Ernesto Valverde - V1

Stoichkov1

Very rarely so. It's not generally true that we have many moments when pass is available but we lack players to make it. Basically, it's not great service that we're lacking. What we're lacking is teammate access. A player like Arthur or Semedo carrying the ball simply does not have viable passing options because we have some grade A lazy players who just stopped giving any shit when there is an opponent willing to dig very deep and give extra effort. Every time the other team ups the intensity, some of our senior players just go missing in a shameful way. Main culprits are Suarez, Messi, and Busi.

We rarely play ballsy short passes because there is no movement to make those passes consistently manageable. Again, player quality is a non-issue. Best squad in the world probably atm. The big issue is not that we lack ballsy players to make those passes. It's that the attacking players have way too much freedom to do basically whatever they want. Messi and Suarez have too much freedom and Valverde is a total spineless clown for accepting their chaotic movement.

What are ballsy short passes? You mean passes that have maybe a 50-50 success rate? Those are ballsy passes? We are not equipped to deal with fast counters that might come from all of those failed passes. You're basically talking about the EPL style here. EPL teams have almost no risk-management tactics. Everything is ballsy as you say it. The solution is not to play ballsy passes. The solution is to move off the ball and make those passes look not that ballsy anymore.

Agree here. But then this is probably what is wanted. Or else, why would you allow Messi to drop deep and do that? It's obvious that when Messi drops deep he is passed to no matter what.

About your theory that there are passes that are available but somehow we lack courage, here is a full action build-up from the back up until the ball is lost. Now look at this and tell me if we're lacking ballsy passes or we're simply lacking support for the man on the ball.

positional.jpg

Photo 1)

Pique has the ball and plays a simple, usual pass, to Semedo.

Photo2)

Semedo receives and goes forward a bit, trying to figure out what to do. He is not pressed initially.

Photo3)

There is a great pass option available down the line. But Messi and Suarez don't care. They aren't even facing the game. They walk. Messi in particular is walking with his face down as per the image.

It is especially interesting how easy it is to mark Messi. Here he is marked with 2 players, and only 1 player does tight marking. Another player just stands between the ball and Messi, basically hiding Messi from Semedo's vision with his cover shadow.

Players can mark Messi this way and still press the ball carrier. Basically it's a two man job that, if done right, has very very high chances of blocking Messi. Just watch him and stay in front of him. He will not move very fast, so it is not very hard to track his movement and place yourself in front of him. Very rarely will he move left and right to get out of this situation. If he, for some reason, does move, have another player nearby who can intervene.

Semedo sees he has no option and passes the ball to Arthur. Other option would've been to bomb the flank on his own dribbling 2-3 Sevilla players with ease. But this, sadly, isn't FIFA on semipro level.

Photo 4)

Arthur receives and does the same thing as Semedo. Looks up to see who can he play with. Now if someone could explain me, what pass is there in picture no4 and Arthur doesn't use it? Messi and Suarez are still not showing any intent in participating. Messi is even with his back to the ball carrier.

Ball is, logically, played to the open man, Alba.

Photo 5)

Here Alba doesn't see, or he is instructed not to be adventurous, that his marker has gone towards Coutinho too soon, basically allowing Alba to drift inside if possible. But Messi and Suarez are still not moving to help anyone.

Photo 6)

Now ball is very much isolated with Coutinho on the left sideline. At this point, even if they want in on the action Messi and Suarez can't participate. This allows Sevilla to lay off the marking on them and crowd the left side.

Photo 7)

Sevilla closes that zone, ball is played back in midfield, where Messi goes way back to receive the ball and try some fancy lofted ball which against serious teams has never worked in years.

Great post, that's what I've been saying for 2 years.

It's impossible for the midfielders to make forward passes if the players upfront don't move and don't make themselves open to receive them.

xXKonan

The sad part is I'm starting to feel that maybe some of the old guard is holding us back in some ways.

The worst part of is some of the old guard like Busi,Pique and Messi etc who were key to our success in the past decade fit into that category. With Messi he's still the man and we all know his mobility was always one of his issues at times.

But guys like Busi and Pique? Pique doesn't look anywhere near the player he was during the 2014/15-15/16 season. He looks like a man that isn't focused due to off field stuff and he's aging as well. I have a feeling Busi will not age as well as Iniesta and Xavi. Heck Iniesta didn't age all that well either.

This extends to the likes of Suarez and Rakitic as well. Suarez during the 2013-16 was something else, a force of nature but his decline has been awful. Rakitic? has a lot of use, but he's 30 years old as well and he's getting slower slower as time goes on.

I've started to come around to the idea that as long as we gear the system to a couple of the older players in this squad we are going to struggle a bit in Europe even though a couple of them happened to be one of the best players in their position in their generation.

For Busi though if you give him two CM partners who are strong on the ball but also cover the ground as well I think it will come a long way in dealing with some of his problems. Messi if he really does stick to being a False 9, give him two wingers that have the pace and ability to beat their man and provide the width to open up space for him it can work.

I feel we have these players already honestly. Arthur,Coutinho,Dembele,Malcom,Vidal just the name the few.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
Dembele is the key for our success, his integration is very much the critical point for our success. Like everyone else is mentioning movement up front is a huge concern and why our midfield is getting dominated and very less creativity. If Dembele can provide that movement while still being comfortable with the ball then we can do much better. I have high hopes on him.

FCBfan22

Dembele is the key for our success, his integration is very much the critical point for our success. Like everyone else is mentioning movement up front is a huge concern and why our midfield is getting dominated and very less creativity. If Dembele can provide that movement while still being comfortable with the ball then we can do much better. I have high hopes on him.

Yup, but I think that only one player with plenty of movement is not enough...

Icarium

Lifestealer
Yup, but I think that only one player with plenty of movement is not enough...

I am not sure if Malcom is good enough to start for us. Maybe Coutinho Messi Dembele attack can help. At the very least Suarez should not start unless he is willing to work hard and make those runs. Should only start against fodder. Having Munir is better than Suarez, at least our midfield won't be that burdened. Messi will definitely not make those runs, he should be the only player who gets the free role to roam around and do what he wants. Having 2 such players is sucide

Zidane82

If the manager doesn't have the balls to bench the players that deserve to be benched and he can't tell the senior players to run and be more dynamic (especially Suarez) , then whats the point of having him here ?

I have been thinking yesterday , the lineup that Barca had yesterday at the end , the one with the Arturo-Raki-Busi-Cou midfield , I have a feeling we will see that midfield a few more times , especially in the big games

Na .. he hasn't got the guts to play Arthur in la Liga or the CL.

I see Busqs / Rakitic and Vidal being in the midfield .

jairzinho

Think i posted this elsewhere but this is how i think EV will play this season. Defending in a 4-4-2, Attacking with 3-4-3.

1702885_FC_Barcelona.jpg

1702887_FC_Barcelona.jpg

MagIX

If our starter XI will be with Dembele, Coutinho, Messi and Suarez, we can compete for the win of liga and/or cdr, nothing more.

Last edited:

serghei

We should do a social media hiring campaign. Could sound something like:

'Famous football club with recent great signings and talented players, looking for an ambitious manager with modern ideas and with a proactive attitude. Great salary package, 4 bedroom house in Barcelona paid by the firm, company car, full medical care (will be needed) and various performance bonuses included. Motivational skills and ability to work under stress are considered a big plus'.

Last edited:

Gaudi

Great post serghei. Movement is my main concern. Now we have no excuse in players, we have depth and ability...but i see another fail in cl.

henias

'Famous football club with recent great signings and talented players, looking for an ambitious manager with modern ideas and with a proactive attitude. Great salary package, 4 bedroom house in Barcelona paid by the firm, company car, full medical care (will be needed) and various performance bonuses included. Motivational skills and ability to work under stress are considered a big plus'.

Sampaoli: Where can I sign up? :D

Pepe Silvia

:rockon:

Home of Barca Fans