Argentina

Ritchie

Shouldn’t he give the same treatment to Ronaldo then? Instead he is probably the luckiest player of all time.

Ronaldo the luckiest Messi the unluckiest.

For one player to have such consistently rotten luck it's got to be a curse.

Hektor

Lanzini probably would've been huge for them. I like him as a player. Can dribble, combine with Messi, play throughballs, cross well, etc. Really smart player with a lot of energy and good support play for Messi. Probably the only other guy from Messi who I would trust to give the ball in the final third and expect them to create something on their own, Di Maria be damned.

Leo is cursed, to have a blow like this going into the WC already seen as an underdog. We'll see how Argentina do. It's really up to fate and Messi now, too late for preparation and improvement in the supporting cast to make a difference.

Everyone is making too much out of Lanzini. Probably because he plays in the Premier League, which I do not follow. Hell, I only watch all the Barça games, only. Messi and Lanzini did not click that well, either. They only had one game together, Haiti.

Messi and Pavon formed a partnership. Messi said that in Pavon, he found a new partner. In addition, he asked the people in Barcelona to get Pavon to play for Barça. I rather have Dybala play instead of Lanzini. He is the star of Juventus and among the top three players in Italy's Serie A. It is a no-brainer. Sampaoli must be thick, man. The best two players for Argentina are Messi and Dybala!

With the upcoming team, Messi is not alone. That is a myth. Lo Celso and Messi have clicked. He also solved a big problem for Argentina. We need to play Mascherano as the "5." We won't win without him. However, at his age, Mascherano cannot cover the same territory as when he was younger. Therefore, he has to play further back. This allows Mscherano to become the third Central Defender, when attacked. Lo Celso can play a more forward "5" or double pivot. That will allow Lo Celso to go forward when we are attacking.

Mascherano is another partner for Messi. They have been playing together for years. His long and accurate passes enables Argentina to jump lines. His long balls are usually destined for Messi. In addition, Messi and Agüero have been playing together for years. They are natural partners.

Dybala and Messi have not clicked yet, but they can. The problem is that Dybala wants to play like in Juventus and is not willing to change to play Sampaoli's game. He is the big star and all. He got a scare when he thought that Sampa was going to leave him off the team. Dybala's brother made some nasty comments about Sampaoli on Tweeter. He either does what Sampa asks him to do or he won't start. I strongly believe that he will change.

Hektor

Last edited:

MessiTBE

Banned
Messi seem very confident, posing with goats and smiling and walking with confidence. He looks ready. His final ever World Cup.

Tough group. Need to beat Iceland cause the Croatia game will be difficult.

Last edited:

Joan

Everyone is making too much out of Lanzini. Probably because he plays in the Premier League, which I do not follow. Hell, I only watch all the Barça games, only. Messi and Lanzini did not click that well, either. They only had one game together, Haiti.

Messi and Pavon formed a partnership. Messi said that in Pavon, he found a new partner. In addition, he asked the people in Barcelona to get Pavon to play for Barça. I rather have Dybala play instead of Lanzini. He is the star of Juventus and among the top three players in Italy's Serie A. It is a no-brainer. Sampaoli must be thick, man. The best two players for Argentina are Messi and Dybala!

With the upcoming team, Messi is not alone. That is a myth. Lo Celso and Messi have clicked. He also solved a big problem for Argentina. We need to play Mascherano as the "5." We won't win without him. However, at his age, Mascherano cannot cover the same territory as when he was younger. Therefore, he has to play further back. This allows Mscherano to become the third Central Defender, when attacked. Lo Celso can play a more forward "5" or double pivot. That will allow Lo Celso to go forward when we are attacking.

Mascherano is another partner for Messi. They have been playing together for years. His long and accurate passes enables Argentina to jump lines. His long balls are usually destined for Messi. In addition, Messi and Agüero have been playing together for years. They are natural partners.

Dybala and Messi have not clicked yet, but they can. The problem is that Dybala wants to play like in Juventus and is not willing to change to play Sampaoli's game. He is the big star and all. He got a scare when he thought that Sampa was going to leave him off the team. Dybala's brother made some nasty comments about Sampaoli on Tweeter. He either does what Sampa asks him to do or he won't start. I strongly believe that he will change.

Hektor

I don't quite get you. You want Dybala to replace Lanzini? Dybala is no midfielder for that to work you need a different setup. How do you see it?

Hektor

I don't quite get you. You want Dybala to replace Lanzini? Dybala is no midfielder for that to work you need a different setup. How do you see it?

Dybala is a midfielder. He can play any midfielder position except as a "5." The main reason he is part of the 23 is to replace Messi if Leo gets hurt. In Juventus, Dybala is the "10" or creative midfielder. Actually, I believe he wears No "10."

Enzo Perez will replace Lanzini on the team. It is official. He will join the team in Russia.

Hektor

Joan

Dybala is a midfielder. He can play any midfielder position except as a "5." The main reason he is part of the 23 is to replace Messi if Leo gets hurt. In Juventus, Dybala is the "10" or creative midfielder. Actually, I believe he wears No "10."

Enzo Perez will replace Lanzini on the team. It is official. He will join the team in Russia.

Hektor

He's a trequartista, classic advanced playmaker. He can probably play anywhere in the final third, not equally good, but not in the midfield.

Allegri experimented playing him deeper but it doesn't work. Thus you don't get best of him.

Hektor

He's a trequartista, classic advanced playmaker. He can probably play anywhere in the final third, not equally good, but not in the midfield.

Allegri experimented playing him deeper but it doesn't work. Thus you don't get best of him.

Dybala is a midfielder by trade. I have no idea what Allegri tried to do with him. Argentina will not play a 4-4-2 formation where the middle 4 is more like a 1-2-1. Dybala best position is the forward 1 or creative midfielder Argentina will play more like a 4-3-3 with a double "5" or double pivot with Mascherano playing further back and Lo Celso a bit more forward. Dybala can play a bit forward of Lo Celso. However, he will have to fall back to play defense. That is a minor adjustment. For example, in Barça the midfield was Busquets, Rakitic, and Iniesta. Iniesta played forward of both Busquets and Rakitic. He did come back to play defense, though. In other words, he will play the Iniesta position.. Iniesta played the right and left side. I strongly believe that Dybala can play that position very well. You mean to tell me that Dybala cannot handle that. Furthermore, Messi does not play that forward either. He starts behind the front two and then dribbles forward.

You have to start the second best player in Argentina.No to do so is crazy. With Messi and Dybala, you cannot collapse the defenses around Messi. That will leave Dybala open and he will destroy the opposing team. If they manage to contain both, that will leave Pavon and/or Agüero open.They cannot guard everyone, because they have to double-team both Messi and Dybala.

Now they are talking of starting Meza for Lanzini. I give up! Without Dybala in he starting lineup, we are not going anywhere.

PS: There is a vey fine line between the 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 formations. The only difference are the type of players used. in the 4-4-2 or the middle 4 being 1-2-1, the back 1 is a typical "5," the forward 1 is the "10," and the middle 2 are what we call carrileros. I do not know the translation. In a 4-3-3, the middle 3, are the Barça type of midfield players.

Hektor

Last edited:

Joan

Dybala is a midfielder by trade. I have no idea what Allegri tried to do with him. Argentina will not play a 4-4-2 formation where the middle 4 is more like a 1-2-1. Dybala best position is the forward 1 or creative midfielder Argentina will play more like a 4-3-3 with a double "5" or double pivot with Mascherano playing further back and Lo Celso a bit more forward. Dybala can play a bit forward of Lo Celso. However, he will have to fall back to play defense. That is a minor adjustment. For example, in Barça the midfield was Busquets, Rakitic, and Iniesta. Iniesta played forward of both Busquets and Rakitic. He did come back to play defense, though. In other words, he will play the Iniesta position.. Iniesta played the right and left side. I strongly believe that Dybala can play that position very well. You mean to tell me that Dybala cannot handle that. Furthermore, Messi does not play that forward either. He starts behind the front two and then dribbles forward.

You have to start the second best player in Argentina.No to do so is crazy. With Messi and Dybala, you cannot collapse the defenses around Messi. That will leave Dybala open and he will destroy the opposing team. If they manage to contain both, that will leave Pavon and/or Agüero open.They cannot guard everyone, because they have to double-team both Messi and Dybala.

Now they are talking of starting Meza for Lanzini. I give up! Without Dybala in he starting lineup, we are not going anywhere.

Hektor, you are an optimist.

Iniesta's role is such a profound one, played by a brilliant player who was working at both ends. Sticking Dybala there is not right because it limits 1) your team with no functioning midfield 2) Dybala, not playing to his strengths.

It might work, but obviously Sampaoli doesn't believe so since he didn't even try it. The only position I can see Dybala play with Messi on the pitch is the RW. That said, I don't understand why they didn't try it in matches. Weird since these 2 are Argentina's best players.

PS: There is a vey fine line between the 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 formations. The only difference are the type of players used. in the 4-4-2 or the middle 4 being 1-2-1, the back 1 is a typical "5," the forward 1 is the "10," and the middle 2 are what we call carrileros. I do not know the translation. In a 4-3-3 it is the Barça type of players.

Hektor

There are different 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 formations. You talk about 4-4-2 with a diamond in the midfield. We have to wait and see what Jorge has come up with,

JamDav1982

Lanzini is a big miss for Argentina.

One of the few that looked like could be involved in the way Messi likes to play and have technique to keep up.

Banega is shite and would barely be missed.

Dybala has never been a midfielder.

Hektor

Dybala has never been a midfielder. Not at Palermo and not at Juventus.

What is him? A forward? If he is a forward, why did Sampaoli bring Dybala to sub for Messi, if Leo gets hurt? All commentators, reporters, and TV football experts agree with the reason of Dybala being on the team. I'm not the only one saying it. Therefore, what is the reason of having Dybala on the team if he is not going to start. If he is a forward, why doesn't he play instead of Higuain? No one is calling for that, not even you.

Dybala is the typical Argentine creative midfielder. The problem with your assertion is that in Europe most teams have gone away playing with creative midfielders or 10's. The ball has to get to the 10 before he can distribute the ball. If you collapse the defenses around the 10, how can you get the ball to him, in the first place. That is the problem of depending on a 10. It is not that difficult to defend against We depend on Messi to distribute the ball and thus creating the plays. However, if they surround him, they will prevent Messi from getting the ball. That is why Messi seems not to have any partners. That is also why you see Messi, playing for Argentina, coming all the way back to get the ball getting away from the asphyxiating defense. Lanzini or no Lanzini, if they collapse the defenses around Messi, same results. That is the reason for Dybala to relieve the defensive pressure from Messi. Otherwise, we are back to the same old story - Messi has no partners!

Lanzini played with Messi only one game - Haiti. Actually 1/2 a game. Banega replaced him in the second half. How can we draw any conclusions from the Haiti game? They had a very bad defense. In the World Cup, all the defenses are going to be better than Haiti - the 108th rated team.

I agree in one thing. If Meza replaces Lanzini, as it is rumored, then the loss of Lanzini is a big one. Meza is no Lanzini.

Hektor

Home of Barca Fans