André Gomes

PhilS

Gomes does not look like a Barca player. Those flashes are not enough. Send him off to somewhere where he will fit in better.

Of course, Paco needs to go, too. The team did very well with acquisitions last summer, Umtiti and Denis will be Barca starters for many years to come, Digne helps the team, Cillessen looks good enough. Every year, the team needs to recycle about half the bench, at least Gomes and Paco should bring good money.

serghei

Gomes is proven to be average in La Liga. Nothing special. How can you say he was a star based on the games you saw him play prior to signing for us? He is a star in the mind of his well connected agent, thats all, and that means big money moves.

Isco was ten times the player for Malaga than Gomes was for Valencia. The "type of transfer" similarity ends with their age.

Not true on both accounts. I've seen Gomes play for Valencia in the season before we signed him. He was one of their best players. As for Isco, he's not 10 times better than Gomes. Not then, not now and not ever. The season Gomes had at Valencia was enough to convince Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Juventus to sign him. So, he is not a proven average player. That is nothing more than trash-talking about a player you don't like at all.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Umtiti and Denis will be Barca starters for many years to come

Squad player, yes.
A starter? Only if he'll improve insanely in upcoming years or if we will drop a level of our required quality even more.

Not true on both accounts. I've seen Gomes play for Valencia in the season before we signed him. He was one of their best players. As for Isco, he's not 10 times better than Gomes. Not then, not now and not ever. The season Gomes had at Valencia was enough to convince Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Juventus to sign him. So, he is not a proven average player. That is nothing more than trash-talking about a player you don't like at all.

If I remember, Isco also wasn't too good in his first season in Real.
Some would say that he isn't that good even now, so it is is hard to say that Isco from then or now is that much better than Gomes.

About Gomes, once when he'll fit, I think that he can do more or less everything what Rakitic has been doing for us in 2014/15 and 2015/16, except scoring.
Rakitic is way better in that area.

On the other hand, Gomes has a way better stamina and can play more than Rakitic who was always a player with the weakest stamina in our team.

Imo, he plays the best when he is a hard-working Rcm, the same as Raki.
Gomes is not a new Iniesta.
He plays well when he has a creative player alongside him.

Iniesta-Gomes-Busi can work.
Denis-Gomes-Busi can work.
Rafinha-Gomes-Busi could work.
Arda-Gomes-Busi might work, even though we may lack some movement here.

Rakitic-Gomes-Busi will never work, this is the slowest and the strangest midfield combination for our team.
The same as how Iniesta-Denis or Iniesta-Rafinha also never works, from different reasons (2 Cams).

Last matches from Gomes:
Las Palmas 5:0 (Rafinha-Gomes-Busi)
-- he played with a Cam alongside him
Osasuna 3:0, Iniesta-Gomes-Busi
-- he played well again
MGladbach 4:0
-- he played as a Cdm

Real 1:1
-- Raki-Gomes-Busi
-- an absolute horror show from our midfield before Iniesta stepped in
Sociedad 1:1 in La Liga
-- Rakitic-Gomes-Busi
-- another horror show with this trio in midfield, oh surprise, surprise, who was have predicted that, lol?

The only poor game with Gomes+Cam lately:
-- Villareal 1:1 in La Liga
-- Iniesta-Busi-Gomes

So, for the beginning, about Gomes, he should NEVER play alongside Rakitic, that is a midfield with 2 workers, without zero Cams and our team lacks movement and build up with those two as a pair.
So, lineups with Iniesta-Denis, Iniesta-Rafinha and Rakitic-Gomes pairings should be forbidden.

When he was a Rcm with a Cam alongside him, he was usually ok.
The problem is that Lucho:
1. pairs him with a Cam in a few matches
2. then pairs him with Rakitic in a few matches, and that is a totally different system than Gomes+Cam, so he is lost again since he doesn't have a clue who should be a Cam and who should be a worker in that system
3. after that, he is also used as a Cdm often, which is a totally different position and duties for him

He is a new guy, he needs to adjust to a system, but Lucho makes too many changes in our lineup and change position of some players, so that should be considered also.

About Gomes:
1. him as a CAM=he doesn't look like Barca's material
2. him as a workhorse Rcm=he looks like Barca's future starter material at that position (paired with a CAM)
3. him as a Cdm=hard to tell

I would like to see more from Gomes ONLY at Rcm position. I see him as "next Rakitic" type of a player for upcoming years.
Not as a new Iniesta or as a new Busi.

** I won't look at Cdr matches

Last edited:

Potroh

On the other hand, Gomes has a way better stamina and can play more than Rakitic who was always a player with the weakest stamina in our team.

Please look up the statistics of the last two years and you will find that Rakitic has been the player running the MOST per game in the entire team!
Thus you concept of stamina is nothing but a proven misconception.

Last edited:
Gomes does not look like a Barca player. Those flashes are not enough. Send him off to somewhere where he will fit in better.

Of course, Paco needs to go, too. The team did very well with acquisitions last summer, Umtiti and Denis will be Barca starters for many years to come, Digne helps the team, Cillessen looks good enough. Every year, the team needs to recycle about half the bench, at least Gomes and Paco should bring good money.

I don't understand. Gomes is much closer to Barcelona's style than Denis will ever be. Gomes is a player for Cruyff, Denis is not! Honestly, look at what a Barca controller needs to be: technical, cerebral, Gomes has everything and has just the right height

Total-Football

2 entire minutes left, neymar at his left , messi at his right .. decides to shoot from 40 meters, with his weak leg mind you .. get the fuck outta here

Last edited:

Cool

Not really, Betis parked the bus after the first goal which allowed us to takeover the midfield so that gave Gomes and others a bit of time to look for a pass instead of the first half and the majority of the second half before we conceded, in that frame of time Betis pressed us out of the pitch and clearly our midfielders struggled.

Plus, every ball Stegan sent was quickly lost so the ball was almost all the time between Betis players legs.

Just my two cents. We should be happy with the draw and tip our hats to Stegan for keeping us alive in the game, yeah, we were robbed of that one goal, thats refeering for you in Spanish football.

BBZ8800

Please look up the statistics of the last two years and you will find that Rakitic has been the player running the MOST per game in the entire team!
Thus you concept of stamina is nothing but a proven misconception.

Ok.

If available, I would like to see a stat with Rakitic's kms during the last 3 years.

For example: 10 kms per match in 2014/15
9 kms per match in 2015/16
8 kms per match in 2016/17

Even though, since he usually plays 60 minutes, I would like to see whether Rakitic from 2017' can run the same amount over 60 minutes as Rakitic from 2015'.

So, it is not about comparing Rakitic with other teammates (Messi, L. Suarez, Cbs, Busi etc who usually run less), but comparing Rakitic with himself to check whether HIS Level of kms has dropped.

Jombi

Valencia was garbage and he didnt show anything other than being an average player in his time at Valencia. The fact that you compare him to Isco is totally absurd, and suggest you didnt watch these players prior to their move. Gomes' agent is very good at selling his clients around the world. It has nothing to do with Gomes' quality. To just judge players based on who they are linked to is asinine. Agents have a huge influence in which clubs they are linked to.

Gomes is totally average, never Barca quality. Not at Valencia, not now, and never will be.

Richard.H

I don't understand. Gomes is much closer to Barcelona's style than Denis will ever be. Gomes is a player for Cruyff, Denis is not! Honestly, look at what a Barca controller needs to be: technical, cerebral, Gomes has everything and has just the right height

There are MANY players in La Liga that are good technically. He doesn't bring anything special to the team. Denis is like a midfield Pedro-light.

SeloBarca

Many better young players then both Denis and Gomes we shoulda have looked into instead.
Kimmich, Pulisic, Renato, Lemar, Weigl.

Home of Barca Fans