9 - Robert Lewandowski

I watched the entire 90+10 minutes of Real Madrid vs Girona: 1:1
It is absolutely true proposition that FC Barcelona is a contender for La Liga Championship. Disregarding all the spoiled brats on this forum and the chronic malcontents, I must say that I am able to observe there is actually a discernible spirit in this Barcelona team, and it was something worth noticing after the yesterday's last moment win. I'd like to think that it was a symbolic win. I don't see this in Real, neither did I see it in Bayern after Hansi Flick left them to manage German National team. FC Bayern might have won the group and advanced to knock out stages but don't be surprised to see them eliminated with the likes of Inter, Napoli or Benfica....they lack the spirit. Why do you think Robert left them?!
Rebuilding of the greatness of a team is a long process. Longer than one or two seasons. Look at Liverpool, it took Klopp a few seasons to restore the greatness, and more than one shot at the CL to win it. Look at Manchester City - one could even argue that with their potential and financial might, they are nothing else but underachievers. I am thinking that by the time Lewandowski turns 36-37, Barcelona will be again a main CL contender. You just have to let Xavi do his project and put his long term vision to reality.

I am thrilled about this season to be a two team race in La Liga, where any little stumble - like Real's with Girona today - is of significance. You can't say that Lewandowski's goals don't matter in the large scheme of things.

Last edited:

fergus90

Another one that is over played is Messi 'dragging' Barca to CL semi where were beaten by Liverpool in 2019.

Barca in groups beat Inter and drew away to them without Messi and beat Real 5-1 without Messi around that time also.

They then beat Lyon in last 16 and a poor Man Utd side in QF... There was no real 'dragging' there even if he did play well at home to Lyon and Man Utd Barca were heavy favs to go through and had by far better side.

Happens on both sides though whetherit be Messi or Ronaldo being discussed.

The problem is though, who's scoring the goals outside of Messi on a regular basis in 18/19 because no one else did with much regularity.

Another - often omitted - aspect of Lewandowski's attributes as an asset is his immunity to injuries. It really would take a colossal act of violence to have him knocked down and unable to play for any longer than two games. While at Germany, mind you his 12 years - it happened only twice at Bayern when was absent from games for a couple of weeks. This is very unique to stay that fit for pretty much the entire career. There are only a few players, that a team depends on, who can almost guarantee their readiness throughout the whole season. Haaland and Benzema, in that regard, are feeble dolls, if compared to Lewandowski. Those two health stabilities are not assets for their respective teams but liabilities. I am confident that the race for the Golden Boot this 22/23 season is going to be between Lewandowski and Haaland where Lewandowski will presevere the contest by the very virtue of his physical unbreakability and goal scoring consistency.

And Benzema....he can only be jealous and angry at Robert's arrival to Catalonia and stealing his show.

Last edited:
Another phenomenon that is worth noticing is that so far this season - La Liga and CL - Barcelona was not yet awarded a single penalty kick.
By the 12th round in Bundesliga, Lewandowski would have shot at least 5 or 6 goals from PK. I hope a PK will be available to him before the World Cup, so that his unquestionable efficiency of turning PKs into goals can be preserved.

Yep....
I am so excited and happy after yesterday's win, secured by Lewandowski - mind you. That today's Sunday feels so good.

Benzema might have won Ballon'...whatever. But it is Robert Lewandowski running the show in La Liga theater now.

Another phenomenon that is worth noticing is that so far this season - La Liga and CL - Barcelona was not yet awarded a single penalty kick.
By the 12th round in Bundesliga, Lewandowski would have shot at least 5 or 6 goals from PK. I hope a PK will be available to him before the World Cup, so that his unquestionable efficiency of turning PKs into goals can be preserved.

He would? Lewandowski had 5 penalties in 34! matches last season. Until MD 12 he had 12 non-penalty goals and 2 penalties.

It was not really different the seasons before - usually it is 5 or 6 penalties a season Bayern gets rewarded in the Bundesliga.

vuji_31

We don't have dribblers, tottaly opposite from 2015 when we got a lot of penalties on Neymar Suarez and Messi

JamDav1982

The problem is though, who's scoring the goals outside of Messi on a regular basis in 18/19 because no one else did with much regularity.

Messi was the main man. Doesnt mean he was dragging the team though and it ignores the defensive side when keep clean sheets and defend well in those other games.

As said Barca beat Real 5-1 without Messi that season and scored home and away to Inter without him in groups as took 4 points.

Messi was not dragging a poor team through that CL.

Last edited:

Temptation

RL9 has already been denied 4 or 5 pens this season. If he had them he'd basically have Haaland's current stats despite playing in a much weaker squad and under a much weaker manager. Simply the greatest.

Home of Barca Fans