European Super League

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That is not hypocrisy and it has been public knowledge and repeated constantly they have not formally withdrawn fully due to possible sanctions.

They wont be part of ESL that is all anyone who wanted them out care about not being duped by clubs saying one thing and doing the other.

So getting out of the ESL (or anything legally binding) is that easy, basically just saying "We are sorry and we are out" will do?

Are they out or not out officially?

JamDav1982

So getting out of the ESL (or anything legally binding) is that easy, basically just saying "We are sorry and we are out" will do?

Are they out or not out officially?

What are you on about?

They have said they have listened to fans and wont proceed to be part of the ESL.

From there the fans and anyone else want them to withdraw in way which benefits the club and that is where they are at.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Contrarily this now gives the ESL trio time to build this project without the threat of Uefa. The fact this has (or is going to be) determined in a Swiss court was a genius move as it juristicts the current movements of FIFA and UEFA by their home country.

So now Floro can build teams teams and leagues who agree to join. Can the ESL guarantee more downside than the CL to teams from Portugal, Spain, Italy, Netherlands and possibly Russia, Turkey.

If the answer is yes then we can very well see a breakaway with a ESL consisting of Spanish, Italian, Portuguese teams and a CL consisting of English, French (well PSG), German teams.

EFL can easily win the global tv viewership if they do the opposite of the CL and focus on streaming service + Freeview rights sales (obv they would be blacklisted in the UK because of government intervention, and they say no monopoly exists lol).

From this you can see that the key battle ground would be Germany. The CL would just become a glorified EPL cup without the German, Spanish, Italian sides while the ESL would appear kind of week with just the top Spanish and Italian sides.

The last to join would be the EPL and only after proof of concept and proof of success.

This is how I see it playing out in all likelehood. It would be a marathon, not a sprint as Florentino foolishly initially thought.

I think this is a wishful thinking. ESL or any future competition without the EPL clubs and the German powerhouses (the French league carries a lot less weight) will have a very hard time competing against the CL with the EPL clubs, the German and French clubs etc. The Italian FA is totally against the ESL idea too so you can't count on the Italian clubs to be included in the ESL or its future versions either. Basically just the Spanish clubs plus some other rather insignificant continental clubs, against a CL with the English, German, French and possibly Italian clubs backed by UEFA, not that many viewers would choose the former, I think.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What are you on about?

They have said they have listened to fans and wont proceed to be part of the ESL.

From there the fans and anyone else want them to withdraw in way which benefits the club and that is where they are at.

What am I on about? Saying they are hypocrites. What are you on about? Being argumentative?

Let's just agree to disagree here.

JamDav1982

I think this is a wishful thinking. ESL or any future competition without the EPL clubs and the German powerhouses (the French league carries a lot less weight) will have a very hard time competing against the CL with the EPL clubs, the German and French clubs etc. The Italian FA is totally against the ESL idea too so you can't count on the Italian clubs to be included in the ESL or its future versions either. Basically just the Spanish clubs plus some other rather insignificant continental clubs, against a CL with the English, German, French and possibly Italian clubs backed by UEFA, not that many viewers would choose the former, I think.

The CL was die off as any significance when dont have all of the top teams in it.

Porque

Probably. I'm just giving a scenario of how it could play out.

That you move away from the teams guaranteed to be placed (lets be honest Barcelona, Madrid are 99% sure to qualify anyways) and do the ESL with top 4 Spain, top 4 Italy, top 3 Portugal, top 3 Netherlands (just as an idea for the first year). Or a model like that.

So you get the big clubs who are guaranteed to finish top 4 involved on board first, and then convince the leagues.

So participating teams are guaranteed more earnings than the CL and also participating leagues are guaranteed more grassroots allocations (I believe the original ESL plan did this but it wasn't marketed).

The big problem is then what happens to the Europa League level teams. Ideally you would need a ESL2 proposal for this model. UEFA Prize money for the Europa League this past season was 500m so it would need to be more fruitful than that.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Probably. I'm just giving a scenario of how it could play out.

That you move away from the teams guaranteed to be placed (lets be honest Barcelona, Madrid are 99% sure to qualify anyways) and do the ESL with top 4 Spain, top 4 Italy, top 3 Portugal, top 3 Netherlands (just as an idea for the first year). Or a model like that.

So you get the big clubs who are guaranteed to finish top 4 involved on board first, and then convince the leagues.

So participating teams are guaranteed more earnings than the CL and also participating leagues are guaranteed more grassroots allocations (I believe the original ESL plan did this but it wasn't marketed).

The big problem is then what happens to the Europa League level teams. Ideally you would need a ESL2 proposal for this model. UEFA Prize money for the Europa League this past season was 500m so it would need to be more fruitful than that.

This is the biggest problem/question mark in my opinion. Money comes from TV/broadcasting contracts and sponsorship deals, which tend to flock to wherever the most viewers are, whatever the sport and the nature of the competition is. At least at the beginning, the new ESL will not attract enough viewers to garner that kind of money to allocate to the clubs that participate in it, I am afraid. So clubs will have to be sold on the potential and promise of the ESL in the long run to participate, because in the short run they might be getting a lot more money from the CL and the EL than the ESL.

cro-man

These clowns of uefa couldnt punish city even them spitting on their rules. I wouldnt be surprised if they loose here as well.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans