European Super League

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Neither can the CL be called the CL without the Spanish and Italian teams in it.

Of course it can go ahead without the EPL teams. The whole reason for this is the EPL taking over and becoming so financially strong.

A ESL with top European teams in it can challenge the EPL and spending power with or without those English teams.

I believe the Italian government also opposes it, perhaps not going so far as to enacting a law to forbid the Italians teams to participate like the British but still.

I understand why they want to do it, but an ESL with a handful of Spanish teams plus some other teams here and there, without much public support can't compete with the CL with the English, German, and potentially Italian and French teams as well, and with public support.

Sure the CL will suffer if the ESL does happen but my point is, can the ESL really be a monetary success without the English teams and other heavy weights participating in it? I don't think so. It is like an el Clasico +.

Sterlingfan2000

I believe the Italian government also opposes it, perhaps not going so far as to enacting a law to forbid the Italians teams to participate like the British but still.

I understand why they want to do it, but an ESL with a handful of Spanish teams plus some other teams here and there, without much public support can't compete with the CL with the English, German, and potentially Italian and French teams as well, and with public support.

Sure the CL will suffer if the ESL does happen but my point is, can the ESL really be a monetary success without the English teams and other heavy weights participating in it? I don't think so. It is like an el Clasico +.

It will be open and the English team have binding contracts. If they don't start 400M Penalty fee.

400*6 = 2,4B for the Super League Clubs

Mateka

Ihm yes since they are competing in Europe they have to follow European Laws

Article 165 of the Lisbon Treaty appears key, but there are 13 pages.

Interesting one point:

Promoting fairness and openness in sporting competitions
2.1 Maintaining the fundamental principle of promotion and relegation
(v) UEFA invites the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Council of the EU and the Member states to reaffirm their support for the principles of promotion and relegation and accessibility of competitions.

Last edited:

Mateka

Ed Woodward is set to leave Manchester United on Feb 1st and last season's European Super League discussions have played a role in his departure.
16 years with the Manchester club. 9 years as Executive director.

However, it has emerged that a disagreement between the Glazers and Woodward regarding the failed European Super League plot played a big part in the latter deciding to move on.

Joel Glazer issued an apology to United's fans.

“You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and we have listened. We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right," Glazer said at the time.
"Although the wounds are raw and I understand that it will take time for the scars to heal, I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans and learning from the message you delivered with such conviction."

This wasn't enough to prevent Woodward walking away, though, with The Times reporting that the Super League plot was "the catalyst" for his decision.
Daily Mirror

Home of Barca Fans