Ashley Cole

Jenks

Just like EPL is NBA of football and England are best in the world, eh?

...what?

I'd wager that EC is more prestigious then CL. For one, it's only played once in 4 years and players only have few shots at it (and then that's if their team qualifies).
Also, Chelsea rode their luck from almost every single match of KO stages while Spain outplayed practially everyone on their way and they are hailed best international team in the world. Wonder how many would say that Chelsea are best in Europe?

I never said the Champions League was more prestigious, I said it was of a higher level, which it is. Barcelona and Bayern are better than any side Spain had to beat to win their trophy, and I'm not sure what Chelsea's quality (or lack of) has to do with anything either. In fact if anything, it only makes Cole's achievement more impressive.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
What's his achievement again? LB in a team stumbling on and riding the luck vs. everyone they faced to the trophy. You can find dozen of examples like that. It's not like he did a Maradona either and singlehandedly brought CL to Chelsea. So what's there to marvel at exactly?
Fair play to Chelski, deserved trophy, sure. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
And you didn't answer my question. How many football fans, except Chelsea faithful, would say that Chelsea are the best team in Europe.
Now compare that figure to Spain's on international level.
Also, in 9/10 games, in a hypothetical match, Spain would steamroll over Chelsea.

In the end I am positive that Alba wouldn't trade his EC trophy for CL but I am not so sure about Cole.

Jenks

What's his achievement again?

He was a beast for a relatively weak side that managed to win the Champions League. He put much more of a left-backs performance in for Chelsea than Alba did for Spain. Alba barely had any defending to do, while Cole was under almost constant pressure by comparison.

And you didn't answer my question. How many football fans, except Chelsea faithful, would say that Chelsea are the best team in Europe.
Now compare that figure to Spain's on international level.
Also, in 9/10 games, in a hypothetical match, Spain would steamroll over Chelsea.

Um... what does this have to do with the topic at hand? I didn't answer the question because it's completely irrelevant. The answer is no one. No one would say Chelsea are the best side in Europe, but why you would bring that up I'm not sure. It only weakens your argument, if anything.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It goes to show how this years CL Champion would get a beating from EC champion. Since you started the comparison talk, you should understand the relation.
And lol @ "Alba barely had anything to do". He was easily the best LB in EC and scored a goal in final.

Jenks

It goes to show how this years CL Champion would get a beating from EC champion. Since you started the comparison talk, you should understand the relation.

No, I don't understand the relation. The quality of Spain compared to the quality of Chelsea has little to do with the comparison between Alba and Cole, and what little it does suggest doesn't help your argument one bit. If anything it makes what Cole achieved more impressive, as it's much harder to win things in a weaker side than it is in possibly the strongest national side in history.

And lol @ "Alba barely had anything to do". He was easily the best LB in EC and scored a goal in final.

I never said Alba barely had anything to do, you're misrepresenting what I've said again. What I said was that he had comparatively very little defending to do, which is true.

Maria

He was a beast for a relatively weak side that managed to win the Champions League. He put much more of a left-backs performance in for Chelsea than Alba did for Spain. Alba barely had any defending to do, while Cole was under almost constant pressure by comparison.

:lol:

I understand that Alba is still far from having Cole's career and although I think that the spaniard was the best LB this year(and so does ZM, by the way), everyone is untitled to their opinion. But to say that he didn't had any deffending to do(especially against Portugal, when he faced Nani and Cristiano) or that he wasn't important for Spain when at times he was the only player who gave them verticality(being next to Ramos and Iniesta, one of Spain's best player) is quite laughable.

No, I don't understand the relation. The quality of Spain compared to the quality of Chelsea has little to do with the comparison between Alba and Cole, and what little it does suggest doesn't help your argument one bit. If anything it makes what Cole achieved more impressive, as it's much harder to win things in a weaker side than it is in possibly the strongest national side in history.

For that simple reason Drogba is better than Cristiano or Messi..

Jenks

:lol:

I understand that Alba is still far from having Cole's career and although I think that the spaniard was the best LB this year(and so does ZM, by the way), everyone is untitled to their opinion. But to say that he didn't had any deffending to do(especially against Portugal, when he faced Nani and Cristiano) or that he wasn't important for Spain when at times he was the only player who gave them verticality(being next to Ramos and Iniesta, one of Spain's best player) is quite laughable.

"by comparison"

Think of how much pressure the Chelsea defence was under compared to Spain over this tournament.

pawanme10

"by comparison"

Think of how much pressure the Chelsea defence was under compared to Spain over this tournament.

Chelsea's defense had relatively less pressure compared to Barça's because Chelsea had 2 lines of defense and Drogba was forward.
Plus, there was no real 'skill' in what they did. It was like 'You come near me, I push you off the ball and kick at your legs' type of football.
When was the last time that Ashley Cole made a vertical run splitting the Centre backs and finished past a top class keeper? Its not a prerequisite for a left back but this is a bonus point were Alba scores.

Jenks

Chelsea's defense had relatively less pressure compared to Barça's because Chelsea had 2 lines of defense and Drogba was forward.
Plus, there was no real 'skill' in what they did. It was like 'You come near me, I push you off the ball and kick at your legs' type of football.
When was the last time that Ashley Cole made a vertical run splitting the Centre backs and finished past a top class keeper? Its not a prerequisite for a left back but this is a bonus point were Alba scores.

Without a doubt it is yes, but the more important part of the job is defending, where Cole is superior. Alba has plenty of time to catch up and even perhaps surpass Cole in that regard, but he isn't there yet.

Last edited:

zanela

Must 've said it before, Cole is one of the few English players i've enjoyed watching. Tactically astute, and unbeatable on his day. Sadly (lethargy, age, team turmoil) has affected his consistency over the years. I don't remember him scoring ala Alba, but i do remember one where he owned the opp. defender and sent a lob over the keeper from an acute angle. His positional awareness, and anticipation is impeccable when he's really bothered. He's usually the one bailing his defence out from several crucial interceptions to goal-line clearances. And he's a solid 1-1 defender. You can argue as to who had the better season, but as things stand, Cole is better than Alba for me. The former has a much more balanced game. Alba can improve further, however.

Home of Barca Fans