Ernesto Valverde - V1

kollegah

He failed because he did not start Sergi Roberto.
Messi was just crowded the whole time and VIdal was caught out of position about 67 times.

BarçaBarça

No instant impact, even though that would be hard to expect.
Bad start to lose a trophy to Real, lets hope he comes up with a better tactic in the league.

hardyboy

He is a mediocre manager without any personality.. A puppet which the board wanted. Even Lucho was better than him..

Barcilliant

He better get his thinking cap on and formulate some real tactics.

This was too easy for Real. Sit back and just pick us off on the break.

It was amateur hour.

I reckon he'll be gone by Christmas.

Interlop

He failed his first real test but almost all successful Barca managers lost their first Classico so I'm gonna abstain from bashing him.

michelco

I advocated for Valverde, I think he's a good coach. But...

- He has not found a solution for Messi. I wrote that I thought Valverde would go 4-2-3-1 with Messi behind Suarez, perhaps we'll see that with Paulinho signed. Because Messi at RW in 4-3-3 just leaves an gap large enough to land a fcuking jumbo jet. Looking at the heat map Zidane knew this and Real focused all their attacks down that right. Would be ludacris to think other teams haven't taken notice

- Note on Messi: How come no coach can just tell Messi to fcuking track back? Why should Messi be exempt from working FOR the team? Low stamina? He can fcuking train that, ppl can run marathons for hours, then Messi can track back. Probably Valverde does not have the balls (yet) to ask this of Messi

serghei

I agree about Messi's position. It is also a problem for the RB. Alves did go up the pitch, but he wasn't a flat out RW. There's no way the RB will be able to get back in defence in time when the ball is lost if he is effectively playing as a RW in the offensive phase. You need more control in midfield for that to happen. Every time you lose the ball like Suarez lost it last night, it can lead to a deadly counter and a goal against you against the big teams.

Last edited:

Gaudi

Messi doesn't need to kill him self in defense, he can have the free role, but he must at least form a line with the rest. For example if we play 4-2-3-1, Suarez can change playces with Messi in defence living Messi as that "1", but he at least needs to stay close and open possibilities for counter.
What worries me more is that nothing changed. We play individual football based on individual quality and now we are facing teams with more individual quality. I was always pessimistic about Valverde but he neeeds to bi given a chance and a team to compete. But great coaches doesn't need the absolute best team to win. For example Atletico can beat every team, of course I'm not comparing our style with theirs, just saying team play is on coach, individual quality is on our sporting depertment. We all now we lack midfielders and winger, but form Valverde I want to see team play.
They can pay minimum wages to any member here if our idea is: give ball to Messi and prey.

Messi983

I don't really care too much about Supercopa. Yes, it always hurts to lose against Madrid but sometimes you can learn more when you lose. So I hope Valverde and team both got their lessons.

I advocated for Valverde, I think he's a good coach. But...

- He has not found a solution for Messi. I wrote that I thought Valverde would go 4-2-3-1 with Messi behind Suarez, perhaps we'll see that with Paulinho signed. Because Messi at RW in 4-3-3 just leaves an gap large enough to land a fcuking jumbo jet. Looking at the heat map Zidane knew this and Real focused all their attacks down that right. Would be ludacris to think other teams haven't taken notice

- Note on Messi: How come no coach can just tell Messi to fcuking track back? Why should Messi be exempt from working FOR the team? Low stamina? He can fcuking train that, ppl can run marathons for hours, then Messi can track back. Probably Valverde does not have the balls (yet) to ask this of Messi

One official game is not enough to make any assumptions either about Valverde or his plans for Messi. I think we still don't have players to play 4-2-3-1, maybe when/if we get Cou, Dembele and Paulinho he'll try that in bigger games. And I think Messi doesn't have stamina to track back for 90 minutes but he could do that occasionaly to help out the team. And he did that, when he was positioned on the wings during the games, even in friendly against Juve. But when he's playing more centrally which he's doing for 90% of the games nowadays then he's not tracking back much. Yes, he could improve in that aspect but it's far from our biggest worry.

Andrew M

Even after Pep's first couple of games people were unconvinced. Let's give the guy a chance. It's not his fault the team is in bad shape.

Gaudi

Even after Pep's first couple of games people were unconvinced. Let's give the guy a chance. It's not his fault the team is in bad shape.

Of course, but Pep from the begining tried something new, all after him are just trying to copy paste the same but we have different players now.
Remember first season, after we started playnig like Gods people said: good thing we took Rakitic ove Kroos, now is the other way arround. I don't belive Rakitic really lost it or Kroos became better it's just the way we play. Look when is Rakitic at he's worst? When we attack slowly against midfield and defence of a opponent back, then he needs to provide some magic pass and he fails. But even modrić does the same, we he doesn't see an opening he passes sideways. Killer balls are rare, even Messi has like 3 per game. But the way we play we can score only after killer balls. This is why every top 10 midfield line in the world look miles ahead of ours. This is why Neymar exit will hurt us. Yes he was ball hog and sometimes a circus player but he was able to produce magic now and then. You saw what "magic" looks like from Delou.
But I'm getting sick of this we either win or die but we play our system, I really thought LE changed that after that first season but unfortunately he falled back in to the trap. RM does have better midfield, of course, but Kroos, Casemiro, even Kovacic would look lost in ours I believe...only Isco and Modric would be instant impact no matter the game plane.
I trully hope Valverde is that coach that will change that, now we either score some magnificent Barca goal or we suffer entire match.

I believe that all this mess is not a manager's fault anymore and maybe we criticized Lucho too harsh last season. We should accept that we have an ageing team, with players that are not by any means Barca level.
Blaming the manager at this point, just makes Barto's life easier.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He is a mediocre manager without any personality.. A puppet which the board wanted. Even Lucho was better than him..

Bold statement after his first official match as Barca manager. He lost important player and got no important signings.

BBZ8800

I believe that all this mess is not a manager's fault anymore and maybe we criticized Lucho too harsh last season. We should accept that we have an ageing team, with players that are not by any means Barca level.
Blaming the manager at this point, just makes Barto's life easier.

Yes.
I was annoyed with posts the last 2 seasons: our starting 11 is awesome.
It is all Lucho's fault.
We just need a good coach and these guys will fly all over the field.

Half of our starters can't run anymore and 3/4 of players have totally drained motivation after 5-10 years of domination.
So, things won't magically get better without Lucho.

When we'll make a huge rehaul, maybe it will get better.
But only if we'll buy right players.
Not 29 years old guys.

Devils

It's a shame Valverde didn't stop the Paulinho signing. He had the voice to do so but he chose not to. I think this is evidence of weakness in his character. It's a shame a student of Cruyff could allow this to happen.

Before you say he didn't have the authority, Lucho terminated the club's pursuit of David Luiz is 2014. Valverde could have done the same here.

Home of Barca Fans