European Super League

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Great Dynamo example. Milan wouldn't bought Sheva for huge money (at the time) if he hadn't proved his class in matches against the best. What are last decade biggest surprises in the CL? Ajax, Monaco. Sorry, but these clubs are from leagues 5 & 6 in UEFA ranking. Much richer than Crvena Zvezda, Steaua or Dynamo. After successes their best players were bought out. Club started from level 3 would have to keep the squad and play 3 great seasons, unrealistic.

Yeah, Real and Barca are crushing the competition in terms of the number of fans in the world. However, Portuguese or Dutch clubs mean nothing in this respect. Without the English clubs SL makes no sense (look at the trend).
View attachment 10008

View attachment 10009

The problem is the management of LL. When in the league were Messi, Ronaldo, Pep, Mou how could they allow the Premier Legue to bounce back like that? In Italy when they saw Serie A falling behind, the government cut taxes for foreign players. What doing Tebas? He is too strict with FFP. Barca is a brand, having the biggest stars in the squad and winning trophies the financial returns would be incomparably higher.

That is right, the EPL has far more foreign fans than the Dutch and Portuguese giants. But that is only because they built the best product and those teams achieved success. Look at the Club World Cup and how many Saudi's were supporting City. 10 years ago you would hardly find any City supporting Saudis.

A club as iconic as Boca, given equal finances and opportunities, could easily become one of the best supported clubs in the world within a few years. If done properly, they really don't need the EPL clubs and could quite easily leave them in the dust.

Porque

A key detail in those charts are the positions of Inter Miami and Al Nassr.

Now alot of their numbers are because of the huge growth from zero, but it at the same time shows how quickly you can build a brand.

And that's what is potentially there for a former giant from Europe, with consistent Super League money and mileage.

Birdy

I've lived throughout my life with the current CL formula. And I loved it. The last time an Eastern European club qualified deep, the semi-finals was Dynamo Kyiv in 1998 with Shevchenko. Nowadays it's just bullshit having those Malmo, Crvena Zvezda clubs as stand ups, cannot advance from group stage, with big clubs playing 50% of their capabilities and locals celebrate a win on Liverpool like it's a Independence day. Meanwhile Liverpool having sorted their regime and programme perfectly and reaching the CL final that same year Crvena Zvezda kicked their asses.

The romance of football is over.

The romance has been over looong time. When it was the last time a small country (football wise) club won the CL?

Just as the old European cup reached its limits, and the need for something new and more exciting was evident -> hence the CL was born, where the top teams could play more games against each other via the introduciton of group stage

just as that, now the CL has looooong reached its limits and something new is needed. Now the group stage is the problem, because after constant expansions it is filled with meaningless uncompetitive games.
Perez saw this right

The most important thing is the format. The fact that the top tier league in ESL is restricted to 16 teams is what will make it interesting and exciting again, even from matchday 1

Iniesta Ultra

Since quality of players is declining everywhere Star League will help consolidate the best players among 16 teams and keep level of play more interesting than it is today among domestic leagues.

Jenks

The perception in England is that of course a club like Real Madrid would do anything to win, but people are shocked that Barcelona are degrading themselves like this.

Windhook

The perception in England is that of course a club like Real Madrid would do anything to win, but people are shocked that Barcelona are degrading themselves like this.
I have this perception that Barca are more hated in England than Real Madrid even now when we are low, low. Various reason pop up in my mind - the 2009 Chelsea game, Man Utd finals in 2009 and 2011, Arsenal and Robin Van Persie's red card due to FIFA's extremely dumb regulations of the time. Messi from 2008 till 2013 was unplayable, phenomenal and other fans were jelous Barca had him. Last but not least - Barca in that period being labelled by the media as the greatest ever team.

I have friends, die-hard Liverpool fans, who at one point used to go absolutely mad at the thought Barca and Liverpool having the same amount of CL trophies. Meanwhile they are completely okay when Real Madrid owns them every single game and final. Oh, it's fully deserved blah-blah, we have no rivalry blah-blah. They still diss Madrid, but approach those game with tail between legs.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think people in England should be more worried about their clubs being bought out by people who chop up journalists.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

That's a bit like a Dubai Porta Potty looking down on a girl trying to improve her life so she doesn't have to keep working at her local McDonald's on a minimum wage.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

I have this perception that Barca are more hated in England than Real Madrid even now when we are low, low. Various reason pop up in my mind - the 2009 Chelsea game, Man Utd finals in 2009 and 2011, Arsenal and Robin Van Persie's red card due to FIFA's extremely dumb regulations of the time. Messi from 2008 till 2013 was unplayable, phenomenal and other fans were jelous Barca had him. Last but not least - Barca in that period being labelled by the media as the greatest ever team.

I have friends, die-hard Liverpool fans, who at one point used to go absolutely mad at the thought Barca and Liverpool having the same amount of CL trophies. Meanwhile they are completely okay when Real Madrid owns them every single game and final. Oh, it's fully deserved blah-blah, we have no rivalry blah-blah. They still diss Madrid, but approach those game with tail between legs.
Everyone is a cuck for Madrid these days. If only they knew how they ' won ' their titles.

The worst are Bayern fans. Literally got robbed blind by Madrid twice and still can't wait to praise them.

lucas24

That is right, the EPL has far more foreign fans than the Dutch and Portuguese giants. But that is only because they built the best product and those teams achieved success. Look at the Club World Cup and how many Saudi's were supporting City. 10 years ago you would hardly find any City supporting Saudis.

A club as iconic as Boca, given equal finances and opportunities, could easily become one of the best supported clubs in the world within a few years. If done properly, they really don't need the EPL clubs and could quite easily leave them in the dust.
Of course 16-20 clubs, salary cap + draft would make SL extremely attractive. But is this feasible? It would be necessary to circumvent EU law and invest huge money. Rivals will not give up stars so easily. Look what Saudi Arabia is doing. There clubs don't count their expenditure at all. The government gives them money for everything. Agree about City. Winning the CL may have resulted in an increase popularity. Spurs was the most impressive. 30% increase despite losing their biggest star. Is this due to the tour of Australia?

You are right about Brazil. It's a huge market and the data from that region may even be understated (less popularity/access to social media?). People in Brazil, Argentina and Mexico love football. If Flo had been able to do the broadcast for free and attract advertisers, it might have worked. Personally, I fear a split into 2 factions. Already football has to compete with a million other pastimes.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Yet more example of a cabal. Closed shop without any competition is what the status quo wants. They need to be very very careful though. The European leagues stand to lose way more if their big clubs leave than the individual clubs do who have left their respective leagues.

Laporta and Flo would probably piss their pants in laughter if La Liga threatened this. Who is watching La Liga without Barca or Real ? Any remaining big clubs would be bending over backwards to join the ESL within a few years.

UEFA and the leagues reminds me of a hard man who is approaching old age. They don't even realise they have lost all the power and nobody is scared of them anymore.

I reiterate, if done properly ( and I admit the chances of this are small ) the ESL will blow the leagues, including the EPL, out of the water. Not that the EPL clubs wouldn't want to be in from the start, they are just spinning their PR, for now.

iniestaGOAT

Barca president Joan Laporta on Catalan radio about the SuperLeague
-I dont care if the English clubs join.
-Porto, Sporting, Benfica, Anderlecht, Bruges, Ajax, PSV, OM, I think we can get around 16-18 clubs.
-If it doesn't start in the 25/26 season, I'll consider rejoining UEFA.

Laporta: "As of now, these are the teams in the Super League: Barcelona, Madrid, Inter, Milan, Napoli, Roma, Marseille, three Dutch teams, Brugge, and Anderlecht. In 1955, only 16 or 18 teams played the European Cup, and it eventually became the biggest tournament."

We got bigger fish to fry.
We not concerned about what nerds are saying about us, myself, laporta and Xavi

On fucking Barca forum

Home of Barca Fans