Erling Haaland

Devils

Eduard Romeu, economic vice president of Barcelona speaks

"At the moment Haaland's figures escape us"

"At Bar?a nothing is impossible, but in any case it is very difficult"

It's confirmed from the club officially.

It's over.

Stunning.

khaled_a_d

A week ago the narrative was he is coming here
Then it was City
Now it is Madrid.
Gotta give it to Raiola, he knows how to play the media

Birdy

A week ago the narrative was he is coming here
Then it was City
Now it is Madrid.
Gotta give it to Raiola, he knows how to play the media

Thankfully no reliable journalist ever reported that he is coming here.
On the contrary, one of the most reliable, David Ornstein, reported that it's between City and RM.

Now that his saga will be gradually over, and the club and team is saved from a high risk potential failure that would condemn the next 5 years,
wonder what's next?

Laporta is really getting into my nerves, with his 'marquee signing' wet fantasy

Vladinho

If this story remains as it is, that we are out of the race and the battle is between City and Real, then my point of view of this whole situation goes like this:

We have fallen into Laporta's trap that we would be able to afford a signing of this magnitude. Laporta used his friendship with Mino not to actually negotiate, but just to allow us to push the story that we are in the race for Erling and that we are back at the table with the major teams. Which is a clever move PR wise, for Laporta and the club. When was the last time you have seen Mino being so quiet in a transfer involving one of his top clients? True, he had some health issues, but he allowed Laporta to push the story to all the catalan media that we are in the race. When it came to put the money where our mouth was, we are suddenly out of the race. It's just my point of view which I wanted to share.
If this battle for Erling would have been in the summer of 2023, I think we could have brought him. No doubt, he likes Spain, Barcelona as a club and the city.
No worries, we move forward regardless.

mc_lovin

Laporta is really getting into my nerves, with his 'marquee signing' wet fantasy

Like it or not it makes sense. Our depth looks very good (especially with the rumored signings)... the priority is to improve our first 11. Really not many choices there apart from a handful of world class CBs and Haaland. And CBs don't seem to be a priority unless Pique retires.

Birdy

If this story remains as it is, that we are out of the race and the battle is between City and Real, then my point of view of this whole situation goes like this:

We have fallen into Laporta's trap that we would be able to afford a signing of this magnitude. Laporta used his friendship with Mino not to actually negotiate, but just to allow us to push the story that we are in the race for Erling and that we are back at the table with the major teams. Which, is a clever move PR wise, for Laporta and the club. When was the last time you have seen Mino being so quiet in a transfer involving one of his top clients? True, he had some health issues, but he allowed Laporta to push the story to all the catalan media that we are in the race. When it came to put the money where our mouth was, we are suddenly out of the race. It's just my point of view which I wanted to share.
If this battle for Erling would have been in the summer of 2023, I think we could have brought him. No doubt, he likes Spain, Barcelona as a club and the city.

I wish it was only PR and nothing else.
From what we hear these days there is an alternate list of 'marquee signings' that Laporta wants to push for including Salah, Lukaku, Lewa
which makes you wonder:
If it was only PR it would have stayed on Haaland's name and not propagate across most popular attackers names in Europe, w/o any sporting consideration

Like it or not it makes sense. Our depth looks very good (especially with the rumored signings)... the priority is to improve our first 11. Really not many choices there apart from a handful of world class CBs and Haaland. And CBs don't seem to be a priority unless Pique retires.

No, it doesNT
It makes only sense for those minds that still live in 2003. We don't need 'marquee signing', nor inflated wages.
Healthy Fati and Ferran improving his finishing are better than all the names in that list, apart from Salah who I don't want for the wages he is gonna cost
Let's first renew our best CB with a decent wage, and we can talk about the need of another CB

Last edited:

Vladinho

I wish it was only PR and nothing else.
From what we hear these days there is an alternate list of 'marquee signings' that Laporta wants to push for including Salah, Lukaku, Lewa
which makes you wonder:
If it was only PR it would have stayed on Haaland's name and not propagate across most popular attackers names in Europe, w/o any sporting consideration

Also true, that they insist with a top striker transfer, which I think is needed. But this summer, there are only 2 names that generate so much public attention: Mbappe and Haaland. If you want the world of footbal to see you in the top 3 or 4 teams, you need to be in this race for one of their signature. Hope RM doesn't get both of them.

JamDav1982

Big named players as good as Haaland make sense to chase after.

This idea that any expensive player is a 'galactico' is ignorance of what the galatico period was and must be rubbing their hands at Real getting Mbappe and Haaland as they will be worse with those star names....

Birdy

Big named players as good as Haaland make sense to chase after.

This idea that any expensive player is a 'galactico' is ignorance of what the galatico period was and must be rubbing their hands at Real getting Mbappe and Haaland as they will be worse with those star names....

RM is bred into Galactico ideology and it 'fits' them.
When they win it works for them, when they don't it doesn't.

Barca has nothing to do with this model, and ideology.
Laporta has antiquated ideas inside his head, and not a proper structure imposed (like clean delegation of duties and responsibilites) that could ward off him from materializing them

JamDav1982

There is no reason why star names would work at Real and not Barca and the galactico era of Real is not seem as some huge success either.

Mbappe and Haaland would bring just as much to Barca together as they would Real.

Barcelona have almost always been one of biggest spenders in world football when had chance to do it and likes of Cruyff pushed for Ibra etc.

To make out Barca cant win with star players and it is not part of clubs history is completely false and based on this idea as if the one of La Masia generation was the norm.

Barca won last treble with best player in world..Messi. best and most expensive striker in world.. Suarez and best wide player.. Neymar.

It broke up but it worked.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

We have fallen into Laporta's trap that we would be able to afford a signing of this magnitude. Laporta used his friendship with Mino not to actually negotiate, but just to allow us to push the story that we are in the race for Erling and that we are back at the table with the major teams. Which is a clever move PR wise, for Laporta and the club. When was the last time you have seen Mino being so quiet in a transfer involving one of his top clients? True, he had some health issues, but he allowed Laporta to push the story to all the catalan media that we are in the race. When it came to put the money where our mouth was, we are suddenly out of the race. It's just my point of view which I wanted to share.

I don't think it was just a PR sunt, since it doesn't do Laporta or the club any good if he knew already that Haaland was not going to come and still tried to appear to have pursued him. Basically making the fans hopeful, only to be told "no" later. It makes no sense to do that. He already learned his lesson from the episode with Messi.

I think, he actually tried his best to entice Haaland to come as this would be a huge accomplishment for Laporta personally, even sending Xavi to meet with Haaland in Munich, but in the end either we can't match the offers from Madrid and City (either because we don't have the money or we are told by the league the formula can't work out), or Haaland rejected us for whatever reason. And then Laporta did an about-face just to save some face.

Givenchy

If Madrid get both, we'll be fucked for a few years, El clasico could be brutal if our defence doesn't improve drastically. Eventually though Haaland and Raiola will kick up a fuss to leave for the PL. Mbappe and Haaland are both young, both want to be the face of the team and both want Ballon d'or'S. People will cite MSN as proof of 3 superstars working together but in reality, Messi was always happy to share the stage with teammates and Neymar/Suarez knew 100% Messi was always top dog at Barca, no question.

Mbappe is the superior player, maybe a level above. such a fucking shame he has a hard on for Madrid. Haaland-Barca vs Mbappe-Madrid, would of really sparked life back into la liga

JamDav1982

As said from start... it would be made out Barca are close and club in end couldnt afford it.

Was hinted at in election that links with Raiola could make the difference with Haaland etc and it was carried on and easiest way is to make out got close but in end didnt happen for situation outwith their control.

Makes clubs seem like still has seat at big table and have to make out perusing these type of transfers.

Was never happening and Raiola/Laporta knew it but both like the links.

Home of Barca Fans