Bernardo Silva

gasgas

I would only take him as a RW

A CM needs more grit, more muscle and solidity
Less dribbles but more vision and passing skills

Look at Modric, Kroos, Koke, Saul, Verratti, pjanic etc.

Other top teams out there don't play anarchic players as CM
With such players there's too much risk taking, too many turnovers
Too much work upon the defence to cover for lost possession and opponent counterattacks

We already have Neymar, Suarez who try too much and lose the ball
Adding another player wtith our lazy midfield would be too much

That's why players like Verratti, Dahoud :cry: , koke, tielemans, herrera, pogba will always be ahead of
Coutinho, Silva, Ozil, Dele Alli as far as playing CM for Barca

There's a reason why Madrid prefer playing Isco as part of the attacking trio more than in the 3 midfield trio
[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] [MENTION=15783]KingMessi[/MENTION]

hulinat

He's a potentially special player IMO, his ball retention is amazing.

You guys missed out on Isco and Madrid reaped the benefits from that, don't miss out on Silva.

Bernardo Silva is a right midfielder. Where would he even play? Certainly not as a RW, and we saw what happened to Arda who was also a LM, but he never fit in here. Same goes for Andre Gomes.
Monaco would demand a huge fee anyway for that player and he'd just end up flopping cus he's Portuguese.
Just concentrate on developing Denis Suarez. He had similar stats to Bernardo Silva last season when he was at Villarreal.

edit: Signing Bernardo Silva as a back up for Messi is the stupidest idea ever. He'd just warm the bench all season long.
If were looking for a RW/LW then Deulofeu is our man and there has already been talks by the club to bring him back in the summer(Maybe Suso too).

Last edited:

serghei

Bernardo can play in midfield. He is a wide midfielder in a 4-4-2, and a lot of times a player who plays there can do fine in a 3 man midfield as well. For example, Koke plays right wide midfielder in a 4-4-2.

Rather than looking where he plays for Monaco, I would rather look at his qualities, and he is very good in exactly the areas where we need strenghtening. And if we choose to play 4-2-3-1, using Busi & Rakitic as double pivot, and having Neymar - Messi - Bernardo Silva as the attacking line, just behind Suarez, seems like a

1588344_FC_Barcelona.jpg

Looks great to me. We can also play 4-3-3 with these players.

Jombi

We cant play Messi in Iniesta's position. It wont work. We need 3 men in midfield, not 4 attackers and 2 midfielders.

I think Thomas Lemar and Naby Keita would be better options for our midfield than any other option.

xavi_the_Boss

I would only take him as a RW

A CM needs more grit, more muscle and solidity
Less dribbles but more vision and passing skills

Look at Modric, Kroos, Koke, Saul, Verratti, pjanic etc.

Other top teams out there don't play anarchic players as CM
With such players there's too much risk taking, too many turnovers
Too much work upon the defence to cover for lost possession and opponent counterattacks

We already have Neymar, Suarez who try too much and lose the ball
Adding another player wtith our lazy midfield would be too much

That's why players like Verratti, Dahoud :cry: , koke, tielemans, herrera, pogba will always be ahead of
Coutinho, Silva, Ozil, Dele Alli as far as playing CM for Barca

There's a reason why Madrid prefer playing Isco as part of the attacking trio more than in the 3 midfield trio
[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] [MENTION=15783]KingMessi[/MENTION]

But they don´t.

gasgas

Bernardo can play in midfield. He is a wide midfielder in a 4-4-2, and a lot of times a player who plays there can do fine in a 3 man midfield as well. For example, Koke plays right wide midfielder in a 4-4-2.

Rather than looking where he plays for Monaco, I would rather look at his qualities, and he is very good in exactly the areas where we need strenghtening. And if we choose to play 4-2-3-1, using Busi & Rakitic as double pivot, and having Neymar - Messi - Bernardo Silva as the attacking line, just behind Suarez, seems like a

1588344_FC_Barcelona.jpg

Looks great to me. We can also play 4-3-3 with these players.

IMO Rakitic doesn't deserve to be in the first eleven

Silva at CM is very similar to playing Arda, Rafinha, Denis there
All suited as RW in 4-4-2

serghei

Not at all, he is a much better passer than either of the ones you mentioned and is excellent in tight spaces, puts in a lot of effort and is overall very skilled with the ball. No reason why he can't play in a midfield 3. And there's no certainty that we'll even play a midfield 3 next season.

khaled_a_d

Rather than looking where he plays for Monaco, I would rather look at his qualities

I like the line up in the photo,but tbh you are giving Koke example but Koke has played well b4 in middle ,I don't know if Silva has done that, but looking at quality was exactly the same thing for Denis & Arda. They looked to "his qualities" and it didn't work.

We cant play Messi in Iniesta's position. It wont work. We need 3 men in midfield, not 4 attackers and 2 midfielders.

Messi has been already playing in midfield for a season and half now,that is the reality we have. We can't play with 4 midfielder either and ignore the right side,this drags our midfielder to the sides and it exposes both midfield and right side. It is tactically disaster for us.
A true RB,an upgrade in CM/DM with Busquets and a RW that tracks back in defense would bring back the balance IMO, we won't be with 4 attackers in such case as both Neymar and new RW would have to do their defensive duties. tbh I believe this is our best bet since Messi doesn't seem to care to play on right side anymore and 3-4-3 proving for the last decade that it is just a temporary solution for us.

serghei

I like the line up in the photo,but tbh you are giving Koke example but Koke has played well b4 in middle ,I don't know if Silva has done that, but looking at quality was exactly the same thing for Denis & Arda. They looked to "his qualities" and it didn't work.

I've watched Monaco closely in some games and I've noticed that a lot of times, their full-backs push high, and we see a formation in attack something like a 2-2-4-2. You see that Silva goes inside when the fullbacks push up and plays in a position that is similar to that of a RCM in a midfield trio. So it is not true that Silva's position is all the time that of a classical right midfielder. He goes inside a lot of times and makes room for Sidibe to push up.

So, Monaco in attack often play 2-2-4-2, and we in attack often play 2-1-4-3. We play Alba - Iniesta - Rakitic - Roberto. covered by Busquets (as opposed to Bakayoko, Fabinho for Monaco, as they use a double pivot in those moments). Monaco has a 4 line that looks like Mendy - Lemar - Silva - Sidibe. So Lemar and Silva play wide or inside depending on the type of play. At Barcelona, considering we dominate 90% of the teams we play, they will have the fullbacks up almost all the time, so they would just play more inside, like they also do with Monaco when they are in a possession-based play.

monaco.jpg

Here, I found one in the Juve highlights as well. You see a positional here, where actually there is almost a 6 line and Lemar with Silva playing in what appears to be the positions where Iniesta and Rakitic play. If they would be classical wide midfielders, they will stay in their wings and make pairs with the fullbacks. But they don't always do that. They also come inside to be part of the central midfield passing play. Koke does this for Atletico as well.

I think he would be absolutely ideal for us.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Bernardo Silva is far better player than fat and unmotivted Arda (who is well past his prime) or average players like Denis and Rafinha. You can't even compare them. Bernardo Silva has quality to adapt like Iniesta did and he is also a hard worker.

I agre with serghei, Bernardo Silva would be ideal for us. IMHO he is a perfect replacement for Iniesta.

Last edited:

gasgas

Bernardo Silva is far better player than fat and unmotivted Arda (who is well past his prime) or average players like Denis and Rafinha. You can't even compare them. Bernardo Silva has quality to adapt like Iniesta did and he is also a hard worker.

I agre with serghei, Bernardo Silva would be ideal for us. IMHO he is a perfect replacement for Iniesta.

They are always better when they are playing for other teams

Denis was tearing teams apart for Villareal
He was MOTM against us

Arda was an experience superstar for Atletico

Rafinha was La Liga's player of the month a few times and at times also IIRC best young player of la liga

They became average when they came to Barca. Wanna know why?
1. It's a whole different thing playing for Barca. The pressure is higher, so is the expectation. We don't know how Silva will deal with that while her
2. They were playing a totally different position in their teams, and at Barca they were caused to play a different postion and role. Which made matters worse
3. Even worse for Silva, he would be totally new here. He is not Spanish, has never played in La liga before, nobody in the team to motivate him except Gomes from the bench

That's why I insist it is more important we get a player that fits exactly what we need.
We need midfield control. Somebody who can hold the midfield down, can keep it stable so that Messi and Neymar don't have to drop down to look for the ball. The ball should be retained in midfield, and made available for them in the final third

Silva is the kind of player who wants to run and join the forwards, instead of a guy who will keep things working in the midfield so that forwards don't have to drop back
Silva is hardworking, but he sure as well has no defensive awareness of a CM.
He thrives in anarchy just like Denis, likes to dribble, try risky passes, lose the ball. We have MSN for that

If we want to add another midfielder we need somebody who will not lose the ball trying to dribble 7 players.
We need the ball to get to MSN first
We need a player who has vision to pickup MSN with nice passes so that they can score/assist not another player to piss Messi off with multiple dribbling attempts and turnovers

For Barca again, every turnover/ lost possession, means a counterattack against us, and hence a goal against our fragile defence\ [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] if you recall well, i forwarded you stats showing how Silva losses the ball a lot.
When in possession he loses it about twice Iniesta does
When trying to dribble he loses it four times Iniesta does
That while playing for Monaco with all the space they are afforded. In Barca, with the buses we face, the number rises even more
This implies up to 6 times more possession lost, 6 times more counterattack chances for opponents, 6 times pressure on Busquets and the defence

serghei

Silva is the kind of player who wants to run and join the forwards, instead of a guy who will keep things working in the midfield so that forwards don't have to drop back
Silva is hardworking, but he sure as well has no defensive awareness of a CM.
He thrives in anarchy just like Denis, likes to dribble, try risky passes, lose the ball. We have MSN for that

If we want to add another midfielder we need somebody who will not lose the ball trying to dribble 7 players.
We need the ball to get to MSN first
We need a player who has vision to pick up MSN with nice passes so that they can score/assist not another player to piss Messi off with multiple dribbling attempts and turnovers

He doesn't run to join the forwards, except when there is an opening. He is moving with the ball and is not scared one bit to hold on to it while pressurized. Which is exactly what we need. Someone who would receive the ball in conditions of pressure, and has the ability to just tame the ball in half a second and do something with it other than passing the responsibility to a teammate like Rakitic and Gomes often do. So, we need a player with a) personality, b) confidence in his ability, c) excellent close ball control, d) good passing skills, e) good work rate. If you watch Bernardo Silva, he is good or even excellent in all these areas.

I disagree that we need to give the ball to MSN and let them handle triple marking at all times. This is the reason we are doing so badly at the moment. We need a midfielder who can be a threat on the ball on his own, not another deferece point to MSN. Right now we have only 2 players who are considered a major threat on the ball. Neymar and Messi. Iniesta used to be that, but he is old now, can't even keep up with the pace of the match anymore. Teams just know that Rakitic and Roberto, for example, aren't extremely creative players, so they let them more open while massively blocking Messi and Suarez, and Neymar as well.

He will not try to dribble 7 players at Barcelona, this is a gross exaggeration. He is excellent at pass & move, excellent at quick dribble and pass sequences, excellent at first touch passing, excellent at exploiting space and excellent at maneuvering the ball under pressure and in confined spaces. Pretty much excellent at everything Rakitic is not great at.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans