Champions League Semi Final: Liverpool - FC Barcelona 4-3 agg.

Havesaks

Our team need to get ready from the get go in case Liverpool also play 15-20m powerplay like United last time , and thats very likely imo. Also a reason for me to start with Dembele contra Coutinho, so he can exploit the them on counters. It probably will be coutinho tho.

ArtistCatalunya

According to Mr Klopp, Roberto Firmino had a slight muscular problem during the training. But he should be present and ready to play in the CampNou.

Last edited:

Howlgrana

Yes I agree, we need a multi goal lead going to Anfield and must not concede at Nou Camp. Individual quality of Barca is definitely higher but Klopp has nearly all of his first team playing at their maximum whereas there are a few Barca players who are not at their max right now (Busquets and Coutinho as two examples).

The one clear weakness for Liverpool is their British fullbacks. Arnold and Robertson are both very young, inexperienced and like all British players, give the ball away under pressure because of average technique. That is where damage can be done, we need to use quick transitions as chances to overload these positions and get behind their backline.

One boon for us also is that Pique, Alba and Ter Stegen are in top form right now, they are going to be crucial versus the Scousers.

Barcilliant

Play Semedo and maybe even start Vidal in the second leg. They will press very aggressively against Busquets. He is the weak link. They won't give him time to play the ball out.

This is actually where I would play 442. Coutinho is off form, Dembele just coming back from injury. Just play Messi and Suarez upfront.

Arizona Scott

Yes whether Matip or Lovren, RCB is a weaker point. Particularly for a quicker smaller player as both a little clumsy. They are better with Gomez there, but I don't think they start him--not a ton of action since his injury (december).

Klopp will be leary of Messi and the creativity in Barca attack. I think we will pick a few rare spots to press our backline, but with more of tactical focus on the midfielders helping to nuetralizing Messi, Suarez and possible Coutinho little combinations through the middle. That may mean Alba or the RB having to come up for attacking spaces available on the wing. But here balance is key, Pool has a lightening counter off mistakes and we all know Busi and Rakitic can get outrun easily, so one of the fullback must stay back if one is forward to help Pique and Lenglet on the break,.

This is really going to be a fascinating draw. Liverpool is a well oiled team with talent all over and lethal quick strike potential. We have Messi that can sometimes lay waste to the best made plans.

I really think the teams will play fairly cautiously. I'd settle for a 1-0 win at the Nou Camp.

FinBarcelonafan

Yes whether Matip or Lovren, RCB is a weaker point. Particularly for a quicker smaller player as both a little clumsy. They are better with Gomez there, but I don't think they start him--not a ton of action since his injury (december).

Klopp will be leary of Messi and the creativity in Barca attack. I think we will pick a few rare spots to press our backline, but with more of tactical focus on the midfielders helping to nuetralizing Messi, Suarez and possible Coutinho little combinations through the middle. That may mean Alba or the RB having to come up for attacking spaces available on the wing. But here balance is key, Pool has a lightening counter off mistakes and we all know Busi and Rakitic can get outrun easily, so one of the fullback must stay back if one is forward to help Pique and Lenglet on the break,.

This is really going to be a fascinating draw. Liverpool is a well oiled team with talent all over and lethal quick strike potential. We have Messi that can sometimes lay waste to the best made plans.

I really think the teams will play fairly cautiously. I'd settle for a 1-0 win at the Nou Camp.

Barcelona going to Anfield with 1-0 win. We would be fucked. They will crush us at Anfield. We need at least 2 or 3 goals and zero for them to go through from this.

serghei

Barcelona going to Anfield with 1-0 win. We would be fucked. They will crush us at Anfield. We need at least 2 or 3 goals and zero for them to go through from this.

We score a goal away and they need 3 to go through. 1-0 at home is a very good result.

I'd sign for a 1-0 right now on the spot.

FC B

I feel we would have the most chances if we play balanced and control the midfield with 70% possession. Try to make it a slow game as too much dinamic end to end stuff hurts us. Only way we do that is to not take stupid risks (hence why I wouldn't start Dembele). Move the ball a lot and try to exploit the spaces. Try to find Messi in space. Chances will appear and we need to take them.

I guess this is what Valverde will do even if it could backfire if Barca concedes a goal first.

Yuppp.

We gotta hit them at Camp Nou, but need to nullify their counters at the same time. Arthur and Busi will need to be foot perfect in that regard to stop their counter transitions.

We can't have their midfielders having time to make open or through passes to Mane or Salah because they are so good with their timed runs.

Couldn't agree more.

A middle ground should be found. Liverpool plays some of the best counters in the world + a very solid team defensively.

Playing a typical possession game around their box might not the best idea, especially not with a high defensive line. I can imagine sterile, naive Barca conceding a few.

If they score first, it'll get much more complicated.

It's time now Valverde proves his worth, it's now or never for him in the final of the semifinals, maybe it would've been better for Barca to face Liverpool straight into a single match final than in a tie with the return leg on Anfield...

Last edited:

serghei

It's time now Valverde proves his worth, it's now or never for him in the final of the semifinals, maybe it would've been better for Barca to face Liverpool straight into a single match final than in a tie with the return leg on Anfield...

Everybody must prove it, not only Valverde. The players have a serious task too. The title for the best team in the world is at stake here. If we knock out Liverpool we are back at the top.

Alba needs to show he's better than that Liverpool LB. Busi needs to show he's still the real deal at DM. Messi needs to show he still has it in the final stages in CL. Suarez needs to show he can still score big goals in CL, Stegen needs to confirm he's no1 in the world now, Coutinho needs to prove he's not a flop. Arthur needs to prove he is indeed the biggest talent in midfield along with De Jong. Lenglet needs to show his top season is a confirmation, not an exception. Pique needs to show he is the defense general and the leader we expect him to be.

And so on. Lots of question marks for everyone, not only the manager. Valverde also has to confirm he belongs in the conversation with the likes of Simeone, Klopp, Allegri etc. This could be his breakthrough.

In a nutshell, we have to confirm that we are indeed a great force in Europe, and not just a team who dispatched two mediocre opponents like Lyon and Manchester United.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans