Ernesto Valverde - V1

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The tactical approach was a bit too reactive for me. The way to stop this Madrid team is not to defend against it. 55-45 possession is not enough. We need more control. There were very few attempts to win the ball back through pressing.

He should understand one thing. Barcelona is not a very versatile team, nor they can be. They can be one thing. A team that dominates through possession and tries to attack all the time. There were almost two teams out there who tried to play the same type of game. Madrid is better in this case.

He can make those adjustments, but he also need better players and the existing players like Suarez to do better with his chances even though his movement is still good.

At the moment, it looks like the best we can achieve is a Tito like season where we bash all the smaller teams in the league and win it.

At worst, we don't and we end up with only a Copa again or nothing. It's very early, but you guys need to realize one thing.

The squad and starting XI isn't good enough. We need two new starting midfielders. Need our new RB to do well whenever he starts now, and we need Suarez to wake the fuck up and sign a new LW.

GetIn

He will be the board's fall guy this season for our upcoming train wreck of season. Poor guy didn't know what he was walking into, he was toast from the minute he walked in.

serghei

He can make those adjustments, but he also need better players and the existing players like Suarez to do better with his chances even though his movement is still good.

At the moment, it looks like the best we can achieve is a Tito like season where we bash all the smaller teams in the league and win it.

At worst, we don't and we end up with only a Copa again or nothing. It's very early, but you guys need to realize one thing.

The squad and starting XI isn't good enough. We need two new starting midfielders. Need our new RB to do well whenever he starts now, and we need Suarez to wake the fuck up and sign a new LW.

Vidal and Deulofeu were a problem. I agree. The midfield played fine, until late in the game where they probably got tired. Wouldn't say Madrid dominated the game or anything. They look better physically, looked to be faster, and dindn't have two dead players like Deulofeu and Vidal, who probably messed up every ball they've put their foot on.

Our lack of physical sharpness affected the game. It's either that, or the tactics were wrong to begin with. That and 2-3 players who had a really poor game.

Umtiti, Alba, Busquets, Messi played well. Pique had to babbysit Vidal and was caught, but he played well also, minus that error at the goal.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Vidal and Deulofeu were a problem. I agree. The midfield played fine, until late in the game where they probably got tired. Wouldn't say Madrid dominated the game or anything. They look better physically, looked to be faster, and dindn't have two dead players like Deulofeu and Vidal, who probably messed up every ball they've put their foot on.

This midfield won't hold up in the CL, serghei.

Even with better tactics. Rakitic and Iniesta cannot start anymore. Physically, technically, creativity-wise, they're done as starters at the highest level. Both can and should be impact subs and rotation options.

Cool

Valvarde, spare us the headache of the 4-4-3 and switch to 4-2-3-1.

Either play Messi as an AMC or RW.

khaled_a_d

This one if on Valverde for me tbh.
The defensive set up was dreadful to say at least, Vidal is always nowhere near the attacker in most of their attacks, defenders always put isolated situations.
We created chances and midfield was involved in the offense, but team is disoriented too, We have a LW that we would routiney pass the ball too since we have no RW but during counter attack we will ignore him (happened twice today IIRC with both Gerard & Denis)
There is still no solution for Messi terrible tactical role, we have no RW, we keep our right flank exposed and it is the weakest position in defense while Rakitic has to be dragged out of position from time to time.
Ok, I get the argument that having only 2 midfield will expose us, but can we play with RW instead of LW? at least Alba is way better than any RB we have and if we get Coutinho it will be more balanced there. But we are fucking our right side completely and every kid can see it as our biggest point of weaknesses

serghei

This one if on Valverde for me tbh.
The defensive set up was dreadful to say at least, Vidal is always nowhere near the attacker in most of their attacks, defenders always put isolated situations.
We created chances and midfield was involved in the offense, but team is disoriented too, We have a LW that we would routiney pass the ball too since we have no RW but during counter attack we will ignore him (happened twice today IIRC with both Gerard & Denis)
There is still no solution for Messi terrible tactical role, we have no RW, we keep our right flank exposed and it is the weakest position in defense while Rakitic has to be dragged out of position from time to time.
Ok, I get the argument that having only 2 midfield will expose us, but can we play with RW instead of LW? at least Alba is way better than any RB we have and if we get Coutinho it will be more balanced there. But we are fucking our right side completely and every kid can see it as our biggest point of weaknesses

I agree with most of this tbh.

JamDav1982

If nothing else surely tonight showed that Denis is light years ahead of Deulofeu if want a LW from those players available and Rakitic/Iniesta are too slow or past best to protect and play with Busi.

Have to try and get Semedo settled as soon as possible and get someone on the RW as it is a joke the way set up like that.

mssarm

This was on Valverde completely. The team was lethargic , in poor physical form. I did not see good tactical decisions, except for subbing Deu for Denis Suarez. I wonder how did he miss Vidal's screw ups, why not play Semedo. The first half was very boring game, I sincerely hope Pique is not going to his pre-Lucho era. The entire team was on low energy and looked like the coach had no idea what to do.

Home of Barca Fans