Ernesto Valverde

BarcaOG

Banned
This is hilarious, never heard sacked coach being blamed for results that happened after 8 months, not to mention the covid and injury issues that happened in the middle.

Take a look at the history of this thread. When EV was actually our coach, most of us sensed that a third CL humiliation was basically inevitable. We all saw it coming. Go back to the beginning of this thread and refresh your selective memory.

Yep, EV bears ultimate responsibility for the 8-2 fiasco.

LeeRomeno

Take a look at the history of this thread. When EV was actually our coach, most of us sensed that a third CL humiliation was basically inevitable. We all saw it coming. Go back to the beginning of this thread and refresh your selective memory.

Funniest thing ive read today, thanx.

BarcaOG

Banned
This makes no sense and who are beta fans lol?

The likes of you who think EV's abysmal CL failures are defensible and acceptable for a club of our stature. Sort of like an Arsenal mentality: who cares if Bayern destroys us 10-2 over two matches!

khaled_a_d

Hmmm, what you said in first paragraph still doesn't explain how he is responsible for 3rd humiliations, like at all

LeeRomeno

The likes of you who think EV's abysmal CL failures are defensible and acceptable for a club of our stature. Sort of like an Arsenal mentality: who cares if Bayern destroys us 10-2 over two matches!

The gift that keeps on giving i can see. First of all, it is pretty ironical you bring Arsenal here. Club, where fans were rejoiced after getting rid of Wenger, that good times will return, just to discover later, that the problem was not so much about in coach, but owners, management, recruits, scouting etc. I bet all Arsenal fans would give everything to get the success Valverde had here, back to back league titles and cup win + good runs in CL vs being europa league team that has fallen from grace in Premier league.
Secondly, we are talking about Setiens team losing to Bayern 8-2. What 10-2 over two matches are you now talking about? Maybe you need to refresh your memory, both our exits from CL with Valverde were actually very close and decided by 1 goal difference and away goal.
Also, no one has said anything about Valverde having his fair share of blame in those exists. Entire discussion here is about them not being only his fault and secondly, loss that happens after 8 months of sacking of coach can in no fcking universe be his fault.

Morten

Again, imagine hating a manager so much that you can't ever stop complaining about him.

Katarina1

Banned

Lucho bears responsibility for Roma and Anfield then

Richard.H

It was a huge error by the board not firing EV at the end of the 18/19 season. Just horrible planning. I can't blame Setien too much because he only had a few months to prepare like BarcaOG mentioned.

Katarina1

Banned

That's actually BS. Most of you said that EV was holding us back and that we would be a top 2-3 team once he left. Then you all got proven wrong so you had to act like the ghost of EV was still hanging around or something.

Richard.H

both our exits from CL with Valverde were actually very close and decided by 1 goal difference and away goal.

This is an extremely optimistic view of the situation. Yes it was a 1 goal difference in both Roma and Liverpool, but you can't just lose a 2 goal and 3 goal lead so easily. That's downright embarrassing even for Arsenal. He was great in the league and I don't think anyone is debating that. However, I am almost 100 % certain that casual fans will remember those seasons for the CL humiliations rather than his consistency in the league. It just lowers the reputation of the club. You can't tolerate losses like that. PSG fans to this day are mocked for the remontada.

Last edited:

soul24rage

This is an extremely optimistic view of the situation. Yes it was a 1 goal difference in both Roma and Liverpool, but you can't just lose a 2 goal and 3 goal lead so easily. That's downright embarrassing even for Arsenal. He was great in the league and I don't think anyone is debating that. However, I am almost 100 % certain that casual fans will remember those seasons for the CL humiliations rather than his consistency in the league. It just lowers the reputation of the club. You can't tolerate losses like that. PSG fans to this day are mocked for the remontada.

I just came to this thread and I agree with you. Comments like "decided by 1 goal difference" really irks me and I don't think those people comprehend the magnitude of those losses.

If we had won 2-1 at home and lost the 2nd game 1-0 away, I can live with it.

But having gained a highly favorable advantage in the 1st leg and bottling it in the 2nd leg, that's inexcusable for a club like Barca.

To put it in league terms, it's like having a 9 point lead at the top of the table with some games to go and losing the league title at the end.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

That's actually BS. Most of you said that EV was holding us back and that we would be a top 2-3 team once he left. Then you all got proven wrong so you had to act like the ghost of EV was still hanging around or something.

When you see a Ernesto fanboy you see a Katharina1. 70% of the matches from Valverde were won because of Messi. When he didnt played on GOAT level anymore (since 19/20) we start loosing the easiest matches. That doesnt mean that he was a bad coach but his vision from the style of football isnt barca level.

LeeRomeno

I just came to this thread and I agree with you. Comments like "decided by 1 goal difference" really irks me and I don't think those people comprehend the magnitude of those losses.

If we had won 2-1 at home and lost the 2nd game 1-0 away, I can live with it.

But having gained a highly favorable advantage in the 1st leg and bottling it in the 2nd leg, that's inexcusable for a club like Barca.

To put it in league terms, it's like having a 9 point lead at the top of the table with some games to go and losing the league title at the end.

Why do people take something completely out of context and spin something else around that. I only posted that comment because that dude was talking about some 10-2 loss, which is not comparable to losing with away goal rule or 1 goal. It is a close matchup. Sure its a choke, bottling a lead or whatever, but both Valverde exits cannot be compared to Bayern loss, because Bayern demolished us compeltely in 1 game tie, while vs Roma and Pool, there was only narrow gap if you put 2 games together.
Your logic makes it sound like it would have been better if we lost to Liverpool 0-3 both games. How is that better lol?
Also you make it sound like we are only team that has ever choked in a game lol. "Inexcusable" rofl. Every top squad in history has its share of embarrasing losses, whining over it and exaggerating over it years later is just embarrasing.

Home of Barca Fans