Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Other - specify

Votes: 54 58.1%

• Total voters

Devils

Wenger would be absolute suicide.

We already have a board that cuts corners when it comes to strengthening the squad, Wenger would just add to that.

Trophies are expected at Barca. You can't hire a manager who has won nothing in nearly 9 years.

DennyCrane

We're stuck with some pretty shit options tbh.

Yes. But I think it's time for yet another van Gaal comeback and he hasn't signed with Tottenham yet.

Sure, he's a dictator but he knows the club and the least he will do is lay a foundation for the future. The (possible) transfer ban will not allow him to load the team from top to bottom with dutch players again and he will promote a lot of youngsters.

Oh, also this:

Screen-Shot-2012-11-27-at-10.16.07-PM-480x341.png

mazp

Wenger would be absolute suicide.

We already have a board that cuts corners when it comes to strengthening the squad, Wenger would just add to that.

Trophies are expected at Barca. You can't hire a manager who has won nothing in nearly 9 years.

At least Wenger has won trophies in the past. More than some of the names the club has been linked with...

mazp

Yes. But I think it's time for yet another van Gaal comeback and he hasn't signed with Tottenham yet.

Sure, he's a dictator but he knows the club and the least he will do is lay a foundation for the future. The (possible) transfer ban will not allow him to load the team from top to bottom with dutch players again and he will promote a lot of youngsters.

Oh, also this:

Screen-Shot-2012-11-27-at-10.16.07-PM-480x341.png

I'd take van Gaal, right now. But he won't be the boards puppet. That's why the board won't go after bigger names, because the bigger names aren't going to be puppets for them.

Devils

At least Wenger has won trophies in the past. More than some of the names the club has been linked with...

That's the past.

The game has changed since his period of dominance. The only problem is that he hasn't evolved along with it.

He just keeps getting worse and worse. Terrible issues with his management at the moment such as his teams completely losing form in the second half of the season, getting annihilated by other top teams.

On top of that he's extremely stubborn and arrogant.

It's like a combination of both Tito and Tata's worst traits combined.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
No club has had to deal with the amount of injuries and transfer limitations as Arsenal have, imagine what has happened to Dortmund this season happening to them every season and in a league where there's more than one good team.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If we learned anything from the past few season, we learned that we need motivational coach more than tactical. Tito was the tactical brain when Pep was a coach but did an average job when he was a coach. Same with Tata who suppose to be master tactical. We play simple football and that's why we were successful when we had Pep who is motivational perfectionist coach. I would take Wenger over Valverde any day as he is perfectionist too and with team like Barca he will do well (Barca ain't Arsenal). His problem is that he stayed too long in Arsenal, he needs to recharge the battery and new challenge.

My choice would be Klopp or Conte but Wenger should be interesting.

Tito was never the tactical brain behind Pep's team. He was actually quite poor tactically (passively/brainlessly continuing everything from previously using the momentum of the Pep era. Instilling no pressing system.) His own ideas weren't smart ones (song CB, Iniesta LW, etc.)

Tata is ok tactically but not a Barca coach. He had ideas but executed them so poorly, losing the control of the players doesn't help either. He had no true tactical system, just weak instructions.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
No club has had to deal with the amount of injuries and transfer limitations as Arsenal have, imagine what has happened to Dortmund this season happening to them every season and in a league where there's more than one good team.

Yep and despite that he manages to qualify for CL and reach playoffs every season, he is very consistent considering resources he has.

Cule4life

The Culest
Maybe for the first few weeks....... until Xavi is crippled for life by Bielsa's ridiculously intense pressing system :xavi:

If we were to bring on a coach just for laughs, it should be Bielsa :lol:

Whats your opinion on Frank De Boer? Whos your choice for Barca manager among both realistic and fantasy options?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Whats your opinion on Frank De Boer? Whos your choice for Barca manager among both realistic and fantasy options?

De Boer is my ideal for realism. Very obsessive and detail oriented tactician, can create a unified system for us. He just needs decent circumstances. He's a coach who can create and innovate. People point to the Salzburg game but that's a single blip, even Bayern lost 3-0 to them in a friendly.

Fantasy would be Pep and maybe Brendan Rodgers. He's great with tactics, transfers, and handling egos. Not happening anytime soon though.

I posted a link to a great analysis of De Boer's system. He seems like the smartest choice we could make.

De Boer has been shifting around in his comments regarding his link to the Barca job. First he said that he would like a younger team like Liverpool who are in a period of growth. Now he says he'd definitely consider Barca. He's also made other comments like saying that if the right opportunity presents itself, he could coach in the EPL (tbh I think that's an indirect way of saying that if the Liverpool job were to somehow become available, he'd take it). The point is that even though he says he's happy at Ajax, he's definitely considering his future options as now is the point he seems least rooted to the club.

My thoughts are that the prospect of having such a prestigious coaching position at Barca definitely appeals to him, but he's somewhat offset by various factors. I genuinely pray that if he comes, the board do their best to accommodate him and give him power (unlike they've done with Tito and Tata). If he gets a great group of players that he can work with and total support for his transfer desires, then he'd love to be here and make himself home at Barca.

Anyway here's a VERY in depth analysis of De Boer's tactical system at Ajax, both offensively and defensively:

http://smcb1997.wordpress.com/2014/...ng-the-skilled-thinking-behind-frank-de-boer/
http://smcb1997.wordpress.com/2014/...a-tactical-analysis-of-ajaxs-defensive-phase/

Hamzah

High Definition Member
If it happens every season, it's not bad luck. I'd call it lousy training methods from Mr. Wenger.

Agree. Don't get me wrong Wenger has some upsides, just not the upsides Barca need right now. I don't think he is the leader we need right now, but I respect his football knowledge and how he does a good job given the circumstances at Arsenal.

Duke

Tito was never the tactical brain behind Pep's team. He was actually quite poor tactically (passively/brainlessly continuing everything from previously using the momentum of the Pep era. Instilling no pressing system.) His own ideas weren't smart ones (song CB, Iniesta LW, etc.)

Tata is ok tactically but not a Barca coach. He had ideas but executed them so poorly, losing the control of the players doesn't help either. He had no true tactical system, just weak instructions.

What are you talking about? Tito was arguably the brains behind most of Pep Guardiola's tactical decisions, even Pep admits that. Both Tito and Tata failed in leadership department while Guardiola succeeded. We need a a charismatic leader who can push and motivate players, players who will follow their guru no matter what. Sorry but Valverde not exactly the guru our players will follow and definitely not charismatic.

I won't think Wenger as charismatic but can be motivational leader and philosophical guru that will influence our players positively

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
What are you talking about? Tito was arguably the brains behind most of Pep Guardiola's tactical decisions, even Pep admits that. Both Tito and Tata failed in leadership department while Guardiola succeeded. We need a a charismatic leader who can push and motivate players, players who will follow their guru no matter what. Sorry but Valverde not exactly the guru our players will follow and definitely not charismatic.

I won't think Wenger as charismatic but can be motivational leader and philosophical guru that will influence our players positively

Where on earth did Pep say that Tito was the brains behind Barca? Pep created the system, Pep executed it. He was the one who meticulously implanted the tiki taka philosophy in 08/09, he was the first one who thought of moving Messi to false 9 (he doubted it bc of Ibra, but Tito encouraged him). Pep's methods were his, evolved and learned from his mentors in Cruyff and Bielsa. Tito was his closest advisor, the one who Pep discussed things with; however don't make the mistake that it was Tito controlling things all along.

Pep has always been the brains, any stupid media that made Tito out to be the "genius behind the curtains" are wrong. Even now at Bayern, Pep has gotten the system to flow well and made strides tactically (Robben developing as much as he has, Lahm being such a good conversion to DM, etc.).

When Tito started coaching Barca, our pressing dropped drastically. It was no coincidence that the "lesser appreciated" parts of Pep's system were the first to fall after he left, because Tito didn't have a good understanding on how things worked. Our movement became more static and the team stopped pressing, yet they were still able to ride the momentum of our technical football for a while. Isolating Iniesta on the LW was not a good decision yet he stuck with that lineup for a majority of his tenure. If Tito really were the "active tactician" that you're trying to make him out to be, he'd understand that the team needed off the ball tactics just as much as tiki taka itself. Tito doesn't understand tactics, he just knew how to continue the same procedure at Barca because he was Pep's right hand man. Any time a decision of his own was required (in difficult times) he failed. Played the same lineups, deteriorated our tactics, was tactically outclassed in all big games, the list goes on and on.

There was no way that Tito was the brains behind anything. Forget being able to lead, he never understood tactics as coach either.

Home of Barca Fans