages, no new sponsorships...

We simply don't know for sure about any of that.
This is the problem about taking what us said in the press like it is what us happening in real life.
Demir signing, Trincao loan, Firpo exit all came out of no where.
And if we decide to believe those rumours believe the reports, then there is a deal in place with Messi, a guy like that with the kind of president and CEO we have won't agree on a deal without being 100% sure they will get it done

Sterlingfan2000

According to Barcelona Internal Survey , Football Fans will spend significant less in the new Season for Tickets , Shirts and Tourism Attraction. People are slowly Football tired

Home of Barca Fans