Roberto Pereyra (Juventus)
Angel Di Maria (Manchester United)

Forwards:
Ezequiel Lavezzi (PSG)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
Gonzalo Higuaín (Napoli)
Carlos Tevez (Juventus)
Sergio Aguero ( Manchester City)

Players called for the upcoming friendlies against El Salvador and Ecuador. A pretty formidable squad but I would like to see Rulli given a start. It's a real pity Lavezzi and Tevez have been picked ahead of Vietto and Dybala to give them some real confidence to start settling into national team colours and when they are in form.

Some domestic players are yet to be called. Martino likes Banega but in time I hope he gets Kranevitter in ahead of him. Similar player but with a far superior work ethic and innate leadership a la Mascherano.

True Martino might like Banega. However, how can you not like him especially now that he is having probably the form of his career? Have you watched him play recently? I don't know about that Kranevitter guy. Besides, La Liga doesn't even compare to Primera Divison of Argentina, two different worlds, that's why it is more important to perform well in a league like La Liga. Although will likely see him perform on 26th of March in the friendly River Plate vs. Sevilla.

zanela

True Martino might like Banega. However, how can you not like him especially now that he is having probably the form of his career? Have you watched him play recently? I don't know about that Kranevitter guy. Besides, La Liga doesn't even compare to Primera Divison of Argentina, two different worlds, that's why it is more important to perform well in a league like La Liga. Although will likely see him perform on 26th of March in the friendly River Plate vs. Sevilla.

Some players are incapable of translating their club form to the NT. Hence the likes of Tevez and Banega have so far proved to be dispensable. Whilst talented youth in their place would better serve ARG's long term interests.

AURELIUS

Some players are incapable of translating their club form to the NT. Hence the likes of Tevez and Banega have so far proved to be dispensable. Whilst talented youth in their place would better serve ARG's long term interests.

This is the nail hit on the head as always by you Zanela. Banega has hardly ever sparkled for the seleccion along with Tevez. Kranevitter has far more potential longer term than him and indeed is rated by the coaching staff at River on a par with Mascherano.

These sorts of games well before any pre tournament friendlies would have been ideal to get some of the promising kids settled into the national team environment and provide them with an incentive to continue to perform and improve.

Antimilan

I agree that talented youths are better for long term. However, I personally would always go for experience, maturity and skills rather than talent and youth. This Kranevitter guy that Aurelius is mentioning might be good (saw some performances of him on youtube), but I can't see him compared to Banega at the moment. He will be my player to watch in the coming soon friendly.

Besides, Banega never made it to a major tournament except Copa America in 2011 and I think he deserves at least a WC with Argentina.

Vietto deserved a call though.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
Messi is playing on right for Argentina now right? I just hope Aguero turns up for this tournament. If he performs anywhere near the level of WC14 he is dead to me.

CuleLife4Life

When the hell will Mauro Icardi get a chance??

Tevez and Lavezzi need to be permanently dropped if they don't produce anything in Copa America. Lavezzi doesn't even start at PSG unless Lucas is injured.

Did the Wanda thing really blow it for him? I heard the older guys like Masch won't allow him on the squad since Maxi is his friend. And Maradona even said if it were in Argentina, Mauro would get beat it.

Last edited:

AURELIUS

I forgot about them being Argentine. No they aren't called up. But Icardi has been making noise for longer than those 2. If the Argies want a chance in 2018 they need to bring in some of the younger guys in a year or so.

Mancuello (Independiente),Ramiro Funes-Mori (River Plate) and Maxi Rodriguez are also added to the squad. All three are in excellent form. However given the opposition sending in Mammanna, Silva (Lisbon) and adding in a Dybala/Vietto should have been a formality. I was pleased by Rulli's inclusion.

Martino also has doubts about Icardi at the present time perhaps influenced by his man in the dressing room Mascherano.

After losing their first two games in the CONMEBOL u17 Argentina have won the next three including the first in the final hexagonal stage against Brazil. Plenty of talent as usual to keep an eye out for including Matias Roskopf (yet to score) and Tomas Conechny (3), one of German the other Polish heritage.

Here is the winning goal from German Bertarame.

http://peru.com/futbol/la-nueve/sudamericano-sub-17-gol-que-argentina-vence-brasil-noticia-337007

CuleLife4Life

I do believe Icardi is being ignored from the national team for reasons that have nothing to do with football. I just see something in him that tells me he'll be big in a few years. If Argentina want a chance at a trophy, they'll stop putting personal feelings into things and bring him into the fold.

BrazilFan

I do believe Icardi is being ignored from the national team for reasons that have nothing to do with football. I just see something in him that tells me he'll be big in a few years. If Argentina want a chance at a trophy, they'll stop putting personal feelings into things and bring him into the fold.

Can you blamed them? He seem like a locker room cancer waiting to happen.

XaviMessiGirl

He needs to mature and then he'll surely be included. It's not just the Wanda thing either, he has a bit of an attitude problem at times.

Home of Barca Fans