8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

ronniecro

someone unironically thinks he's most overrated player in the world while at the same time you have likes of dembele,pogba,grealish,sancho,felix etc..running around

vuji_31

He has wc quality, but he needs wc manager to shape the game to him.

We need to play on our strenghts, Xavi still does not know who is starting LB, CB, RB, CDM, LW , RW...

He is clown, he us proving it every game we play.

vegitot

Did someone know the date of his last assist in official match? In whoscored i found that he has one assist last season, but couldnt find when.

His last assist is vs Valencia when he shot but it hit Auba's back. That is his only assist in 2022.

To be fair, he creates good chances for his teammates but they can not convert but yes, his attacking output is very poor now. I expected much more from him.

Barcilliant

Gavi 1 g/a every 475 minutes.

Thanks. Hmmmm thought so. Those are dreadful stats for two starting midfielders for a top club. I don't care about their potential or age. They should be given minutes but not as starters.
I would like to what a top manager like Tuchel or Klopp would do with Pedri and Gavi

Blanco

His last assist is vs Valencia when he shot but it hit Auba's back. That is his only assist in 2022.

To be fair, he creates good chances for his teammates but they can not convert but yes, his attacking output is very poor now. I expected much more from him.
Thank you, I remembered it now. Its funny that his last assist was actually a shot.

Every time i watch barca i think that Pedri is copy of Isco. There are little meaninigless differences, for example Pedri is not so technically gifted and has better physicality than Isco, but the main thing is that they both are very elegant and nice to watch and in the same time they are not efficient. In 99% of the situations one simple pass is more effective than rotating around yourself with the ball.

vegitot

Thank you, I remembered it now. Its funny that his last assist was actually a shot.

Every time i watch barca i think that Pedri is copy of Isco. There are little meaninigless differences, for example Pedri is not so technically gifted and has better physicality than Isco, but the main thing is that they both are very elegant and nice to watch and in the same time they are not efficient. In 99% of the situations one simple pass is more effective than rotating around yourself with the ball.

Pedri is very different. Isco likes to dribble, likes to take on his opponent and way more offensive mind. Better shooting ablity too. Pedri doesn't like to dribble despite being great at that. He likes to pass, rarely shoot.

Both have increbible first touch and ball control.

Pedri needs to reshape his game now. Just pass the ball is not enough to become the leader.

Porque

The scary thing is I don't think Pedri has put a string of performances as good as Isco at Malaga. He was unplayable at times with an end product.

Just to put a bit of perspective on Pedri.

fergus90

I don't think he had a particularly great 2022 bar the odd moment here and there, i also don't think it's unfair to say his development has somewhat stagnated.

Could be a number of things: general form, tactics, opposition more aware of him so make plans to disrupt his game.

I think players like Gavi and Pedri lack personnel to learn from too. Barca is a club currently lacking in players with success and the know-how to win trophies and big games whom are also in their peak years.

Likes of Busi,Alba etc have not been at the top for a number of years and have suffered more humiliations than victories in recent times. Players in their mid to late 20's have either not really won an awful lot or have not been at the club long enough so are adapting themselves.

JamDav1982

I don't think he had a particularly great 2022 bar the odd moment here and there, i also don't think it's unfair to say his development has somewhat stagnated.

Could be a number of things: general form, tactics, opposition more aware of him so make plans to disrupt his game.

I think players like Gavi and Pedri lack personnel to learn from too. Barca is a club currently lacking in players with success and the know-how to win trophies and big games whom are also in their peak years.

Likes of Busi,Alba etc have not been at the top for a number of years and have suffered more humiliations than victories in recent times. Players in their mid to late 20's have either not really won an awful lot or have not been at the club long enough so are adapting themselves.

Pedri and Gavi have Xavi as coach.. he should have more input than anyone on their development.

Seen this argued a few times but players dont learn from other players they play with as much as is made out.

Majority of young players coming through dont have teams of serial winners to learn from and much more of their development is a coach who allows them to thrive.

ajnotkeith

Pedri might be 20 but he already has 150 career appearances, with Barcelona and Spain, a very high level. The vast vast majority of 20 years olds will not have played near that much football at the level he plays.

Age in football is used as a predictor of how much someone can grow but it isn't the actual age you have that predisposes you to growth in something, it is the amount of experience you have or lack of. Usually age is heavily correlated with how much experience you have and the vast majority of the time someone younger has more room for growth as they have played much less than older players, giving it this connotation. But it isn't always the case with huge outliers such as Pedri or someone like Vardy.

Despite Pedri only being 20, the rapid growth part of his curve is probably over at this moment, he's an 'early bloomer'. The majority of his quick growth would have already been made in those first few full seasons he played that other 20 year olds usually haven't got under their belt.

So his pure ability is not too far from his full potential at this moment.

Then, rather than expecting him to magically grow even more, it is now a matter of utilisation of what he has and Xavi managing to use his talents in the best way possible. Which isn't being done.

Bobo32

With the right mindset he could learn more from Busquets than from anybody else I can think of. The problem looks to me to be that he got a guaranteed spot too early, and with that came the laziness and stagnation. He is apparently playing well enough to start each and every time both for Barcelona and Spain, whether he is dead tired or injured or not.

I don't think it is good or needed to play with "winners", it is more important to have hungry players around you, like Barcelona had in 2004, or in 2008 for example - we saw these players and those around them improve a lot.

Home of Barca Fans