European Super League

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I actually give (much) more than "0.2%" to charity every year. And believe me, it hurts my finances much more than that money hurts Barca's pocket. But thanks for the suggestion. Enjoy living in your world where Barca is really "mes que un club" then I guess.

You are mocking Barca for giving too little while not mocking those for giving less or nothing. :wave:

fergus90

and yet no roma, lyon, monaco or spurs won the competition in the last 20 years(with 1 year anomaly in porto). mighty fine competition this.

ESL could implement a promotion/relegation system, once more clubs come on board and there are lower tier leagues.

It's not always about winning the competition outright though. After all there can only be one winner.

It's also about the experience of being there, watching your team with 60,000 other people and you knock out a 'bigger' team.

If you didn't win the tournament so what, you will always cherish those individual games. You think Leicester think there 16/17 campaign was a waste? Two years before they are playing Rotherham and then fast forward the CL anthem is ringing out whilst they play a QF against a European giant.

A promotion/relegation system would be better but to me the initial seeding should be based on their current league standings and not because they generate x amount of money in USA or China or whatever.

Jadentheman

Agree with Yannik's take on it from an ethical point of view,
but harsh reality says other things: football has become entertainment looong ago, and it's inevitably to succumb to the laws that govern all business that produce entertainment.

And tbf football is an important aspect of my free time/hobbies in life.
But if I decide to revolt against the ills of capitalism, I would rather start from realms that are more 'real life' than football.

We should also be honest with ourselves. It's not only the newbies in football that want the big matches
Just ask yourselves how motivated and interested you are in watching Ferencvaros - Barca for the CL rather than PSG - Barca.

The question is who has the power to do what.
Let's assume UEFA moves on and bans the SL clubs from its competitions.
Let's assume Domestic leagues do the same.
Let's assume players are NOT allowed to play Euros and World Cup.

Then, look at what's left:
a CL without the best teams, where the final would be a Lazio - Villareal (Europa League level)
Domestic leagues where Valencia and Betis will fight for LaLiga every year
Euros and World Cups where France would feature an XI without Mbape, Griezman, Dembele, Pogba, Kante etc etc

Who is the winner? UEFA and FIFA? Domesti Leagues? Probably Not.
Or it's rather the opposite?
Fans will care only about the ESL, and the rest of the competitions will deteriorate into indifference and oblivion?

Plus, the financial aspect:
What will happen to tv rights and income for these competitions when declined that much? Will it go up or down?

As much as I hate this motherfucker Perez,
he knows what he is doing. He knows very well that big clubs have power in their hands

The top rich owners will win either way. I feel like they knew this would happen and it was a test of reaction. Should have came out with the news right after the CL final and in the offseason if they wanted to blindside everyone.

KingLeo10

You are mocking Barca for giving too little while not mocking those for giving less or nothing. :wave:

Not to mention PSG fans (like Newcomer) taking a staunch stand against this movement.

Maybe should have shown the same staunchness when Qatar took over your club.

This is why I don't like morally grounded arguments. Basically no one has 0 dirty laundry and therefore the perfect leg to stand on. I understand the criticism of the ESL from the sporting perspective and don't like the founder status in any way, shape or form, but that's on sporting grounds, not moral grounds.

Yannik

The ffp (not a bad thing in itself, regulations are needed) was the first attempt to cement the place of the elite clubs and minimize chances of an overhaul. The ESL is the step forward and it would happen with UEFA too.

FFP was the Plan B to originally having a salary cap in place. In 2009 Platini wanted to introduce the latter, had approval even of the relevant clubs, then walked up to the European comission and proposed this idea. He got it rejected however since he basically prepared his concept fuck all, then ditched the idea and introduced FFP. Quick example of how incompetent people in football have been over decades.

Jadentheman

Not to mention PSG fans (like Newcomer) taking a staunch stand against this movement.

Maybe should have shown the same staunchness when Qatar took over your club.

This is why I don't like morally grounded arguments. Basically no one has 0 dirty laundry and therefore the perfect leg to stand on. I understand the criticism of the ESL from the sporting perspective and don't like the founder status in any way, shape or form, but that's on sporting grounds, not moral grounds.

Yes having ti be a crusade against the rich and saying it's about the fans falls flat. Especially when you support oil clubs, billionaire sugar daddy clubs, etc and let them run rampant causing all kinds of damage. Especially when your organization allowed these BIG club get too BIG by allowing them to unethically poach talent or gain all the revenue. IF UEFA/FIFA cared so much they would have halted the Neymar transfer or incured severe penalties for that. FFP continues to be a joke.

Bulgroz

I specifically said that almost every club is the same, hence the impossibility for basically every team in the world to claim moral high ground. Go back to my original post about it. Obviously I took Barca as an example, considering this is a Barca fan forum, where some people (not all of them, thank god) seem to live in a fantasy world where oil clubs are pure evil whereas Barca or Utd are saints because they have "hIsTorY". I also talked about my own team (who never was particularly virtuous, but probably turned even more cynical since it got boaught by a hedge fund). Other teams are bad too. Doesn't change the fact that overall, the Unicef shirt sponsorship was a pretty cynical thing to do imho. Not the worst thing ever done by a football club, but a good illustration of how "history" doesn't necessarily means much unless it can be marketed in a convenient way.

Andresito

Staff member
If the plan fails, everything will land on Florentino (main spokesperson and current president), Agnelli (who betrayed UEFA, Italian style), on the Glazers (who provided the funds for ESL) and on the FSG (who also helped provide funds).

Would be fun if Madrid and the PL clubs would get all the blame.

Meanwhile Barcelona in the background who were in it just to survive the debt
tenor.gif

fergus90

Let's say everything about the ESL stays the same but they remove that founder status (which I think is pure BS as well) would you take it ?

I'd accept a promotion/relegation system without founders where the top league is initially comprised of top 3/4 from England, Spain, Germany, Italy top 2 from France plus the winners of Eredivise, Portuguese league.

Then the second tier comprised of the winners some of the lower profile leagues and second place from Eredivisie etc.

They all basically got there on domestic merit. I cannot accept clubs like 10th placed Arsenal who are so useless they could fall into a barrel of tits and they'd still come out sucking their thumb still somehow be rewarded.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I specifically said that almost every club is the same, hence the impossibility for basically every team in the world to claim moral high ground. Go back to my original post about it. Obviously I took Barca as an example, considering this is a Barca fan forum, where some people (not all of them, thank god) seem to live in a fantasy world where oil clubs are pure evil whereas Barca or Utd are saints because they have "hIsTorY". I also talked about my own team (who never was particularly virtuous, but probably turned even more cynical since it got boaught by a hedge fund). Other teams are bad too. Doesn't change the fact that overall, the Unicef shirt sponsorship was a pretty cynical thing to do imho. Not the worst thing ever done by a football club, but a good illustration of how "history" doesn't necessarily means much unless it can be marketed in a convenient way.

Cynical? Cynical my ass. Again, if Barca had used UNICEF purely to introduce shirt sponsorship and without ever donating money to them, or stopped donating money as soon as shirt sponsorship was introduced then you can rightfully call it cynical. Since when donating money to a charity like UNICEF year in and year out a cynical act?

I wasn’t trying to brag, as I am aware many clubs do charity work of some sorts. I came here to defend my club’s or any club’s good work when your showed your cynicism.

Home of Barca Fans