Emerson

Bobo32

Not really, I respect your opinions, but overreactions like this one do look like baits.

Anyways, it's a poor performance. From the start, he's misplaced some passes which resulted in ball losses. Also at times seemed as he went for the first, not the best option to pass. I liked the way he moved forward, didn't always pass it backwards and even combined well at times, like when he found Griezmann in the middle of the bunch. Also shows great pace and mobility, can count on him to return back in time. That'll improve with adapting to the team's dynamics, but he's not bad at it as of now either. And he's got good defensive instincts, knows how to close his man, follow him around, challenge etc. Negatives which can and usually end up being ironed and positives one cannot learn. Not too unhappy about him.

This is the main critique I have, glad you see it too. If he plays like that with the ball, I cannot help but criticize him.
Do you have a timestamp for that Griezmann pass? I watched again and didn't spot it. I think his pass to Collado was good, and he had one little flick that looked like Barcelona class too, but other than that I don't know...
His pace and mobility is of no use if he is at the wrong place, and his defensive instincts didn't impress me either in this game. He is levels below Dest if he plays like this, and I don't keep lists over worst debuts but I think this one would be up there for me. Most of the time when a player plays badly, there are more hints of quality and understanding. This just looks like a fast second division player out of his element...

If he keeps on playing like this, he'll overtake Zambrottas place in this team of mine:
Screenshot_2.jpg

BusiTheKing

Looked a bit sloppy but nothing incriminating so far. I am however having a hard time imaginining how he could be good. With Dest, although he doesn't exactly live up to it, you can sort of envision how his type would fit in and do good things. With Emerson, there are no images popping up on the retina. But let's see.

Andresito

Staff member
This is the main critique I have, glad you see it too. If he plays like that with the ball, I cannot help but criticize him.
Do you have a timestamp for that Griezmann pass? I watched again and didn't spot it. I think his pass to Collado was good, and he had one little flick that looked like Barcelona class too, but other than that I don't know...
His pace and mobility is of no use if he is at the wrong place, and his defensive instincts didn't impress me either in this game. He is levels below Dest if he plays like this, and I don't keep lists over worst debuts but I think this one would be up there for me. Most of the time when a player plays badly, there are more hints of quality and understanding. This just looks like a fast second division player out of his element...

If he keeps on playing like this, he'll overtake Zambrottas place in this team of mine:
View attachment 9048

11142617.jpg

Porque

Bad start to the game. Overall a lacklustre debut, with hints of the benefits he can bring when settled.

Wouldn't look too deeply into it. It would be like forming judgement on Messi from his Argentina debut.

But the kind of hesitation on the pace when he receives the ball tight is kind of what he has shown at Betis. He is a typical vertical fallback who sprints forward in space to support and can whip in a good cross or cut inside and get a shot at goal. One of those who has the huevos in defence to pressure well but not exactly a great defender (like alot of fullbacks).

He needs time and he may be something like Maicon if he gets his complete game together. But I have doubts.

Atleast without Messi on that side slowing the game down (with respect to his greatness, and not as a dig) our game will somewhat take more advantage of players like Emerson, Dembele and Griezmann.

Bobo32

Yeah that picture became pretty small when uploaded, it's decently sized on my computer... Pinto-Zambrotta-Milito-Mathieu-Firpo-Song-Gomes-Pjanic-Griezmann-Maxi-Deulofeu

Fair analysis by Porque - but I don't really think this is the way Barcelona should play. It actually hurts a bit to read "take more advantage of players like Emerson, Dembele and Griezmann". I think they should try something completely different to that. But I can see Emerson being of some use if he gets a free lane on his flank and can just sprint up and down, not take many decisions, but just whip in crosses. Maybe Barcelona can try to get a good header of the ball as an attacker as well... Defensively he seems to rely on his physique very much yes, and I think we will see him being overplayed a lot.

Porque

Yeah that picture became pretty small when uploaded, it's decently sized on my computer... Pinto-Zambrotta-Milito-Mathieu-Firpo-Song-Gomes-Pjanic-Griezmann-Maxi-Deulofeu

Fair analysis by Porque - but I don't really think this is the way Barcelona should play. It actually hurts a bit to read "take more advantage of players like Emerson, Dembele and Griezmann". I think they should try something completely different to that. But I can see Emerson being of some use if he gets a free lane on his flank and can just sprint up and down, not take many decisions, but just whip in crosses. Maybe Barcelona can try to get a good header of the ball as an attacker as well... Defensively he seems to rely on his physique very much yes, and I think we will see him being overplayed a lot.

I wonder if Koeman will now revert to his original plans of the 4231 now Messi is out.

What do you think?

Bobo32

I wonder if Koeman will now revert to his original plans of the 4231 now Messi is out.

What do you think?

I first thought he already did yesterday.
And it looked to be a pretty clear block of 2 with Roberto and Busquets a lot of the time, but after all I guess you have to say that Demir played a midfielder. Busquets also fell back between the CBs in buildup again (something I had not missed...)

I think he very much prefers that system. Last seasons he at last switched from it when the results became too bad and I think he blamed it on the players not being suited.
Already with Depay there, I was sure he would try to revert and try it again, with Messi gone I am even more sure.

Porque

I first thought he already did yesterday.
And it looked to be a pretty clear block of 2 with Roberto and Busquets a lot of the time, but after all I guess you have to say that Demir played a midfielder. Busquets also fell back between the CBs in buildup again (something I had not missed...)

I think he very much prefers that system. Last seasons he at last switched from it when the results became too bad and I think he blamed it on the players not being suited.
Already with Depay there, I was sure he would try to revert and try it again, with Messi gone I am even more sure.

Demir seemed to have that floating AMC role that Coutinho initially done well at in his first 2 games last season. Not too sure how Pedri would be there however.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He is not good with the ball and his passing isn't that great, was like that at Real Betis. Can that improve over time? I don't know. However if defensively alone he can improve our defense, I will take it.

But it was his first game after what, barely a week here? Give him a lot more time.

mc_lovin

He was a mixed bag. Some weak passes, some sharp passes, one bad ball control. Overall I have a positive impression.

Bobo32

Demir seemed to have that floating AMC role that Coutinho initially done well at in his first 2 games last season. Not too sure how Pedri would be there however.

Yeah if it was like that, then it was already a revertion yesterday then.
I thought the players were pretty fluid, and that there were no clear paths through midfield, but rather a lot of U-shape passing, and reliance on playing to dropping, marked attackers with no clear paths of progression.

I was mildly positive for 2 or 3 games last season - it was a different kind of play but it seemed to give some freedom, energy and unpredictability to the attackers and it seemed to work. But I realized before the results became very bad that it wasn't a very good way of playing but instead was a bit of a temporary effect with the new coach etc. and that it probably wouldn't hold for too long. I think it will be the same this season - and I think Emerson will be pretty hyped for a while until he is not, just like Dest last year (Dest seems a better player) or Semedo a few years back.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Klysmakabouter;[URL="tel:2365739" said:
2365739[/URL]]Puig, yes. Pedri, no. Koeman was the first to give Pedri minutes, actually.

Both, eventually he gave Pedri minutes but both were selected for loans

JamDav1982

Koeman when he met Pedri advised may need to go on loan to get minutes but within first training session decided to keep him.

Puig he always wanted to go out on loan.

Home of Barca Fans