CL | 1/4 Final: FC Barcelona - FC Bayern Munich 2-8

Alik

I honestly have not seen such a huge underdog sentiment even when we played Liverpool last year who by all metrics were superior to this Bayern team (still are because they have a world class manager and better talent overall).

I watched the full game of Bayern against Chelsea yesterday and honestly, Chelsea defended like amateurs. We're not some defensive juggernaut but we're hardly that level. Lampard's side has shipped in 79! goals this season and lost 12-13 times in the EPL alone?

In a neutral ground over 90 mins, I think we should be able to give Bayern a game. They're clear favorites but I don't think this level of fear is warranted. If Quique employs a hard working midfield with FDJ and some combination of Puig, Busquets, and Roberto we have our chances. Messi will need to play out of this world too.

That's because:
1. Of the trauma from Roma and Liverpool. Even against Napoli, the fans (and the players) were nervous.
2. We are a weaker team now than we were against Liverpool.
3. Having already lost the League and the Copa this season does not boost morale.

KingLeo10

That's because:
1. Of the trauma from Roma and Liverpool. Even against Napoli, the fans (and the players) were nervous.
2. We are a weaker team now than we were against Liverpool.
3. Having already lost the League and the Copa this season does not boost morale.

I'm more than fine with the underdog status but to me, "we're going to get pummeled" or "Bayern will score double digits" or "Bayern will annihilate us" or any variation of this is small club mentality.

On one hand, our fans moan about us not getting to deeper stages of CL more often. And now when we do have the opportunity, it's straight fear. Seems to me like some of our fans (not you) are only comfortable being Barcelona fans when we are overwhelming favorites with all time great teams.

They should probably get used to ties being more 50-50 or us being underdogs in the future. Perhaps even get used to the fact that CL finals aren't automatically won like Juve, Bayern, United, Milan, Pool fans have come to know.

khaled_a_d

I honestly have not seen such a huge underdog sentiment even when we played Liverpool last year who by all metrics were superior to this Bayern team (still are because they have a world class manager and better talent overall).

I watched the full game of Bayern against Chelsea yesterday and honestly, Chelsea defended like amateurs. We're not some defensive juggernaut but we're hardly that level. Lampard's side has shipped in 79! goals this season and lost 12-13 times in the EPL alone?

In a neutral ground over 90 mins, I think we should be able to give Bayern a game. They're clear favorites but I don't think this level of fear is warranted. If Quique employs a hard working midfield with FDJ and some combination of Puig, Busquets, and Roberto we have our chances. Messi will need to play out of this world too.

Finally some common sense.
It is like our fans wants to torture themselves for a full week instead of being hopeful.
That said, Alik has a solid argument. Still there is a lot of over reaction.

soul24rage

I think we'll give them a game for about the first 25-30 min.

Then after that it's basically luck and Setien's in-game management (which I have no confidence in).

Vilarrubi

Finally some common sense.
It is like our fans wants to torture themselves for a full week instead of being hopeful.
That said, Alik has a solid argument. Still there is a lot of over reaction.

+1

Odds are in favour of Bayern of course, but we have a chance.

Some guy on here saying he hopes we lose 9-1. Fucking loser.

KingLeo10

+1

Odds are in favour of Bayern of course, but we have a chance.

Some guy on here saying he hopes we lose 9-1. Fucking loser.

Supporting Barca when we have

Messi
Xavi
Iniesta
Neymar
Suarez
Alves
Puyol
Pique
Henry
Eto'o
etc etc. on the pitch is easy.

Now that we're not favorites, people on here predict double digit losses. Even fans of opponents like Arsenal and co. (who rarely win anything) had greater self belief going up against Prime Barcelona. Boggles my mind.

FinBarcelonafan

Supporting Barca when we have

Messi
Xavi
Iniesta
Neymar
Suarez
Alves
Puyol
Pique
Henry
Eto'o
etc etc. on the pitch is easy.

Now that we're not favorites, people on here predict double digit losses. Even fans of opponents like Arsenal and co. (who rarely win anything) had greater self belief going up against Prime Barcelona. Boggles my mind.

I think it's the memories of the past. We have lost vs Liverpool 4-0, fucking Rome 3-0, Juve 3-0 vs PSG 4-0!!! Those are the recent games away from Camp Nou. I don't think Arsenal ever had this bad result away from home.

Not to mention, those Barca teams were much better than we have right now.. How do you feel comfortable going vs the best team in the world? Yeah, not good.

Fans are shitting pants, players are shitting pants.. Everybody.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

I think it's the memories of the past. We have lost vs Liverpool 4-0, fucking Rome 3-0, Juve 3-0 vs PSG 4-0!!! Those are the recent games away from Camp Nou. I don't think Arsenal ever had this bad result away from home.

These same players who've lost big games have also won a lot of big games.

And Arsenal have been getting destroyed by Barca and Bayern in CL for the last 10 years.

We've destroyed them 4-1 (Messi scored all 4), Bayern 5-1 and so on.

Vilarrubi

Not to mention, those teams were much better than we have right now.. How do you feel comfortable going vs the best team in the world? Yeah, not good.

Fans are shitting pants, players are shitting pants.. Everybody.

Arsenal lost 5-1 both home and away to Bayern lol 10-2 on aggregate :lol:

henias

It honestly still relies heavily on our tactics, if we were to play like we did before the short break, going all out, keeping futile possession with a lopsided team, then Bayern will bulldoze us on the counter. Now that we are playing a little smarter, chances of us being humiliated will inherently be lesser. The "overreaction" was definitely justified considering how bad we were struggling against smaller teams. Those who claim double digits are obviously just exaggeration, but by no means we wont be humiliated.

BUT, Setien like EV could potentially set us for disaster if we don't put the game to bed. You could argue Bayern isnt as strong as Liverpool then but we are also much weaker now, and the need to shoehorn star players into the team(eg. Griez), even though he doesnt fit AT ALL, not giving chances to players more well versed in their roles (Puig), even if it means subbing them early if we struggle to create options. I think having Messi will always give us that edge no other team will ever have, which is good, but it is still praying for one player to carry the attack. Here is when the manager has to step in and bring the right reinforcement and also inject more dynamic and energetic players.

Dragging the game will also mean we will lose more chance considering our energy seeps and we won't be able to keep up. It's great to be optimistic but not be too complacent.

Could literally say the same for fans who were so confident Liverpool or Roma will never score 4 or 3; it goes both ways. Personally, I think this match is a 50/50, it ultimately depends on what lineup and tactics on that very day, it can go either way for both.

Rory

Bayern's defence is nothing to be scared of neither is Neuer anymore. If you can score a goal in a game you can win it and we have a high chance of scoring so it's not all doom and gloom. Who wins a midfield battle between Busquets, Frenkie and Vidal/Puig/Rakitic VS Goretzka, Kimmich, Tolisso/Thiago/Muller/Maritnez. Pretty even really. Semedo defensively can handle a pacey winger. Alba has the pace to keep up with their other winger so Bayern's speed isn't as huge an advantage as we may think. Pique and Lenglet stopping Lewandowski isn't as impossible as we might think, he rarely shows up in big games in the ucl, Lenglet is in great form too.

Genuinely think it could go either way.

Home of Barca Fans