David Alaba

El Gato

Villarato!
Current version no. But part of me does wonder what Varane would be like without Ramos in the club for at least 1 full season. I still think this is far from a lost cause and it's just this old rotten environment where same names are top of the food chain in the locker room while he's always treated as this 19-year old kid who's good, but needs to be put in his place. I know it's on him to be the commanding presence, but it's very different when you're supposed to be challenging arguably the best CB and captain in club history for a place higher up on the ladder and that dude is a physical freak like Cristiano who just won't get worse.

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
I don't think Varane would have suddenly performed better without Ramos given enough playing time. He is already 28 , just look at our senior players who got slapped in the CL several years in a row (he obviously didn't get slapped , but he did drop absolute stinkers against Ajax, City , Juve ? etc.) they have only gotten worse mentally. Then you have the likes of Nacho and Militao who have really stepped for you guys just fine without Ramos. Either way I guess we will see how he will do at Real next year without Ramos or somewhere else.

Edit: deleted my post since you added on to it.

El Gato

Villarato!
Maybe.

I'd like to think it's not part of the same pattern and a different coach (Poch) and different hierarchy would make Varane a GOAT caliber defender again. Sans Ramos and Marcelo he'd be the defender who's been at the club the longest. I'd hate to see the good development arc play itself out in a United shirt when it could have been here.

Not even that bothered about Alaba. Much more excited to see Militao barge into the RCB spot with full force and be Pepe 2.0

E:Yh I know

I do also like that we may be able to convince Marcelo to forgo his salary and use Alaba as utility wide. Especially if we can get Kounde from Seville.

Whatever the plan, I don't think he's coming here to be an automatic starter unless we move to 3ATB permanently

Last edited:

mc_lovin

5 year contract with those wages is a bit insane. He's 34 at the end of his contract.

I am not sure he's all that either in any position other than LB. As a CB or midfielder he's closer to the likes of Lenglet or Roberto for me than actual worldclass footballers. And at LB they have Mendy, who's kind of awesome. And the highly rated Castilla kid.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's not that insane if he's to be the most experienced (other than Nacho) defender in the side. Kind of goes with the expected place on the ladder. A bit more insane if Varane stays. If we get rid of both our CBs, we'll either get Kounde or stick with Vallejo as 4th choice for another year and in both cases Alaba is the most 'made' name who you'd expect to be earning the most by some margin.

I don't like that he gets 12 (if true) or that rumored signing-on bonus. But there's nothing better out there.

Catta

If they get Conte, he will be great as a LCB in a 3-man defense. But if they play in a back-4 then he is not much better than Nacho as a CB. He also didn't play as a LB in ages, doubt he would be an improvement over Mendy there.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He has been playing CB in the last Bayern games as far as I remember. Not too bad, I think his form actually improved in the 2nd half of the season.

He offers a lot offensively, wonder how Madrid will use that.

kattanib

Hopefully a huge disappointment and failure. 12M a year is a lot of money, and hopefully it goes down the drain due to bad performance or maybe .........

LMTR14

best possible outcome ^^ Alaba only works for Bayern, as has been seen when watching the Austrian national team (where he plays wherever he wants instead of defense) for many years now. his nickname is "Alibi" (I guess that can't really be translated but essentially he's somebody who never delivers what he is actually capable of). this and his incessant Jesus worshiping has made him quite unpopular with a lot of Austrian fans over the last few years. I predict this guy will flop HUGELY in Spain. 5 year contract and massive wages = it's a winning package (for everybody who hates Real :))

Last edited:

Birdy

Depends how the team plays.
In a team that wants to attack out and out, have possession, and press high up the pitch, he is WC.
In a team that wants to sit inside the box and defend, maybe not.
He will be a starter 100%.

It's a pity we didn't go out and out for him.
He is ideal to replace Lenglet either in a back 3 or in a back 4

Garcia will be a better signing than Alaba.

You are trolling mate obviously

Home of Barca Fans