Eric Garcia (loaned to Girona)

JamDav1982

If Barca go with same formation next season it could be that he suits the middle CB that covers and steps out with ball into DM and allows FDJ to go back into midfield and replace Busquets or even further forward with Griezmann.

Badly need FDJ in middle of park even if has been class in his deeper role.

Joan

Lacks pace and weak in duels. Doesn't seem he'd do well as a modern libero, despite being good on the ball.

Messi983

If we'll continue with 3 atb I'd prefer to play Araujo as a "sweeper" with two good ball-playing CBs alongside him.

Something like this:

------------------MATS------------
--Eric/Oscar--Araujo/Pique--Lenglet*--
Dest----------------------------------Alba

* Until we find someone better he's our best option there. And he's actually done quite well since we've changed formation. Maybe really try to turn Firpo into a LCB (if we won't get a good enough offer to sell him) or bring Martinez from Ajax to fit into that role.

But I think Koeman will continue to drop Frenkie between both CBs.

Potentially we could also use Eric in place of Lenglet. He has played for Spain (and IIRC also some games for City) as a LCB though his responsibilites playing there in a 4-man defense are different than they would be in a 3 atb formation.

Still think our best option would be to go back to 4-3-3 and see if/how Araujo (hopefully he'll stay healthy as I think future success of our defense depends a lot on him as we don't have any other CB who can bring what he can) and Garcia would do together. I think profile wise they could complement each other well but would clearly take time for them to build a chemistry.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
I agree with Jammy.

Our current back 3 isn't the traditional one where you have your heaviest in the middle and two faster ones as LCB and RCB.

I think it's bad to sacrifice a midfielder to play Garcia, Araujo and Lenglet, because this means the midfield has just two players which'll make it hard to dominate games.
Frenkie's role has been essential, almost as a false CB helping out the midfield. Araujo won't be able to do that.

Garcia is the closest CB we'll have to Frenkie. I've written about maybe trying Eric as a DM if he doesn't cut it as a CB. In the end I think we'll go back to 4-3-3 with Araujo together with whomever of Garcia, Pique and Lenglet fits best.

Porque

I'd go with

Araujo-de Jong-Eric/Lenglet.

The back 3 will compensate for Araujo on the ball. He will be decent with more protection and can advance sporadically to the box for crosses.

Besides he won't be THAT bad in such a setup. He's not Cristanval.

When de Jong moves up the pitch and we re-shape to a back two then Araujo pace and one-on-one defence is key for counters.

Mingueza has been very very good but Araujo simply has a much higher ceiling.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

If we'll continue with 3 atb I'd prefer to play Araujo as a "sweeper" with two good ball-playing CBs alongside him.

Something like this:

* Until we find someone better he's our best option there. And he's actually done quite well since we've changed formation. Maybe really try to turn Firpo into a LCB (if we won't get a good enough offer to sell him) or bring Martinez from Ajax to fit into that role.

Potentially we could also use Eric in place of Lenglet. He has played for Spain (and IIRC also some games for City) as a LCB though his responsibilites playing there in a 4-man defense are different than they would be in a 3 atb formation.

Still think our best option would be to go back to 4-3-3 and see if/how Araujo (hopefully he'll stay healthy as I think future success of our defense depends a lot on him as we don't have any other CB who can bring what he can) and Garcia would do together. I think profile wise they could complement each other well but would clearly take time for them to build a chemistry.

Araujo in middle of back three is playing with three CBs and not spare one in middle that will step into midfield on ball when needed.

Completely different to way team currently play where can fairly easily switch to a 433. In that scenario Garcia more suited than Araujo for me.

jamrock

Something like this:

Can't have our worst ball playing CB in the middle of a back 3, that's just a non starter

jamrock

I still prefer that over Busi staying a starter but that's just me.

That I agree with, I think Araujo--Eric--Lenglet 🤢( this man makes me sick)

Is unfortunately our best bet going into next season, push de jong back in midfield to replace busquets.

If umtiti knees didn't go, Araujo--umtimi it he continues to develop the way we all hope, would be a monster of a defensive partnership. One can only dream now.

JamDav1982

I still prefer that over Busi staying a starter but that's just me.

It is not the same formation though and would be three CBs without the one in middle having same ability to step out.

Araujo in that formation can only really play right of a three and even then less quality on ball when does step up a bit but not to same extent as middle CB does.

Joan

Don't think 3 at the back is here to stay unless we sign an improvement over Dembele. Think Mbappe would be perfect for the role. Or Fati comes back healthy and does well there, even though he might lack pace.

And if it does stay, we'd probably suffer a lot with both Araujo/Garcia taking Frenkie's place. Don't think we'd see much of a change.

JamDav1982

Don't think 3 at the back is here to stay unless we sign an improvement over Dembele. Think Mbappe would be perfect for the role. Or Fati comes back healthy and does well there, even though he might lack pace.

And if it does stay, we'd probably suffer a lot with both Araujo/Garcia taking Frenkie's place. Don't think we'd see much of a change.

Would guess it will be a big part of approach next season with players that can switch between that and a 433 in same line up.

No matter the formation need a new CF.

Andresito

Staff member
Araujo, Frenkie and Pedri are 100 % starters, which leaves 2 spots free in the CB/CM section.
I assume Frenkie is going to play in midfield.

Choose at least 1, max 2:
Pique
Lenglet
Garcia
Mingueza

Choose 1 or 0:
Busi
Ilaix
Riqui

I'd go for one each from that list. Can't see anyone being better than the other at the moment.
But Garcia and Pique should be in contention for a starting spot at CB. Busi and maybe Ilaix in midfield.

I'm guessing we'll start with:
Dest, Pique, Araujo, Alba
Frenkie, Busi, Pedri

next season. With plenty of changes to be made as the season goes on.

Home of Barca Fans