Eric Abidal

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
The club insures players against injuries, so the insurance company would normally be covering the wages. However, in this instance the insurance company probably paid out for some time and then stopped as is normal. After that he probably wouldn't be able to get insurance until his overcame his illness.

spark

The club's response.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/article/fc-barcelona-communique-on-eric-abidal

"After Éric Abidal’s statements were reported by L’Equipe, FC Barcelona contacted the player and his representative in order to clarify the confusion created by the phrase “the Club didn’t pay me in the months I was sick.” FC Barcelona want to clarify the following:

- Both parties confirm that the Club duly complied with the contractual commitments stipulated in the player’s contract.

- That in January of 2012, even though the player relapsed and underwent liver transplant surgery two months later, FC Barcelona offered Abidal a contract extension which included a substantial renewal bonus. The extension was signed.

- That in March of 2012, when Abidal’s disease reappeared, the Club did not execute its option to unilaterally rescind the player’s contract per the stipulation in the contract that Abidal signed. By mutual agreement, FC Barcelona and the player suspended the contract until Abidal was medically cleared to play. During this period Abidal continued collecting his agreed upon monthly payments and, upon his return to the first team, he received the proportional sum of his contract.

- In June of 2013, when his contract was due to expire, the Club and Abidal liquidated the contract."

XaviMessiGirl

I hope Abidal comes out with a second statement to clear everything up. It's upsetting the way he was treated but it seems pretty unbelievable that we wouldn't pay him if we were supposed to.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I hope Abidal comes out with a second statement to clear everything up. It's upsetting the way he was treated but it seems pretty unbelievable that we wouldn't pay him if we were supposed to.
If the club didn't pay him even if they were supposed to... Abi's agent wouldn't have remained silent, PERIOD

flamenco

This looks like a full statement from Eric
Eric Abidal believes he would still be playing for Barcelona had Pep Guardiola not left the club in the summer of 2012.

The France international was released on a free transfer at the end of the 2012-13 campaign and consequently opted to join Monaco, but he feels the change of coach last summer cost him the chance of signing fresh terms to stay at Camp Nou.

"Things could have been different had Guardiola still been at Barcelona. He's a person who really appreciates me and we still have contact regularly," Abidal told L'Equipe.

"He is a great coach and gave me the chance at Barcelona. If he had still been at Barca, I might have continued there.

"The problem is that my contract was running out. It was difficult to accept, but I had no choice but to move on. It was hard to understand Barcelona's stance at my final press conference. It was not about money. The club didn't even pay me during my illness.

"My time at Barcelona has come to an end, but I'm happy with my new start at Monaco."

Truthist

So he was virtually on a pay as you play deal yet it seems the management couldn't wait to even take him off that. The way he's been treated is pretty disgraceful in all honesty and no matter what excuses they make the reputation of the club has been blighted somewhat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

flamenco

So he was virtually on a pay as you play deal yet it seems the management couldn't wait to even take him off that. The way he's been treated is pretty disgraceful in all honesty and no matter what excuses they make the reputation of the club has been blighted somewhat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

what a shame. One more reason why the current club management should be changed :pep:

Maria

"Monaco boss Claudio Ranieri revealed he has already made good on Pep Guardiola's Thank-Me-Later bet over the "monster" defender that is Eric Abidal.

It was under Guardiola that Abidal had, arguably, his best spell at Barcelona, around two surgeries for a liver tumour, while he played just five times under Tito Vilanova before being released.
Refusing Barcelona's offer of an "ambassadorial role", Abidal's search for game time led him to Monaco, with Ranieri more than happy to sign the Frenchman.

However, Ranieri has now admitted Guardiola had a huge role in Abidal choosing the principality, at a time when several French clubs were battling for his services.

"I spoke with Guardiola before [Abidal's] arrival", Ranieri told L'Equipe. "Pep told me: 'Claudio, take him and, in December, you'll say thank you'.

"Two weeks after that I called Pep and told him: 'Listen, I cannot wait for December. I am telling you thank you now.'.

"Eric is a monster – in character, physically, and at all levels. You think about [the problems] he had, and then you see him. He is the first to arrive for training and he continues even after it's finished."

Ranieri further rewarded Abidal's efforts by giving him the captain's armband, with France adding to the joy by calling him up for their recent World Cup qualifiers.

Abidal played the full 90 minutes in both games, with France drawing 0-0 against Georgia and winning 4-2 against Belarus."

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/09...ls-barcelona-links/99899/#ILd8SILtkEdBg0v1.99

And aparently Monaco's sporting director announced today that they will renew Abi's contract for one more year. :wub:

Home of Barca Fans