Antoine Griezmann

SeloBarca

I dont blame Griezmann
Hes playing way out of position
I dont know what Barcelona was thinking getting him and put on LW spot..
There are better LWs we could have gotten.

YodaMaster

It was a dumb move to buy Griezmann given the shit context at the club.

But if there was no club de amigos and if Barça had a creative coach, an innovator, he’d have found a way to fit Griezmann.

Even now, something like the below lineup would allow Griezmann to perform

Suarez Griez
Messi
Alba FDJ Vidal Perez
Umtiti Pique Todibo

With Alba and Perez occupying flanks in attacking scenarios. And Griezmann dropping deep in defensive scenarios. Messi and Griezmann would both be near their favorite areas, and Messi would still be happy cause his BFF Suarez would still be on the pitch.

Truth is Valverde would never try something like that, he’s too narrow minded. And it leaves important players on the bench (Arthur, Dembélé, Busquets, Semedo, Lenglet) and a guy like Arthur doesn’t deserve that. He’s Barça’s best player this season thus far.

The question would be: is Griezmann worth all those compromises ?
Well ask the board which went and spent 120 millions on the dude.
I think Griezmann wasn’t a necessity, and that it’s too complicated to find a place for him here atm.

Important thing though: Griezmann came at Barca as a relatively young & proven world class player unlike Coutinho (who played for EL level teams previously) and Dembélé (who’s still a kid). There’s less risk buying Griezmann than those guys. But of course if you buy the guy without having a clear idea of how you’ll fit him here, even he might end up as a flop.

Last edited:

gasgas

I remember when i was against signing him and Neymar, and people went, "if Griezmann is available at that price, you go for him"

See how well that worked for us :facepalm:

Barcilliant

I remember when i was against signing him and Neymar, and people went, "if Griezmann is available at that price, you go for him"

See how well that worked for us :facepalm:

Me too. I think moving him to midfield would be good. De Jong and Arthur with him would be interesting.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Not saying Valverde has no responsibility, but you can't simply compare Ajax's attacking trio to anything else. That's merely simplifying it.

Some has the qualities to play different strong roles, as of the case of young bloods, who can literally dribble, score, skill, and are dynamic as hell. However, Griezmann is already reaching a stage where he is more comfortable in his own positions like Suarez and Messi who are also reaching an age. If you try to develop these old players into something different it can be certainly be quite a tough thing to do.

I have said many times, the solution is to develop Fati and Dembele and possibly have Messi in his remaining years. Get a new manager, not old star players who are worth 100s of millions.

Don't get me wrong If It was up to me I would have used that money to get Son. But now that Barca has bought him already not much can be done.

All I'm saying is that Griezmann could play alot better and maybe look pretty good if there was a proper system and if there was some actual effort done to fit him in and not shove him LW time and time again and expecting a different outcome. Btw Tadic came at the age 28 years to Ajax as a LW , but because he actually has a competent manager , he adapted to that false nine role beautifully.

But as you and Yodamaster said ultimately it would have been better to buy an LW and be done it.

BBZ8800

Watch Dusan Tadic tearing it up for Ajax.

1. If you are comparing a player by player:
1) Tadic is somewhat fast and can run past his opponents, Griezmann can't
2) Tadic can dribble, Griezmann can't
3) Tadic is 1,81 and can offer more physical and aerial presence in a box. Griezmann is built like a 13 years old for a No9
4) Griezmann isn't a lethal finisher at all
5) only things which Griezmann can do are: link up play, defending and workrate

Regarding Griezmann, there is an also chance for "Atletico's effect" where every majority of midfield and attacking players from Atletico look better playing for Atletico than in new clubs or NT teams.

2. That was an individual player vs player level.
Regarding a team, Ajax, they again have (a good manager, a good system, a lot of young and motivated players, but also): Tadic as a CF, two wingers around him and Donny behind him.
That means: even if Tadic will struggle with scoring, they will have 3 other finishers to step in.

Barca?
If you bench Suarez and play Dembele-Griezz-Messi, what do we have?
Messi can score.
Griezmann will score once in 3-4 matches.
Dembele is hot and cold.
If you add Busi-Arthur-Frenkie midfield without a CAM, we are even in bigger problems in terms of scoring if Messi gets injured or gets heavily marked.

Griezz seems like a good guy and a very good player for counterattacking teams as a deep lying-creator-second striker.

For our team, who plays a slow possession around the box, he is a horrible LW, and for a CF, his skills and numbers are way too low for us to rely on him and to consistently win matches.

Another mistake by Barto and his team of sporting directors.

Last edited:

raedkuwait

1. If you are comparing a player by player:
1) Tadic is somewhat fast and can run past his opponents, Griezmann can't
2) Tadic can dribble, Griezmann can't
3) Tadic is 1,81 and can offer more physical and aerial presence in a box. Griezmann is built like a 13 years old for a No9
4) Griezmann isn't a lethal finisher at all
5) only things which Griezmann can do are: link up play, defending and workrate

Regarding Griezmann, there is an also chance for "Atletico's effect" where every majority of midfield and attacking players from Atletico look better playing for Atletico than in new clubs or NT teams.

2. That was an individual player vs player level.
Regarding a team, Ajax, they again have (a good manager, a good system, a lot of young and motivated players, but also): Tadic as a CF, two wingers around him and Donny behind him.
That means: even if Tadic will struggle with scoring, they will have 3 other finishers to step in.

Barca?
If you bench Suarez and play Dembele-Griezz-Messi, what do we have?
Messi can score.
Griezmann will score once in 3-4 matches.
Dembele is hot and cold.
If you add Busi-Arthur-Frenkie midfield without a CAM, we are even in bigger problems in terms of scoring if Messi gets injured or gets heavily marked.

Griezz seems like a good guy and a very good player for counterattacking teams as a deep lying-creator-second striker.

For our team, who plays a slow possession around the box, he is a horrible LW, and for a CF, his skills and numbers are way too low for us to rely on him and to consistently win matches.

Another mistake by Barto and his team of sporting directors.

how did u come to the conclusion that Griezman will score once in 3-4 matches, if he was
never tried with messi?!!! I am betting he will score more than suarez, suarez is scoring once
in like 6 matches, and he never ever scores in an away match against good team.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I wonder how much of the internal divide between board & players is linked to Griezmann, especially in the context of Griezz>>Neymar. Antoine is a great player, no question for me, but in terms of fit there was never any doubt that it would be difficult to fit him into the current lineup - I continue to struggle to understand the logic there unless it was intended to replace Luis Suarez.

Our sporting direction is piss poor but that is not revelatory. Question now really is how to get a consistently functioning attack because we look woeful without true wingers to stretch the pitch. I am certain had Perez started on the right, it would've affected the match dramatically in the 1st half. That first half was an abomination, among the most static Barcelona sides I can recall in all the time I have followed the club

Someone described it well before but the play can simply be described as poverty under Valverde

EdmondDantes

Antoine is doing worse than Coutinho. With each passing game his influence diminishes.

Too static, scared and submissive to Messi's presence.

With Luis, Messi, Griezmann on the pitch out whole team suffers, there's no movement for our midfield to pass to, and zero cover to our defense.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Well, I am not sure I would say worse than Coutinho since Griezmann actually presses and works for the team better than Coutinho - similarly, however, they are played out of position largely

EdmondDantes

Well, I am not sure I would say worse than Coutinho since Griezmann actually presses and works for the team better than Coutinho - similarly, however, they are played out of position largely

Agreed but even his pressing has been dwindling game after game. His passing isn't as crisp as it was, I think his confidence is shot.

Home of Barca Fans