Eto'o vs Suarez : who was Closer of the ballon d'or ?

Etoshow

-- Suarez maybe scored more goals but he played at Barca who had MSN and there was tons of space for him since 2-3 players had to mark Messi and 1-2 Neymar
-- in Suarez's days, our team was way before
-- in Suarez's days, goals stats in whole football were inflated because the difference between rich and poor teams became bigger and we entered into an era where Barca often won 6:0 and 7:1 at Camp Nou, while CR7 was statpadding in 11:1 wins
(AC Milan with in 1994 scored only 36 goals in the whole Seria A season. With that logic, CR7, Suarez, Neymar, Lewa, Benz alone were all better than the whole AC Milan who won 4:0 vs Barca in a CL final in 1994')
-- in Etoo's days, results were closer to 1:0 and 2:0, not because HE was bad
-- also, it is interesting how Suarez is supposedly better for statpadding in La Liga while he had like 1-2 goals in 20 CL KO matches in one moment

Suarez with his CL performances managed to get only 1 CL final in 6 years with Messi and 3 years with MSN.
Etoo was a key player in Barca's first CL win in 2006 after 12 years of being a joke (something like today) in his 2nd season here, scoring in a final for 1:1 in a match where all other Barca's key players (except Larsson) played like usual Barca DNA mental midgets.

To me, Suarez was a guy who was statpadding in La Liga in the best/most expensive team in the world and underperformed in CL for years.
Etoo was a guy who brought eternal losers, Barca, back on top and started an era which will have it's peak during Pep.

For me, Etoo's peak was in his first two seasons, in 2004/05 and 2005/06.
Back then, Barca's last CL was won in 1992 and Barca's last Liga title was won in 1999'.
Etoo came in 2004 and Barca won 2 La Ligas in a row and a CL in 2006'.

Also, Etoo whined back then that if he were named Etodinho and if he came from Brazil, that he would have won BDOr.
And I agree with that. African players are not as fancy and interesting for a popularity/marketing contest named Bdor.

Back then, I bought Etoo's shirt and in 2004-2006, he was imo better/had a bigger impact than Ronaldinho.
Etoo 2004-2006:

This is the best post of this topic. I do completely share your opinion and yeah I didn't even think about the stats inflation since a decade.

serghei

Suarez was better. You can build a great team around Suarez, less so with Eto'o. Eto'o didn't prove himself by being the focal point of attack at Barca or Inter. An elite, elite #2 but never a #1.

Suarez was #3 in that elite Barca team, after Messi and Neymar.

Messigician

Suarez was #3 in that elite Barca team, after Messi and Neymar.

Suarez was pressing machine and doing dirty work

The current trending red cafe thread right now is was Siarez the perfect striker for modern football?

The vast majority say yes

Messigician

🇺🇾 Luis Suarez stats in Europe:
👕 691 games
⚽ 436 goals
🎯 238 assists
🤝🏽 674 goal contributions

Etoshow

Suarez was better. You can build a great team around Suarez, less so with Eto'o. Eto'o didn't prove himself by being the focal point of attack at Barca or Inter. An elite, elite #2 but never a #1.

Eto'o proved himself with Mallorca, Barcelona and Inter Milan. His best season statistically is in 10-11 with Inter Milan and he was the focal point.
2010-2011 : 37 goals and 17 assists, the best dribbler of Serie A.

Sailor Mars

Eto'o proved himself with Mallorca, Barcelona and Inter Milan. His best season statistically is in 10-11 with Inter Milan and he was the focal point.
2010-2011 : 37 goals and 17 assists, the best dribbler of Serie A.

Not as good as Suarez's 13/14 season with Liverpool.

And the years before that with Barca and Inter, he had Ronaldinho, Messi, and Sneijder who were the straws that stirred the drink on the front line.

Etoshow

Not as good as Suarez's 13/14 season with Liverpool.

And the years before that with Barca and Inter, he had Ronaldinho, Messi, and Sneijder who were the straws that stirred the drink on the front line.

Not as good 🧐 ? Bro did you watch him that season to say he wasn't as good as Suarez with Liverpool ? That's your opinion and I respect it but Eto'o that season with Inter was a beast. And before that, Eto'o wasn't the main striker in 09-10 but with Bar?a he was definitely. He was the best player of the team for some seasons like 2006. Suarez didn't even play champions League with Liverpool.

Messigician

Not as good 🧐 ? Bro did you watch him that season to say he wasn't as good as Suarez with Liverpool ? That's your opinion and I respect it but Eto'o that season with Inter was a beast. And before that, Eto'o wasn't the main striker in 09-10 but with Bar?a he was definitely. He was the best player of the team for some seasons like 2006. Suarez didn't even play champions League with Liverpool.

Yeah look at the crazy goals Suarez scored

Outside the box header for one

BarcaOG

Banned
etoo was an elite 9

suarez was too but he was also a very good playmaker/link up play forward in a way etoo was not

BarcaOG

Banned
also dont get me wrong. i loved etoo and i think pep really fucked up trading him at his peak. he was amazing for inter the year he left us and he might well have been the difference between our 09-10 season and a back to back CL run

Etoshow

etoo was an elite 9

suarez was too but he was also a very good playmaker/link up play forward in a way etoo was not

Don't get me wrong but I don't see Suarez as a playmaker but as a pure and elite 9. It isn't because you make assists it means you're a playmaker. Suarez even at his peak with wasn't a good dribbler and his combination and link up play wasn't that good. I remember a lot of games he failed a lot of passes for combinations with his partners of the front line.

By the way it's a shame we didn't get the 3 points today vs Espanyol. We'll talk about it on the appropriate thread.

CatalinR10

As much as I love Suarez , I don't think Eto'o would have went 6 years with scoring only 1 away goal in CL , especially with Messi by his side.

Etoshow

Yeah look at the crazy goals Suarez scored

Outside the box header for one

I know that 13-14 season of Suarez but you definitely not know the 10-11 season of Eto'o. Suarez didn't play the champions League that season and he wasn't clutch : no goal against Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham. Now just look at Samuel Eto'o version 2010-2011 with this video with the 69 goals of Inter Milan that season.
https://youtu.be/hDFo566jeyo

Home of Barca Fans