Champions League

Windhook

That's mainly because the best managers in the world moved to the Premier League. Wouldn't be surprised if England wins a World Cup in the coming years.

gasgas

It's more that the best managers are flowing into the EPL, take Tuchel, Klopp & Pep out of the Premier and into La Liga it would turn around the other way, imo.

The next Premier League TV deal (2022-25) will not be an auction as usual as they fear it could be smaller than the current deal (2019-22) so they are going keep it at the current rate which is smaller than the previous one (2016-19), I think they have reached their limit for TV rights domestically anyway.

La Liga's current deal (2019-22)is up from the last (2016-19) so they have closed in considerably to the Premier League financially but still way off, unfortunately. They have to increase the next deal to close the gap further. The main problem with La Liga is that Barca and Real have wasted 100s of millions and both have mediocre managers and Atletico have grown stale under Simeone.

Barca have Koeman ffs, how can Barca expect to compete with clubs who have equal or better players and much much better managers. We got to hope that Xavi is the real deal, otherwise I don't know were our next top class coach os going to come from.

Better manager equals better signings and better training equals better athleticism and workrate and better use of tevhnical skills

serghei

It's more that the best managers are flowing into the EPL, take Tuchel, Klopp & Pep out of the Premier and into La Liga it would turn around the other way, imo.

The next Premier League TV deal (2022-25) will not be an auction as usual as they fear it could be smaller than the current deal (2019-22) so they are going keep it at the current rate which is smaller than the previous one (2016-19), I think they have reached their limit for TV rights domestically anyway.

La Liga's current deal (2019-22)is up from the last (2016-19) so they have closed in considerably to the Premier League financially but still way off, unfortunately, they have to increase the next deal to close the gap further. The main problem with La Liga is that Barca and Real have wasted 100s of millions and both have mediocre managers and Atletico have grown stale under Simeone.

Barca have Koeman ffs, how can you expect Barca to compete with clubs who have equal or better players and much much better managers. We got to hope that Xavi is the real deal, otherwise I don't know were our next top class coach os going to come from.

True. If Xavi doesn't work, we'll struggle against the biggest sides in Europe for a minimum of 4-5 years IMO. But we need to look at this like it's normal imo. Trim down our expectations. Look at Chelsea, when did Chelsea make the last semifinal? 2014? That's 7 years ago.

Since 2014 Chelsea were largely irrelevant in CL.

JamDav1982

Chelsea have also drawn with Leeds, lost at home to West Brom and drew at home to Brighton in last 7 games.

They will need to get better at beating the smaller sides that sit in more if Tuchel fancies run at anything next season.

gasgas

Without exaggeration pretty much the entire top 10 in the Prem moves the ball faster, presses the ball quicker as a unit and counter attacks faster than Barca.

I used to suffer going to Villa Park every other week and watching Barca was my release. It's genuinely the other way around now in terms of excitement :lol:
I watch epl football very often and their matches are more fun. Fast paced, technical too.

Barca games are a chore to watch

Bobo32

Chelsea are more like 2nd or 3rd if we base it on form though, they had some catching up to do after Lampard to get in 4th.

Sure, they have some momentum now. Still not good enough to give me the right feel for a CL final. I guess it's also to do with them being from the same country, also lessens the excitement.

fergus90

It is true that it's down to the quality of managers, when once exceeds it forces others to raise their game and other clubs flock to poach the best available.

It's no coincidence that when La Liga ruled Pep was there, prime Ancelotti had a spell, prime Mourinho before he went off the rails. Simeone when he was fresh, even young managers like Poch at the time.

Now Barca has Koeman who's been around the block, Setien who was literally pulling udders before arriving to the Camp Nou and Valverde who was a proven but very cautious manager without ever hitting the heights.

We've been surviving on the fumes of that era but now its well and truly evaporated. No one with fresh ideas or modern approaches but experienced managers who are getting their best gig 20 years into their managerial careers.

Last edited:

Porque

I don't think we need to go overboard with the EPL final and being a level above the LaLiga sides. LaLiga (well Barcelona and Madrid) have no one to blame but themselves.

Abu Dhabi Oil Exports and Global Branding Group aside, if we compare Chelsea and Madrid it comes down to Real Madrid (like Barcelona) absolutely fucking up in the transfer market. Madrid didn't spend anything this transfer window, but last transfer window they spent 355m euros on players. Compare that to Chelsea who spent 247m euros this transfer window, plus 45m on Kovacic the previous winter market after terminating their transfer ban.

With Barcelona, we all know too well what happened. Meanwhile Atletico Madrid decided to sign Rolls-Royce players for a Destruction Derby manager.

So to paraphrase the wise words of Vincent Kennedy McMahon, "EPL did not screw LaLiga, LaLiga screwed LaLiga".

JamDav1982

Of course it is down to the managers in large part but those managers are attracted to the league in first place due to the exposure, money, players in team and up against every week, number of worldwide clubs, the stadiums.

The coaches are there due to what the league brings.

Morten

I don't think we need to go overboard with the EPL final and being a level above the LaLiga sides. LaLiga (well Barcelona and Madrid) have no one to blame but themselves.

Abu Dhabi Oil Exports and Global Branding Group aside, if we compare Chelsea and Madrid it comes down to Real Madrid (like Barcelona) absolutely fucking up in the transfer market. Madrid didn't spend anything this transfer window, but last transfer window they spent 355m euros on players. Compare that to Chelsea who spent 247m euros this transfer window, plus 45m on Kovacic the previous winter market after terminating their transfer ban.

With Barcelona, we all know too well what happened. Meanwhile Atletico Madrid decided to sign Rolls-Royce players for a Destruction Derby manager.

So to paraphrase the wise words of Vincent Kennedy McMahon, "EPL did not screw LaLiga, LaLiga screwed LaLiga".

True, Barca and RM has spent plenty of money over the years, well up there with PL-teams, and yet you have Perez out there crying over how little money RM and Barca have compared to PL clubs.

serghei

OF course it is down to the managers in large part but those managers are attracted to the league in first place due to the exposure, money, players in team and up against every week, number of worldwide clubs, the stadiums.

The coaches are there due to what the league brings.

You think if we wanted Tuchel he wouldn't have come to Barca? We don't even approach these managers. We're just happy within our own little disconnected bubble. Bartomeu was more concerned with keeping Messi & CO happy than being in touch with top managers when they are available.

Last edited:

serghei

Also, Zidane is a top class manager, but he's far more suited for an already set team. His tendency is to stick with ready-made players, and he struggles to work with young raw talent imo. Much more of a Mourinho/Simeone type for me.

JamDav1982

Also, Zidane is a top class manager, but he's far more suited for an already set team. His tendency is to stick with ready-made players, and he struggles to work with young raw talent imo. Much more of a Mourinho/Simeone type for me.

Dont think he is top class despite the CL wins.

He commands respect and more or less set up team in very basic way which worked when had some of best players in world.

Keeping it that simple and it working has to be credited but nothing like going in and building a side and setting them up and any impressive way tactically.

Doubt many top clubs are chasing Zidane as coach.

Home of Barca Fans