European Super League

xxxxxx

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1384520633078493185

Breaking | UEFA are in talks with an investment fund to create a new Champions' League that would have a ?4.5bn budget, which could rise to ?7bn, according to RMC & Bloomberg.

If this is true, then it proves UEFA and FIFA have no legal grounds to stop the clubs from joining their own league. Seems like they're panicking and will try to keep those big clubs in. It all depends on what % the clubs will get from it. If this only benefits UEFA and FIFA, then I suspect the other clubs won't agree to it.

Yannik

If this is true, then it proves UEFA and FIFA have no legal grounds to stop the clubs from joining their own league. Seems like they're panicking and will try to keep those big clubs in. It all depends on what % the clubs will get from it. If this only benefits UEFA and FIFA, then I suspect the other clubs won't agree to it.

The most underwhelming outcome, if instead of sanctions, bans and reforms the whole outcome of this is that UEFA just bribes the ESL clubs back in.

Sterlingfan2000

I will engage with other EU governments about possible common action against this #SuperLeague proposal.

It is wrong and would divert money away from football communities, destroying core principles on which sport is supposed to be based.[ Prime Minister of Ireland ]

LoL how many Governments are now Involved?

KingLeo10

I will engage with other EU governments about possible common action against this #SuperLeague proposal.

It is wrong and would divert money away from football communities, destroying core principles on which sport is supposed to be based.[ Prime Minister of Ireland ]

Sterling "Mighty Government" fan 2000

Adversus

The most underwhelming outcome, if instead of sanctions, bans and reforms the whole outcome of this is that UEFA just bribes the ESL clubs back in.

Unfortunately I think that is exactly what will happen and the domestic leagues will get even more uncompetitive and the teams that play in them will get smaller even if financially they will be stronger in the short term eventually leading to an even more lop sided domestic leagues a Super League will have to happen.

That's why I don't think I'm against it. I just want them to split completely. No relegation. No link with the UEFA pyramid. etc That may mean a massive financial loss for UEFA but it would be good for football fans.

xxxxxx

Looks like this will be the most likely outcome. They'll just give the bigger clubs a bigger share than what they currently get. Let's be honest here, it's teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Man United and Bayern that bring them the most money.

But the 12 clubs may still feel the Super League is a better option. Guaranteed big money every year without worrying about qualifying. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal are definitely more favour than teams like City and Chelsea are.

The thing is, I feel people are moaning too much. The game simply won't die even if the big clubs move over to the Super League full-time. The fans won't allow the game to die. They will still watch their favourite teams either live or on the TV. Football is too big of a game to die. If anything, the smaller clubs could benefit more from this. The broadcast companies could work out a better deal for all concerned. As I said, people will watch their favourite teams. People are still going to watch this Super League regardless if they're moaning or not.

I honestly don't care either way. I feel the Champions League has lost some of its magic over the years. The Super League might be a good or bad thing, but I'm not crying like some of these people are. I'll continue to watch football regardless where it is. The people that saying that football will die after this are being dramatic. Nobody will care 20 years from now on.

Last edited:

Adversus

Looks like this will be the most likely outcome. They'll just give the bigger clubs a bigger share than what they currently get. Let's be honest here, it's teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Man United and Bayern that bring them the most money.

But the 12 clubs may still feel the Super League is a better option. Guaranteed big money every year without worrying about qualifying. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal are definitely more favour than teams like City and Chelsea are.

The thing is, I feel people are moaning too much. The game simply won't die even if the big clubs move over to the Super League full-time. The fans won't allow the game to die. They will still watch their favourite teams either live or on the TV. Football is too big of a game to die. If anything, the smaller clubs could benefit more from this. The broadcast companies could work out a better deal for all concerned. As I said, people will watch their favourite teams. People are still going to watch this Super League regardless if they're moaning or not.

I honestly don't care either way. I feel the Champions League has lost some of its magic over the years. The Super League might be a good or bad thing, but I'm not crying some of these people are. I'll continue to watch football regardless where it is. The people that saying that football will die after this are being dramatic. Nobody will care 20 years from now on.
City and Chelsea still have ambitions to win things. Spurs never did and Arsenal haven't had for over a decade. They just want the guaranteed income with no fear of relegation and have no problem being the whipping boys.

Messi983

Don't they have anything better to do?

xxxxxx

City and Chelsea still have ambitions to win things. Spurs never did and Arsenal haven't had for over a decade. They just want the guaranteed income with no fear of relegation and have no problem being the whipping boys.

I know. But City and Chelsea don't need the guaranteed money as Spurs and Arsenal do.

serghei

I honestly don't care either way. I feel the Champions League has lost some of its magic over the years. The Super League might be a good or bad thing, but I'm not crying like some of these people are. I'll continue to watch football regardless where it is. The people that saying that football will die after this are being dramatic. Nobody will care 20 years from now on.

The clubs don't have the control. UEFA does, because they have been organizing European Football for over 70 years. You can play your card right and make UEFA rethink some things, which would be interesting. Or you can overplay your card, and suffer the consequences. If these clubs are banned from competitions that are under FIFA/UEFA jurisdiction, they are in big trouble.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Also, the war cry of the ESL opposition - that this move funnels away solidarity money from football communities.

UEFA, IIRC, makes about 2.5-3 billion in revenue from CL TV rights alone.

125 million of that goes to solidarity payments. That's a grand total of 5%.

Where the fuck is the rest of the money going should be the first question everyone is asking. But instead, there is a tsunami of outrage at ESL, who propose 10% solidarity share (whether Perez and co. keep their word is another matter. I'm inclined to believe not without some loopholes as they are after all billionaires). Regardless, the current model is doing next to nothing to prop up football communities.

Home of Barca Fans