Champions League Semi Final: Liverpool - FC Barcelona 4-3 agg.

Zidane82

I can't believe how childish some of you are. Most of whom probably can't even find Barcelona on a map.

Winning the league and probably the Copa del Rey and it's still not enough.

It's football, sometimes you lose. Deal with it.
Nobody cares that we won La Liga against virtually no competition..or that we may win Copa Del Lidl ..

Many of us just want to see the glorious free flowing , creative, dreamlike football we are known for playing.

I’m off work today and watching tv , listening to radio , checking online ..
We are the worlds laughing stock .. we are getting slaughtered all over the place.

Howlgrana

Guys, any ideas for who could replace EV and motivate the players?

I'm thinking Xavi is the only one, get the players motivated again and to go back to the passing possession football that is in Barca DNA. He got his pro license to manage any team this month iirc. Aside from Xavi, I keep hearing Philip Cocu, but I don't think he has that motivation factor.

neo_wolf

It will be years until we can recover from these past 2 years, the only way we can is by winning 3 straight cl like rm but that will never happen, even if we win next year it wont help with anything.

neo_wolf

I'm thinking Xavi is the only one, get the players motivated again and to go back to the passing possession football that is in Barca DNA. He got his pro license to manage any team this month iirc. Aside from Xavi, I keep hearing Philip Cocu, but I don't think he has that motivation factor.

I wish xavi would be our next trainer but he wont, he will feel he will need to earn his place by spending a couple of years at barca b.

JackaL

The melt-down in the second half really hurt. In the first, at least we looked like we could easily find chances to score, and we did find them.

Howlgrana

I wish xavi would be our next trainer but he wont, he will feel he will need to earn his place by spending a couple of years at barca b.

Yes I feel he may do 1 year best case at Barca B then take over. But you never know, Bartomeu and the board may go to him for 1st team manager. You know I don't think doing 1 year as Barca B manager is such a great prep in any case, it's good to get to know La Masia players and take them into the 1st team but that's about it.

It will be years until we can recover from these past 2 years, the only way we can is by winning 3 straight cl like rm but that will never happen, even if we win next year it wont help with anything.

No if we win the CL next year all will be forgotten, but that looks highly unlikely right now. The narrative right now is Barca era is finished, we're no longer a threat or at the highest level. We've had this before of course, like when Bayern thrashed us or even last year with Roma. Difference is now players really are getting old. So it's harder to keep coming back from these humiliations. There's been way too many humiliations.

One thing a new manager needs to do is learn how to avoid being crushed away from home by the strongest clubs in Europe.

Howlgrana

[tw]1126043574712393728?s=20[/tw]

Yes he speaks great sense. Barca created some good chances and some clear chances throughout the game (in order of play: Coutinho, Alba and Suarez, the latter two being clear chances to score). Like I said before, it is now impossible for the players to believe in EV, so he must be replaced.

xxxxxx

I also thought he'd change the team after 45mins, I was surprised he tried the same trick he did with Semedo, turning to a 4-4-2. As if Kloppo wasn't watching the first game.

When Semedo came on, he actually did well. He stopped Mane from attacking. But he didn't come on till after we were already 3-0 down. If Valverde makes that change at half-time and puts Roberto in the midfield, I guarantee you we don't concede 3 more goals.

We were crying out for 2 changes at half-time. Bring Arthur on for Rakitic and Semedo on for Coutinho. Yeah, we wouldn't have that much of a threat in attack, but we would have had more control in the midfield. It would have benefit Messi way more in that 2nd half.

Last edited:

Pfmpd1

Yes, we have Messi, but even though he is the GOAT, he can't be saving our asses every single game. Most of our players are at the end of their careers, it was just a matter of when this would become brutally obvious. Liverpool made it brutally obvious a few hours ago, this is the truth of the matter.

Of course Anfield is a factor, but if we had prime Xavi/Iniesta/Alves, we could never lose 4-0. Not in a million years, we are simply not good enough anymore. Many teams have come to Anfield and got a far better result than 4-0.

As for winning leagues. Liverpool is the only big European club that has not been able to do it, partly due to fluctuations in your performance over the years, partly due to EPL depth in Top 4 (even 6, now) and partly due to bad luck.

But winning leagues is a footnote next to the European Cup. Barcelona, Juventus, PSG, Bayern Munich, and even Man City are all a bunch of losers compared to where you are right now. The European Cup is the pinnacle of World football, even better than the World Cup if you ask me.

Look at United. They have 20 leagues, but only 3 CLs. Look at Juventus, what 35 Scudetti, but only 2 European Cups. Look at us, we have dominated Real Madrid domestically, but we lag badly in CLs. City/Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs and even United are envious of you. All of Europe, especially us, are now envious of you. This is the truth.

Xavi and iniesta along with Messi are unfortunately ultimate all time legends and I think it will be a long time before we see another player at their level.

The closest player that can reach standards as high as that is probably only mbappe.

On the CL trophy, yeah it is an amazing competition, but when we haven't won a league for 29 years, it becomes the biggest want.

If city had dropped points against Leicester on Monday then tonight probably wouldn't of happened.

Flavius

When Semedo came on, he actually did well. He stopped Mane from attacking. But he didn't come on till after we were already 3-0 down. If Valverde makes that change at half-time and puts Roberto in the midfield, I guarantee you we don't concede 3 more goals.

We were crying out for 2 changes at half-time. Bring Arthur on for Rakitic and Semedo on for Coutinho. Yeah, we wouldn't have that much of a threat in attack, but we would have had more control in the midfield. It would have benefit Messi way more in that 2nd half.

I know it.s everything done, but first 11 was very predictable...With Semedo from start think would.ve made more sense...who knows, it.s already done. I have no more faith in this team with Valverde at helm, that.s very clear for me.

Zidane82

I’d give the Ajax guy the job for two years and have Xavi work alongside him..

Howlgrana

I’d give the Ajax guy the job for two years and have Xavi work alongside him..

Yes that could work, they played together for a spell in Barca's midfield 2001-2003. I don't know what type of football his teams play though. It's imperative to go back to learning how to control the ball in tight spaces and retain possession.

Home of Barca Fans