Eduardo Camavinga

BBZ8800

A tricky question:
Would you guys sign 3 young players like Camavinga or have a 34 years old Messi for one more year in which we won't win anything either way?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
A tricky question:
Would you guys sign 3 young players like Camavinga or have a 34 years old Messi for one more year in which we won't win anything either way?

Humour me.

Explain me how a cash-strapped Barca can afford to spend 30m each on three players like Camavinga if they don't renew Messi.

This should be fun and exciting!

FinBarcelonafan

A tricky question:

Would you have three Trincaos or Messi. Messi thanks for one season.

Depends on the player

BBZ8800

Humour me.

Explain me how a cash-strapped Barca can afford to spend 30m each on three players like Camavinga if they don't renew Messi.

This should be fun and exciting!

We are trying to offload a lot of players so that we could give 100m to Messi on wages for one year, right?

In that sense, I would rather buy 3 players for 30m like Camavinga with 3m wages instead od having Fc AllballsgotoMessi for 1 year.

If we have the money for Messi, we have the money for 3 Camavingas.

mc_lovin

We are trying to offload a lot of players so that we could give 100m to Messi on wages for one year, right?

That's not the entire picture. We are trying to offload a shit ton of wages, because we have to with or without Messi. The mentioned sum is 150ME vs 200ME per year if Messi stays. It gets really infuriating that people on this forum don't get that. I can understand United fans (redcafe) being ignorant/uninformed, but here (aka people who closely follow Barca) it should be known.

DonAK

In that sense, I would rather buy 3 players for 30m like Camavinga with 3m wages instead od having Fc AllballsgotoMessi for 1 year.

If we have the money for Messi, we have the money for 3 Camavingas.

Then why can't we currently register Memphis Depay, Eric Garcia, Sergio Aguero and Emerson Royal to La Liga to fit in within the La Liga Salary Cap?

Messi is currently off the books and we're still unable to register those players.

How do we afford three players for 30m each then? Camavinga won't come for 3m wages.

Also....wouldn't you rather have a 160m Coutinho? ;)

BBZ8800

That's not the entire picture. We are trying to offload a shit ton of wages, because we have to with or without Messi. The mentioned sum is 150ME vs 200ME per year if Messi stays. It gets really infuriating that people on this forum don't get that. I can understand United fans (redcafe) being ignorant/uninformed, but here (aka people who closely follow Barca) it should be known.

Ok, isn't t something like: we want to pay Messi over 5 years?
So, that still means that we will give him 200m for the next 2 years of football, right?

Now, do you think that we will get any on-field results/return of investment from a 34 and 35 years old Messi?

So, my point is:
This or that way, we will splash 200m on old-Messi's wages and we won't win anything.
And then in 2 years we will start a rebuild another 2 years too late, without another 200m lost and 2 years wasted.

200m is even better than 100m.
Would you keep Messi for 2 years or buy 6 Camavingas in that time?

And don't tell me: we won't give that money to him now.
We will surely give him 200m for 2 years, either now, either in one year, either over 5 years.

Then why can't we currently register Memphis Depay, Eric Garcia, Sergio Aguero and Emerson Royal to La Liga to fit in within the La Liga Salary Cap?

Messi is currently off the books and we're still unable to register those players.

How do we afford three players for 30m each then? Camavinga won't come for 3m wages.

Also....wouldn't you rather have a 160m Coutinho? ;)

The same as above, if we are planning to keep Messi, he won't play for peanuts.
How much will we pay to him for 1 or 2 sasons?
Irrelevant whether it is today or over a few years.

Demebele and Cou's transfers were disasters.
But re-signing old Messi for 100 or 200m comes very close to those epic deals.

Till now, we joked: remember when we paid 145m for Dembele, 165 for Cou and 120 for Griezmann?
In 10 years, we will joke: remember when we paid 145m for Dembele, 165 for Cou, 120 for Griezmann and 200m for 34-36 years old Messi instead of investing in the rebuild.

Barca won't get anything from Messi in the next 2 years except improving his individual records against midtable La Liga teams.

mc_lovin

Ok, isn't t something like: we want to pay Messi over 5 years?
So, that still means that we will give him 200m for the next 2 years of football, right?

Now, do you think that we will get any on-field results/return of investment from a 34 and 35 years old Messi?

So, my point is:
This or that way, we will splash 200m on old-Messi's wages and we won't win anything.
And then in 2 years we will start a rebuild another 2 years too late, without another 200m lost and 2 years wasted.

200m is even better than 100m.
Would you keep Messi for 2 years or buy 6 Camavingas in that time?

And don't tell me: we won't give that money to him now.
We will surely give him 200m for 2 years, either now, either in one year, either over 5 years.

The same as above, if we are planning to keep Messi, he won't play for peanuts.
How much will we pay to him for 1 or 2 sasons?
Irrelevant whether it is today or over a few years.

Demebele and Cou's transfers were disasters.
But re-signing old Messi for 100 or 200m comes very close to those epic deals.

Till now, we joked: remember when we paid 145m for Dembele, 165 for Cou and 120 for Griezmann?
In 10 years, we will joke: remember when we paid 145m for Dembele, 165 for Cou, 120 for Griezmann and 200m for 34-36 years old Messi instead of investing in the rebuild.

Barca won't get anything from Messi in the next 2 years except improving his individual records against midtable La Liga teams.

That's a gross oversimplification. If the reported 200ME in five years* are true then Messi in the next 2 years is a gift from god financially. No doubt he would rake in more money than 40ME/year for us. And after that it's anyone's guess what will happen. Maybe our revenue hits 1BE again with Messi smoothing things over. Money now is more important than in a few years when our revenue hopefully is back to "normal" again.

And on a sporting level Messi gives us a good shot at the League title unless either Madrid does fantastic business.

*I don't think it will happen for FFP reasons though. So Messi will compromise or leave.

Joan

A tricky question:

Forum's love for Messi contrasted with forum's love for unproven young talents. This place could implode.

BBZ8800

That's a gross oversimplification. If the reported 200ME in five years* are true then Messi in the next 2 years is a gift from god financially. No doubt he would rake in more money than 40ME/year for us. And after that it's anyone's guess what will happen. Maybe our revenue hits 1BE again with Messi smoothing things over. Money now is more important than in a few years when our revenue hopefully is back to "normal" again.

And on a sporting level Messi gives us a good shot at the League title unless either Madrid does fantastic business.

*I don't think it will happen for FFP reasons though. So Messi will compromise or leave.

It is 200m on 5 years, but 2 years of playing and 3 years of retirement.
So, at the end of the day, we are still paying 100m wages for a 34/35 and 35/36 years old Messi.
Imagine a season 2022/23 when Messi will be nearly 36 in the spring and we will be paying 100m for his services.

Your maths about 5 years is wrong.
Unless if you think that in 5 seasons from now in 2025/26 season, when Messi will be 38 at the beginning of a season and 39 at the end of a season, he will still play football and that we will be paying 40m per year for a 39 years old player.

About us having a shot at La Liga, in some other thread I posted trends where we are winning less and less points in each new season (dropping from 90+ to 80-ish lately) and scoring from 110-ish to 85 lately.
Again, unless if you think that our team will suddenly improve (why would it?), we aren't winning anything unless if both AM and RM will win 80-ish points.

Should I even dare to mention that Messi will spend the whole summer at Copa and if they'll lose (as always), in what kind of a physical and mental state he'll be?
And even worse, the next season is his final World cup, which means that a pressure will be huge, his head will be far away and the season will be shorter and more crowded with matches due to a WC, which doesn't help to ageing teams who's main player is 35 years old Messi (in a summer of 2022), who has just played:
the full season of 2020/21
Copa America 2021
the full crowded season of 2021/22
World cup 2022 infront of him

When you sum the state of our team, our financial state, what Messi will go through (Copa-season-World cup), then "our shot at La Liga" for 100m in wages per year doesn't sound that promising anymore.

A final thought: just imagine if we fail to win La liga next season and if in the summer 2022, we'll have: the same financial state, even older team, trophyless season.
In that moment, if you could turn back time, would you rather pick:
1. trophyless season with Messi for 100m wages
2. trophyless season with 100m invested in 3 youngsters for the future

I am shocked, you can't tell me that a love for Messi (one season) is stronger than the eternal obssession for young talents? :lol:

Forum's love for Messi contrasted with forum's love for unproven young talents. This place could implode.

It's crazy.
Messi is winning over young talents.

Insane :lol:

DonAK

I mean you don't even like young talents yourself BBZ.

You always prefer older players.

khaled_a_d

A tricky question:

Messi.
We have enough young players, and it is usually either those who cost 100M+ (Mpabbe/Halaand) or those you produce or scout well (Fato/Pedri/Araujo) who succeeds.
We have 2 young RB, 3 young CB (2 of which are playing with good international teams), 2 young midfielders who are starters for Spain and Netherlands with 3 young and upcoming midfielders (Gavi, Nico, Moriba), we have the striker who finished 2nd in 2020 golden boy award for attack.
Nah, in current situation choosing Messi is easy. We need someone like him to ease the transition and development of the young players. Prefer that rather turning the club into new Arsenal.

Home of Barca Fans