Eto'o vs Suarez : who was Closer of the ballon d'or ?

Messigician

I know that 13-14 season of Suarez but you definitely not know the 10-11 season of Eto'o. Suarez didn't play the champions League that season and he wasn't clutch : no goal against Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham. Now just look at Samuel Eto'o version 2010-2011 with this video with the 69 goals of Inter Milan that season.
https://youtu.be/hDFo566jeyo
It's Inter Milan who cares

Higuain scored like 100000000 goals in Serie A

RevoTeller

Suarez was great, for sure an elite forward, but I pick prime Eto'o any day of the week, twice on Tuesday and Wednesday.

-- Suarez maybe scored more goals but he played at Barca who had MSN and there was tons of space for him since 2-3 players had to mark Messi and 1-2 Neymar
-- in Suarez's days, our team was way before
-- in Suarez's days, goals stats in whole football were inflated because the difference between rich and poor teams became bigger and we entered into an era where Barca often won 6:0 and 7:1 at Camp Nou, while CR7 was statpadding in 11:1 wins
(AC Milan with in 1994 scored only 36 goals in the whole Seria A season. With that logic, CR7, Suarez, Neymar, Lewa, Benz alone were all better than the whole AC Milan who won 4:0 vs Barca in a CL final in 1994')
-- in Etoo's days, results were closer to 1:0 and 2:0, not because HE was bad
-- also, it is interesting how Suarez is supposedly better for statpadding in La Liga while he had like 1-2 goals in 20 CL KO matches in one moment

Suarez with his CL performances managed to get only 1 CL final in 6 years with Messi and 3 years with MSN.
Etoo was a key player in Barca's first CL win in 2006 after 12 years of being a joke (something like today) in his 2nd season here, scoring in a final for 1:1 in a match where all other Barca's key players (except Larsson) played like usual Barca DNA mental midgets.

To me, Suarez was a guy who was statpadding in La Liga in the best/most expensive team in the world and underperformed in CL for years.
Etoo was a guy who brought eternal losers, Barca, back on top and started an era which will have it's peak during Pep.

For me, Etoo's peak was in his first two seasons, in 2004/05 and 2005/06.
Back then, Barca's last CL was won in 1992 and Barca's last Liga title was won in 1999'.
Etoo came in 2004 and Barca won 2 La Ligas in a row and a CL in 2006'.

Also, Etoo whined back then that if he were named Etodinho and if he came from Brazil, that he would have won BDOr.
And I agree with that. African players are not as fancy and interesting for a popularity/marketing contest named Bdor.

Back then, I bought Etoo's shirt and in 2004-2006, he was imo better/had a bigger impact than Ronaldinho.
Etoo 2004-2006:

Spot on, totally agree.
Eto'o was clutch, ruthless, decisive (much more than Ronaldinho) and truly instrumental in writing history for:

- Camerun (Olympic Gold + 2 African Cups, top scorer ever of both Camerun and AFCON),
- Mallorca (Mallorca in its history won only one cup, that is the Copa del Rey, with a brace in final from Eto'o; Mallorca went in Champions League once and it was with Eto'o up front, who is of course the international top scorer ever for the club)
- Barcelona (do I even have to start talking about this? The most important stat is this one: when Eto'o was badly injured in 2007 and 2008 seasons, Barca - with Ronaldinho, Henry, Xavi, etc. but without him - won jackshit. Before 2007 and after 2008, the seasons with Eto'o at his best are in the history books of this club)
- Inter (he won everything, the 2010/2011 is his best individual season ever and he is regarded by many Inter fans as one of the top 3 Inter best players of last 35 years alongside Matthaus and Ronaldo de Lima)

Suarez was better. You can build a great team around Suarez, less so with Eto'o. Eto'o didn't prove himself by being the focal point of attack at Barca or Inter. An elite, elite #2 but never a #1.

Totally false: in 2010/2011 Eto'o contributed to 53 goals + assists in 53 games for Inter, while playing second striker and attacking winger on the left and while being with Sneijder the all-rounder most creative player of the team.
He has been the best dribbler of Serie A as well, he took freekicks and corners for Inter and scored a brace in the Italian Supercup final (victory + man of the match), a brace in the Italian Cup final (victory + man of the match) and provided a goal + assist in the Fifa Club World Cup final (victory, man of the match and awarded Golden Ball of the tournament).
In the 2010/2011 season, Inter scored 104 goals in all competitions with Eto'o that directly contributed to 53 goals (37 goals + 16 assists) in 53 games, with a direct involvement in 51% of his total team goals.
This is an incredible percentage, and all of this while NOT playing as a first striker, because the first strikers were Milito and Pazzini.
To give some context, 2014-2015 Cristiano Ronaldo (arguably the peak version of CR7 at Madrid) contributed (G + A) to 52% of Real Madrid total goals amount.
Even the peak versions of Suarez do not match that, nor during his 2013-2014 season with Liverpool (50 G + A contribution over 110 total goals for Liverpool, leading to a 45% direct involvement), nor during his 2015-2016 peak Barcelona season (83 G + A contribution over 173 total goals of the team, for a 48% direct involvement).

2010/2011 Eto'o was equal or dare I say even batter than 2013-2014 Suarez in terms of impact on his own team.

Fun fact: without Eto'o, 2011/2012 Inter won nothing and finished 6th in Serie A, 26 points below Juventus. Without Suarez, 2014-2015 Liverpool won nothing and finished 6th in Premier, 25 points below Chelsea.

In terms of all-round quality, impact, skills and level of the game, 2010/2011 Eto'o has been the second best player in the world that season, only behind Messi.

As much as I love Suarez , I don't think Eto'o would have went 6 years with scoring only 1 away goal in CL , especially with Messi by his side.

That's for sure. That stat has been quite comical and sad at the same time. :lol:

Suarez. Eto'o is comically overrated on this forum.

"Eto'o is comically overrated".
That's rich coming from a stan of Lewandowski, a discount version of Ibrahimovic and a stat-padding, flat-track bully who shits the bed when it really matters.

Last edited:

Etoshow

Suarez was great, for sure an elite forward, but I pick prime Eto'o any day of the week, twice on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Spot on, totally agree.
Eto'o was clutch, ruthless, decisive (much more than Ronaldinho) and truly instrumental in writing history for:

- Camerun (Olympic Gold + 2 African Cups, top scorer ever of both Camerun and AFCON),
- Mallorca (Mallorca in its history won only one cup, that is the Copa del Rey, with a brace in final from Eto'o; Mallorca went in Champions League once and it was with Eto'o up front, who is of course the international top scorer ever for the club)
- Barcelona (do I even have to start talking about this? The most important stat is this one: when Eto'o was badly injured in 2007 and 2008 seasons, Barca - with Ronaldinho, Henry, Xavi, etc. but without him - won jackshit. Before 2007 and after 2008, the seasons with Eto'o at his best are in the history books of this club)
- Inter (he won everything, the 2010/2011 is his best individual season ever and he is regarded by many Inter fans as one of the top 3 Inter best players of last 35 years alongside Matthaus and Ronaldo de Lima)

Totally false: in 2010/2011 Eto'o contributed to 53 goals + assists in 53 games for Inter, while playing second striker and attacking winger on the left and while being with Sneijder the all-rounder most creative player of the team.
He has been the best dribbler of Serie A as well, he took freekicks and corners for Inter and scored a brace in the Italian Supercup final (victory + man of the match), a brace in the Italian Cup final (victory + man of the match) and provided a goal + assist in the Fifa Club World Cup final (victory, man of the match and awarded Golden Ball of the tournament).
In the 2010/2011 season, Inter scored 104 goals in all competitions with Eto'o that directly contributed to 53 goals (37 goals + 16 assists) in 53 games, with a direct involvement in 51% of his total team goals.
This is an incredible percentage, and all of this while NOT playing as a first striker, because the first strikers were Milito and Pazzini.
To give some context, 2014-2015 Cristiano Ronaldo (arguably the peak version of CR7 at Madrid) contributed (G + A) to 52% of Real Madrid total goals amount.
Even the peak versions of Suarez do not match that, nor during his 2013-2014 season with Liverpool (50 G + A contribution over 110 total goals for Liverpool, leading to a 45% direct involvement), nor during his 2015-2016 peak Barcelona season (83 G + A contribution over 173 total goals of the team, for a 48% direct involvement).

2010/2011 Eto'o was equal or dare I say even batter than 2013-2014 Suarez in terms of impact on his own team.

Fun fact: without Eto'o, 2011/2012 Inter won nothing and finished 6th in Serie A, 26 points below Juventus. Without Suarez, 2014-2015 Liverpool won nothing and finished 6th in Premier, 25 points below Chelsea.

In terms of all-round quality, impact, skills and level of the game, 2010/2011 Eto'o has been the second best player in the world that season, only behind Messi.

That's for sure. That stat has been quite comical and sad at the same time. :lol:

"Eto'o is comically overrated".
That's rich coming from a stan of Lewandowski, a discount version of Ibrahimovic and a stat-padding, flat-track bully who shits the bed when it really matters.

Masterclass 🙌🤝

Total-Football

Suarez. Eto'o is comically overrated on this forum.

U are a retard.

Etoo left mallorque as one of the best players in their history ,and won a title with them.

Joined barca and became one of top scorers of all time and won everything.

Joined inter and scored the most amount of goals in their history tied with no other than R9 (38 goals) and won everything.

Etoo with the national team is the best scorer in the history of African cup and won the cup twice.

That's leaving a mark with 4 totally different teams in different environments, and leaving a huge mark in each.
Only thing that stopped him was that offer from Russia because at 31 he hit his absolute prime and with his discipline he was going to be a world class for few more years.

Last edited:

Total-Football

My tiers of the 9s i have watched in my lifetime ( I will exclude long lengetivity+penaldo).

Tier premium Fat ronaldo
Tier 1 : Henry - eto'o - torres (Liverpool version)- ibrahimovic
Tier 2: Drogba- shevshenco- benzema- villa - suarez-lewa
Tier 3 : nisterloy - prime Owen - raul

If anyone is overrated it's benzema . Was hesitant to put him between tier 2 and tier 3. I guess he is slightly overrated because of longetivity. Dude has never been a killer in the box in his life like some other hitters there in his tier or the one I put above him.

jamrock

U are a retard.

Etoo left mallorque as one of the best players in their history ,and won a title with them.

Joined barca and became one of top scorers of all time and won everything.

Joined inter and scored the most amount of goals in their history tied with no other than R9 (38 goals) and won everything.

Etoo with the national team is the best scorer in the history of African cup and won the cup twice.

That's leaving a mark with 4 totally different teams in different environments, and leaving a huge mark in each.
Only thing that stopped him was that offer from Russia because at 31 he hit his absolute prime and with his discipline he was going to be a world class for few more years.

This person gets the greatest of Eto'o.

Bobo32

They were similarly good, but Suarez is the same age as Messi, so.
Eto'o could maybe sort of have a case some year, even if I don't remember which, Suarez wasn't ever close to Messi, and I believe Ronaldo too either scored more or won more pretty much every year.

khaled_a_d

Eto was 5th in ballon, 3rd in FIFA award (was a good rival to ballon at least for fans outside Europe), Suarez finished 6th at best.
So historically Eto was closer.

As who is better, it is tough tbh and Nostalgia is huge part in discussion but I have Eto for me.
Eto was more complete and far more sound tactically, you could put him as a wing or give him a defensive role and he would do it really well.
For 2 players who has many similarities, I really appreciate that quality tbh

PS: just checked the thread for 1st time, so sorry if folks already said similar info

Temptation

My tiers of the 9s i have watched in my lifetime ( I will exclude long lengetivity+penaldo).

Tier premium Fat ronaldo

If anyone is overrated it's benzema . Was hesitant to put him between tier 2 and tier 3. I guess he is slightly overrated because of longetivity. Dude has never been a killer in the box in his life like some other hitters there in his tier or the one I put above him.
Goes on to put Zlatan a tier above RL9 and Suarez. RETARD. :lol:

Total-Football

Goes on to put Zlatan a tier above RL9 and Suarez. RETARD. :lol:

Those strikers are in that tier for a reason. They are not mere poachers. They are legit ballers who play at the 9 position and still are efficient as fuck and less relying on external service.

Temptation

Those strikers are in that tier for a reason. They are not mere poachers. They are legit ballers who play at the 9 position and still are efficient as fuck and less relying on external service.

Zlatan's hold up play is bang average. He was weak in the air for most of his career. Improved his heading very late into his career. Never had the pace to be an effective and efficient dribbler. As it is, "reliant on service" is one of the dumbest things some Football fans bang on about. Haaland will probably go on to be one of the best 9s ever. You'll probably put him few tiers below because of that service argument too. :lol:

Scoring a few acrobatic bangers doesn't mean he's not reliant on service.

As it is, the man got tons of service in CL games and made nothing out of it.....let alone making things happen on his own. Even in his decent PL stint with United he was missing chances for fun and robbed Pogba of many assists.

Putting Zlatan a tier above RL9 and Suarez is comical.

He shouldn't even be in the same tier with them.

Most people here would rate Benzema above Zlatan too.

Etoshow

Eto was 5th in ballon, 3rd in FIFA award (was a good rival to ballon at least for fans outside Europe), Suarez finished 6th at best.
So historically Eto was closer.

As who is better, it is tough tbh and Nostalgia is huge part in discussion but I have Eto for me.
Eto was more complete and far more sound tactically, you could put him as a wing or give him a defensive role and he would do it really well.
For 2 players who has many similarities, I really appreciate that quality tbh

PS: just checked the thread for 1st time, so sorry if folks already said similar info

Suarez finished 4th for the 2016 ballon d'or. However, I feel like 2006 Eto'o was a better contender for the ballon d'or just like 2009 than Suarez. Just feel like he would win it if he wasn't african. Let me remind you that he was the best player of the team in 2006 according to a lot of people and professionals, not to mention the members of the club back then who said he deserved that ballon d'or.

I think Suarez missed to be the main man for a champions League and la Liga winning season the way Eto'o was in 2006 for example.

Last edited:

Morten

Tier premium Fat ronaldo

I agree with some and disagree with others, i for one can't really take Zlatan seriously as an elite striker with how lackluster he was in UCL, he was a great striker, but just not elite imo.

Andresito

Staff member
Yes Ibra cannot objectively be in that tier. Must be some personal favourite of the poster.

As for politics in Bd'Or it goes both ways. Suarez' reputation was heavily stained due to his controversial moments.
At the time there it was said something along the lines of the criteria isn't purely based on footballing success, it demands the player to behave reasonably well too.

Horatio

You're welcome

Tier premium Fat ronaldo

Who is that?

Home of Barca Fans