Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nemanja Vidic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Yep, agree with most of that obviously. A much better explanation of what I was trying to say, couldn't be arsed to write that much. :D Nesta is a defensive God, nobody comes near to his natural defensive ability in the last decade.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
This is my logic.

Nesta is quite obviously the most talented in that list, no doubt about that. When he's at his best, he is the best. But from what ive seen it wasnt as much as it could of been.

After Nesta, id say Ferdinand is second in terms of talent, but he has consistency, that for me edged it. Was very close between the 2 of them. With Puyol a close 3rd.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
there are three answers to the main poll question:

for best ability you go with Alessandro Nesta. who when he was on, was unplayable. I mean absolutely phenomenal. dude just made defending look like a stroll, but he could also be an action-man CB if he needed to. his performances vs. us in the 2006 CL SF and united in the 2007 CL SF just made my head explode with defensive magnificence. but he's had a few years of injury-plagued awfulness, especially in the latter half of the decade.

for the best consistency, you go with Rio Ferdinand. he's had a lot of injuries basically in the last year, but in the 9 previous ones he was an utterly magnificent defender. he was never as good as Nesta individually, and for the most part he played with much worse team-mates (when United got him a CB partner near his level they tea-bagged the hell out of europe) but until that back issue he was 8/10 minimum every single week. now he's over the back problem you can see the effect his return has on united.

for the best success, you go with Carles Puyol. while Nesta was the most skilled defender and Rio the most consistent, neither has had the all-encompassing success that Puyol has managed. Nesta has 2 CL's, like Puyol, however he lacks the international pedigree that our Captain brings to the frame. Puyol was a central CB in 2 CL's, 3 lligas, 1 copa, a european championship AND a world cup. he's performed to an incredibly high standard in the biggest of big matches for club and country, and if oleguer could mark at set-pieces his teams wouldn't have conceded a single goal in the 4 major finals they played in.

Lucio is basically runner-up in the last two categories, so deserves an honourable mention at least.

Agreed.
Had Nesta played for Italy in 2006 I would have voted him. When it comes to quality he's surely the one.
But I'm going to go with Puyol and his titles, his spirit and ability to shine when it matters the most. Sometimes he looked erratic out there but you have to consider that he played for Barca and often got exposed by his teammates.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
I choose Maldini... for his consitence, security, longevity (he won is first CL at 19 of age in 1989).. almost everithing we can say is less about his carrear...

Ticoaj

I think were gonna make it
Im suprised i dont see marquez mentioned much I thought he was good

I would say nesta the guy was a effing rock in his time But i want to mention costacurta

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I choose Maldini... for his consitence, security, longevity (he won is first CL at 19 of age in 1989).. almost everithing we can say is less about his carrear...

Yeah, me too...Maldini is a reference point, no doubt...Although, tbh, these 'Top' lists are more like bubbler talk since it's pretty impossible to get unanimity

MoFroBo

Nesta - my first jersey was Lazio' s with a name on the back of legendary Nesta. In his prime not even Messi, Ronaldo could pull anything against him.

Seamus

Sh!t clicked on Cannavaro because I didnt see Nesta on the list till after, but ya its gotta be Nesta

Home of Barca Fans