9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
The penalty was historic for sure but I just realized if Suarez dummied it and left it for Neymar it would have truly been one of the greatest ever.

F

Flavia

And that's why the goal shouldn't have counted

All penalties would need to be taken again, then. I see players do that every time... Refs only call to be taken again when it's really an invasion of the box. Never saw one call it because a player stepped on the circle.

footyfan

Calma, calma
All penalties would need to be taken again, then. I see players do that every time... Refs only call to be taken again when it's really an invasion of the box. Never saw one call it because a player stepped on the circle.

It doesn't happen nearly as often as you're suggesting. Also, in most penalties, the players crossing the D before the penalty is hit do not affect the penalty in any way - that could be why refs are lenient. Not in today's case, here Suarez is at an advantage because he was inside the D. So yeah, it shouldn't have counted.

Catalan Fan

They rarely get called up for it, but I've seen it happen.

The D is part of the 10 yd circumference from the pen spot which protrudes out of the 18yd box, so any encroachment into the D is an infringement.

Don't know why am typing this tbh, we won easily and put on a great show 2nd half.I'll shut the fuck up :p

F

Flavia

It doesn't happen nearly as often as you're suggesting. Also, in most penalties, the players crossing the D before the penalty is hit do not affect the penalty in any way - that could be why refs are lenient. Not in today's case, here Suarez is at an advantage because he was inside the D. So yeah, it shouldn't have counted.

It happens really often. The difference is not affecting the penalty, as you said. And it happened on seconds, I really doubt the ref was even able to see it. Messi was already on the ball before they invaded the box. Thanks to elflaco gif, there were 2 celta players stepping on the circle... Suarez was one step behind him.

Horatio

You're welcome
[MENTION=20286]El Flaco[/MENTION],

Now post an image of the frame of the top gif the moment Messi touches the ball.

About the D argument. It doesn't hold in this situation because the Celta player also entered the D before Messi touched the ball.
But I am waiting to see if Suarez entered the box othewise.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Not really knocking the ref for not noticing the encroachment. I'm just saying it shouldn't have counted as Suarez gets an advantage from the encroachment.

Horatio

You're welcome
CbNR4Z0WIAEC7hG.jpg

That's why I told you to do it of the top GIF! Can't tell the position of his right leg.

Not really knocking the ref for not noticing the encroachment. I'm just saying it shouldn't have counted as Suarez gets an advantage from the encroachment.

should have been retaken at best since other celta players were also in the box.

And it does happen often, just like walls creeping up right before a free kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans