8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

Messi983

Xavi: "Pedri seemed fine. I think it's nothing. With Ansu, we'll have to wait for the tests tomorrow."

Good news if true.

I've almost forgot how good this kid is. Unbelievable player.

BusiTheKing

A nice presence when the game got chaotic. In the big picture though, our midfield failed miserably in transitioning to attacking situations and he did nothing to change that.

The window of opportunity in these games are brief and the spaces need to be attacked with urgency. Too much languid jogging and pointing around to teammates and calma gestures for me.

Would anyone disagree that, while Pedri mostly does the right thing and has some nice moments, in the big picture it's nothing compared to how Muniain takes the game and makes it his?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
A nice presence when the game got chaotic. In the big picture though, our midfield failed miserably in transitioning to attacking situations and he did nothing to change that.

The window of opportunity in these games are brief and the spaces need to be attacked with urgency. Too much languid jogging and pointing around to teammates and calma gestures for me.

Would anyone disagree that, while Pedri mostly does the right thing and has some nice moments, in the big picture it's nothing compared to how Muniain takes the game and makes it his?

Athletic are set up differently and much more vertical, not sure why you are comparing a midfielder like Pedri to a CAM/winger Muniain. Attacking third players are meant to be more decisive. You are not helping your cause with some abstract terms like "window of opportunity" and "the big picture." Pedri had mistakes but played well, probably our MOTM even. And he can play so much better, he just came back and plays under a manager hellbent on attacking as slowly as possible. Slow tempo players like Busi and FdJ may also be exacerbating Pedri's habits. It's true he could be more urgent with his actions, but it's mostly his body language. He is urgent when he needs to be, like when he scored or when he set up a nice counter but played a bad pass to Ferran.

BusiTheKing

Athletic are set up differently and much more vertical, not sure why you are comparing a midfielder like Pedri to a CAM/winger Muniain. Attacking third players are meant to be more decisive. You are not helping your cause with some abstract terms like "window of opportunity" and "the big picture." Pedri had mistakes but played well, probably our MOTM even. And he can play so much better, he just came back and plays under a manager hellbent on attacking as slowly as possible. Slow tempo players like Busi and FdJ may also be exacerbating Pedri's habits. It's true he could be more urgent with his actions, but it's mostly his body language. He is urgent when he needs to be, like when he scored or when he set up a nice counter but played a bad pass to Ferran.

Blaming the manager and his teammates for his shortcomings seems a bit thin but sure, the rest of the team is not necessarily any better.

And the other excuse, that it's not Pedri's role to attack, bit thin too. Besides being a winger, Muniain was all over the midfield too, central and attacking. If you don't have players with that sort of attitude, you're not going very far.

I'm still not saying Pedri was the problem today, but he wasn't the solution either. In the end, he got a goal and Busquets got an assist. Their midfield still mostly failed and I think any evalutation of either player has to be made on the basis of that fact.

Home of Barca Fans