Demba Ba

zanela

He's more than a Poacher. Unlike Torres, Ba has a well-rounded game to him. His target play is probably the best in the PL atm, greater strength on the ball, holds off defenders and bring others in to play, and converts the half-chances better than Torres. Not so bad at set-pieces as well.

Sewelly

He's more than a Poacher. Unlike Torres, Ba has a well-rounded game to him. His target play is probably the best in the PL atm, greater strength on the ball, holds off defenders and bring others in to play, and converts the half-chances better than Torres. Not so bad at set-pieces as well.

This.

When we signed him I was over the moon because I thought we were getting a goal-scorer who knows where to be. He's been much more than that for us. He even drops deep and links up play, was playing CM when we had a man sent off against Norwich and did that brilliantly too.

Completely shocked me in all honesty. I have no idea whether he'll keep it up, but his first 6 months have been the best forward we've had since Shearer. Better than the Shearer towards the end of his career too.

jackfrost

When I told Liverpool fans that their club should have gone after Ba, they said that He wasn't good enough for Liverpool. They said that Carroll was the best young striker in Europe....

Hatem Ben Arfa

Seriously

Demba Ba is a 1 goal in 2 games striker

Papiss Demba Cissie is also a 1 goal in 2 games striker(slightly better eve)

with Newcastle having those two in the team, we are really going to make an assault on that Top 5. Maybe even Top 4 with those two in the team after the ACON.

Exciting times ahead for Newcastle.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Demba Ba says he is not looking to leave Newcastle United
• Striker delighted with impact of Papiss Demba Cissé

Louise Taylor
guardian.co.uk, Monday 6 February 2012 22.01 GMT

Demba Ba says he is happy at Newcastle United and had no desire to depart during the January transfer window. The Senegal striker's contract contains a release clause enabling him to leave Tyneside for £7m but Ba has not angled for its activation.

"I never talked to anyone to say I wanted to leave," said Alan Pardew's No19 who returned from the Africa Cup of Nations to score his 16th goal in as many Premier League games during the 2-1 home win against Aston Villa on Sunday. "I was just listening to people saying 'He's going there, he's going there, he's going there' and I had a big smile on my face. It was funny to me. The most important thing is being happy with your football and I am happy here."

Ba's bright smile seems a little more radiant now that he has been joined by his compatriot, Papiss Demba Cissé, the new owner of Newcastle's No9 shirt, worn by Alan Shearer, Malcolm Macdonald and Jackie Milburn.

Cissé, a £9m purchase from Freiburg, scored the winner against Villa and Ba could not have been more delighted. "I am really, really happy for Papiss," he said. "It's really important to score for a new club early on; when you come in and score right away you feel much better. It helps a lot and his was a goal of real class on the perfect return to Newcastle for me. It was such a good day; there wasn't even too much snow."

It is safe to assume the north-east weather did not loom overly large during Ba's attempts to sell the idea of joining Alan Pardew's side, now placed fifth, to his friend. "Papiss was a great signing for us," he said. "I was really happy when he signed because I talked to him a little bit beforehand. I just said, 'Go on. Sign.' He asked everything about Newcastle, about the supporters and the club but I've not told him everything because I wanted him to see for himself what it's like here. I think he loved the reception he got but he hasn't seen anything yet."

Ba, despite his prolific form in front of goal, never craved the No9 shirt. "I always said that I wanted to keep my number [19]," he said. "I always said that, if someone comes in and you want to give him No9, don't even ask me – just give it to him if he wants it. The manager asked me if I didn't mind it going to Papiss. I said just give it to him if it helps to sign him."

Ba's presence possibly clinched the deal. "We're from the same country, we live the same way as well," said Pardew's leading scorer. "Both of our parents are from Senegal and, even though I grew up in France, I always lived like I was in Senegal."

He seems amused at the idea of being one of two devout Muslims from West Africa who find themselves on Tyneside. "I think the Senegalese are happy about it," he said. "I guess there are a lot of Senegalese Newcastle fans now. But Papiss is a very quiet guy, all the fuss and hype will not affect him. I've told him everything about the No9 shirt here but I've always said it is just a number."

On Saturday Pardew's new strike force travels to Tottenham Hotspur – coincidentally a club reputed to be extremely keen on acquiring Ba this summer. "We go there and believe we can win," said the former West Ham United forward. "I look at the table and think 'Fifth, woah.' Now we just need to continue our road, continue what we are doing. We need to keep our focus but, as long as we do that, we'll be dangerous."

Newcastle travel to Spurs without the injured Leon Best and Ryan Taylor. Best will be sidelined for several weeks with knee ligament damage while Taylor is expected to make a swifter recovery from soft tissue damage to his right shin sustained when he was caught by Stephen Warnock's studs. Although eyebrows were raised that what seemed a wild lunge as the Villa left-back endeavoured to block Taylor's shot went unpunished, the FA will not review the incident retrospectively as it it says it was an "on the ball" challenge.

Robbie

0,,10278~10199852,00.gif

Name: Demba Ba
Squad number: 19
Nationality: French
Born: 25th May, 1985, Sevres, France
Height: 1.89m (6ft 2.5ins)
Weight: 84.7kgs
Previous clubs: Rouen, Mouscron, 1989 Hoffenheim, West Ham United
Signed: June 2011 from West Ham United
Newcastle United debut: 13th August, 2011 v Arsenal (home), Premier League
Position: Striker

A free transfer arrival from relegated West Ham United on 17th June 2011, Demba Ba became Newcastle manager Alan Pardew's second signing of the summer of 2011.

The striker was brought in to boost United's threat in front of goal, and made an immediate impact on Tyneside.

Ba's Newcastle debut came against Arsneal on the opening day of the 2011/12 campaign, but took eight games to break his duck in the black and white stripes.

However, he managed that against Blackburn on 17th September, and did it in some style - netting a hat-trick as United ran out comfortable 3-1 winners at St. James' Park.

And that was the begging of a real hot streak for the big front man, who bagged eight goals in just six appearances, including another treble at Stoke.

Early Days

Ba's professional career began at Rouen, where he spent one very successful season, before joining Mouscron in 2006.

The striker was prolific during his one year at the Belgian outfit, but his spell was interrupted by fractures to his tibia and fibula. He moved clubs and countries again soon after, switching to Germany and TSG 1899 Hoffenheim in August 2009, and Ba played a key role in their promotion to the Bundesliga and the seventh-placed top flight finish which followed.

A move to the Premier League came about in January 2011 when Ba signed for West Ham United, and although he netted seven goals in 12 games, he was unable to save the Hammers from relegation.

International Career

Ba made his debut for Senegal in June 2007 against Tanzania, marking his first cap with a goal. The striker is hoping to be named in Senegal's squad for the 2012 African Cup of Nations.

Home of Barca Fans