9 - Samuel Eto'o

V

VaVaVoom

I agree about Torres and Benzema. If I could choose any striker to come to United I'd pick Torres..... he's gold!

Ruud was the man, his goal ratio is unreal. Huntelaar has a good record at Madrid and can't get a game, would he be worth a shot? Very Ruud like IMO.

Warik

I like to imagine the 'real' Ronaldo of back in 96-97, 47 goals in 49 games for us back then, imagine him now...That Ronaldo at his skinny best playing in this team would of been scary.

maz

I walk the line
Turned 29 a couple of weeks ago if i'm not mistaken? Good young stikers are pretty hard to come by nowadays ... Torres, Llorente , Benzema too but he isn't good enough yet, he was exposed when he played us, couldn't beat the offside trap once. I'd happily take Tevez, but the idea of someone like Ruud, one-chance-one-goal type players would be unbelievable in this current team. And as for his Liga record, yeah he's close but when he set the record he was playing in a worse team and was imo the best striker in the world. His goal against Panathaikos was my favourite Barca goal ever :cool:

But how well would ruud do in a mobile front 3 at club level?

Not to mention the reason eto'o has so many chances is because he stretches defenders. People say if we had any decent striker he'd score as many as eto'o...but would we have created as many chances had eto'o not been in the side? His finishing is awful, but his workrate is still up there with the likes of rooney and tévez.

aRegularAce

I guess Eto'o's goal tally this season proves that stats can be deceptive. He's scored a lot, yes, but I think any decent striker could've scored as many, playing in this Barca team this season.

He takes far too many touches, he wastes chance after chance and he's been MIA in most of the big games this season.

I can't actually remember the last game I thought he played well in.

exactly what i was thinking lol...

V

VaVaVoom

I guess Eto'o's goal tally this season proves that stats can be deceptive. He's scored a lot, yes, but I think any decent striker could've scored as many, playing in this Barca team this season.

He takes far too many touches, he wastes chance after chance and he's been MIA in most of the big games this season.

I can't actually remember the last game I thought he played well in.

Why don't Pep drop him, just to show Eto'o that nobodies place is safe.... give him a kick up the arse in other words.

V

Valon

Eto'o's problem sometimes is that he seems to do 1 step more than he should. Sometimes he's in a very good position to score but he chooses that instead of shooting he tries to beat the defender thus losing the ball. I've noticed that a lot.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Why don't Pep drop him, just to show Eto'o that nobodies place is safe.... give him a kick up the arse in other words.

1. he works hard when on the pitch
2. he doesn't respond to kicks up the arse, he just sits next to pep all game asking to come on
3. dropping eto'o would mean playing bojan
4. when bojan starts, bojan scores
5. when bojan scores, catalunya goes fucking apeshit for "the catalan raul"
6. tags like "the catalan raul" will only add pressure and impede bojan's development
7. pep doesn't want that to happen, so eto'o starts lots

Warik

1. he works hard when on the pitch
2. he doesn't respond to kicks up the arse, he just sits next to pep all game asking to come on
3. dropping eto'o would mean playing bojan
4. when bojan starts, bojan scores
5. when bojan scores, catalunya goes fucking apeshit for "the catalan raul"
6. tags like "the catalan raul" will only add pressure and impede bojan's development
7. pep doesn't want that to happen, so eto'o starts lots

Pretty much yeah...

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
But how well would ruud do in a mobile front 3 at club level?

Not to mention the reason eto'o has so many chances is because he stretches defenders. People say if we had any decent striker he'd score as many as eto'o...but would we have created as many chances had eto'o not been in the side? His finishing is awful, but his workrate is still up there with the likes of rooney and tévez.

I think we definately would have created just as much, the team's been playing fantastically. Thing is, you say he helps stretch the play and track back and it's true, never once or ever will I knock his effort or workrate, but he's out number 9, our goalscorer, there's no point in creating 35 chances per game if the player supposed to capitalise on them doesn't. We're lucky to have such a multitalented squad that someone usually does the business. Players like you mentioned, Rooney and Tevez, manage to combine this incredible work rate/stamina with good finishing. Guys like them and Torres and Villa are very capable dribblers and could do the job that Eto'o does too.

Last edited:

maz

I walk the line
Im not defending his finishing at all this season. Its been nothing short of shocking. But its not as simple as replacing him with a striker who has had a good season in terms of goals and say we would have scored 40 more goals.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Ok i'll give you that, maybe I should have worded it differently. But you can't deny there are players out there that can do the job much better for us?

maz

I walk the line
I dont know. If he leaves (which he should) we would replace him with someone that can finish much better. E.g. villa. But telling players to track back is one thing..them actually doing it is another. We are fortunate that henry has really taken on that role. Im so fucking happy with what titi has moulded himself into in terms of being a team player. There is the stat that our forwards have committed more fouls than our defenders? Or more fouls have been committed by our players in the opposition's half. Something like that. Eto'o and titi are a big part of that. Now would bringing in someone like villa affect that? Dont forget henry feeds off eto'o's workrate. Eto'o showed him what it means to sacrifice yourself for the team...but that by doing so you end up being rewarded. Would villa in term feed off henry's workrate? I dont know. Eto'o gives alot of venom to our front 3 in terms of pressuring and winning the ball back.

We have to hope whoever we bring in develops a good workrate.

E

Esteve

I dont know. If he leaves (which he should) we would replace him with someone that can finish much better. E.g. villa. But telling players to track back is one thing..them actually doing it is another. We are fortunate that henry has really taken on that role. Im so fucking happy with what titi has moulded himself into in terms of being a team player. There is the stat that our forwards have committed more fouls than our defenders? Or more fouls have been committed by our players in the opposition's half. Something like that. Eto'o and titi are a big part of that. Now would bringing in someone like villa affect that? Dont forget henry feeds off eto'o's workrate. Eto'o showed him what it means to sacrifice yourself for the team...but that by doing so you end up being rewarded. Would villa in term feed off henry's workrate? I dont know. Eto'o gives alot of venom to our front 3 in terms of pressuring and winning the ball back.

We have to hope whoever we bring in develops a good workrate.

Yeah, I heard something like that. I think it's something like our 3 men up front have commited more fouls than our CBs.....

Home of Barca Fans