Champions League: PSG - FC Barcelona 3-2

jairzinho

Seems as if you're having a major meltdown yourself, LOL. I fully understand your concern, but to say that we can't make the semis on the basis of one game is a bit unfair to the team. Obviously there were many issues we encountered during the game, especially tactically from lucho, but I prefer at this stage to give him a chance to sort out the problems and make the necessary changes to avoid another embarrassment when we encounter top opposition next time.

gatsu

I agree more or less with the general consensus, yes it’s our first defeat, but there is no reason to raise the red flag yet, a team in the verge of implosion (PSG) is capable of wonders (the example of Sociedad vs Real talks for himself), the era of Pep is gone, it was an exception in the football world, don’t expect to see such domination again when every adversary was a mere sparring partner for training purpose.

PSG has delivered some great performance, a perfect one in every aspect, Defense, Pressing, counter, solidarity (Cavani defending in his own surface was a symbol), we must take the performance of the opposing side into consideration if we want to objectively evaluate our output.

Yes tactically Parisians exposed some of our loopholes, in Lucho’s configuration, the 3 forwards are very axial, they are very close, to optimize the combination game, the RB and LB are the sole responsible of the wings, the eccentric midfielders (Rakitic and Iniesta) play the cover role, in this animation, Iniesta have more responsibilities, he basically has a triple role, creator, defender and accelerator, which is way too much, the issue is when the midfield is not defending well (knowing also that the forwards are not systematically involved in the defensive withdrawal, their axial position don’t help), the opposition team can find a lot of spaces when the pressing is done well.

That said we are still in a reconstruction phase, if it was a direct elimination, this result would be satisfactory, hopefully Lucho will learn something from this game, so we can be perfectly ready for the El classic.

We have a good squad with a great margin and this is only the beginning of the season, it’s absolutely logical to have both positive and negative points, be patient people.

Not playing with a double-pivot was a mistake, IMO. Granted, Pique hasn't been performing much better than Pedro and experimenting with a new formation has its risks. But it would've given us an element of surprise that we were lacking and made us a lot more resilient to their counters. And with Xavi no longer a starter in big games, we can't expect our midfield to dominate other teams' midfields like we used to. But with a double-pivot, Busquets can be given more freedom to dictate play, so even after Suarez returns I think that we should still field Mascherano as DM at the expense of Rakitic in big away games.

We got killed again by set pieces, but this time it was due to our positioning rather than a lack of height. Luiz scored with his foot not his head, & Verratti was marked by Rakitic so if anything it was we who had the height advantage. Not that height isn't a problem, but I think we can resolve this issue by playing Mascherano in a double pivot rather than in defense or perhaps even as a RB.

serghei

^True dat. As a DM, Mascherano is considerably better than Rakitic. And witout a Xavi and with the stupid sale of Cesc (who would've helped a lot under the circumstances), Busquets can't be the defensive midfielder of this team anymore.

L

linetty

Don't blame ter Stegen, he was thrown to the wolves, blame Lucho

F

Flavia

Average positions against psg:

By3httiIIAA4v_A.png

Iniesta and Rakitic too far apart, Busi and Messi only to cover the middle. It's been like that since day 1, but as it worked against some teams, it wasn't being really noticed. It was the same thing that happened away to Malaga and Villarreal. Not really overreaction, just a bad setup for the players we have, imo. Rakitic is making up for it, but we're wasting his creativity. Also Iniesta's bad form could be related to this new positioning. And I don't think Lucho will change that any time soon. Against any team with a decent midfield, we will struggle big time, as it is.

Andrew M

^True dat. As a DM, Mascherano is considerably better than Rakitic. And witout a Xavi and with the stupid sale of Cesc (who would've helped a lot under the circumstances), Busquets can't be the defensive midfielder of this team anymore.

Nah, glad he's gone.

L

linetty

Playing with Pedro is like playing with 10 men. Would rather line up 4 man midfield with Samper.

Andrew M

I'm not. And when Chelsea will win the CL - they're sitting top favourites now IMO - on the back of Fabregas running the show for them, only those who never liked him will continue to be glad we don't have him anymore.

Another clairvoyant now? Got any more betting tips for me?

Fabregas works for Chelsea. He is effective playing those first time through balls and being direct with his bodyguards around him. Just not suited to our needs.

serghei

Another clairvoyant now? Got any more betting tips for me?

Fabregas works for Chelsea. He is effective playing those first time through balls and being direct with his bodyguards around him. Just not suited to our needs.

Not suited to our needs when we had prime Xavi playing. Suited now.

Andrew M

Not suited to our needs when we had prime Xavi playing. Suited now.

Based on what? He is so slow and off the ball is useless. He is really good for England where you look to play first time direct passes. Because he is Catalan we get confused.

serghei

Based on what? He is so slow and off the ball is useless. He is really good for England where you look to play first time direct passes. Because he is Catalan we get confused.

I couldn't care less if he's catalan, african, vietnamese or whatever, he is a creative playmaker and with Xavi ready to retire, Thiago gone and struggling with injuries, we need exactly that. You could say he's slow - and maybe he is -, but the man is a great passer, and looking at Rakitic's delivery from last night, he would've helped. You can agree, or dissagree.

Schumi

Last night's was an ugly defeat. But we should not start panicking just yet, simply because our defects can be at least partly remedied.

1) The useless player that is Pedro will be replaced by the immense Luis Suarez after 3 games. This is a colossal plus.

2) We can use Mathieu at LB against top quality opponents such as PSG.

3) We can use Mascherano as a DM, which will be a massive upgrade on current Sergio.

4) The combination of Mathieu, Vermaelen and Pique as 3 of the back 4, will improve our chances on set-pieces greatly. As good as PSG were last night (and they were great) they did 2/3 of their damage from those darned set-pieces.

5) Luis Suarez. So important, I have to say it twice. His presence will not only be a massive addition for our team. It will also be a god-send for Leo and Ney, alleviating much pressure off of them both.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
its astonishing how some people thinks CESC was bad and couldnt suit our style.
he was managed so badly that i just hope it wont hurt us back.

Home of Barca Fans