7 - Ferran Torres

mc_lovin

Folk are trying to hard to make out he has been a disappointment at City when that is far from the case.

That's not really the point. Noone thinks he's a disappointment, but a (potential) 70ME transfer? Hell no. But I can obviously only speak for myself.

FinBarcelonafan

He is not an important players for them. They can get rid no problem. The fact that Pep rotates his troops doesn't mean that Torres is a starter.

Didn't set the world alight there, didn't manage to cement himself as starter and also had injuries. If Pep doesn't see him as important, then...

We would be idiots if we pay anything over 40

Citys squad is the best in the world. Most of their subs would start for us. Heck, Garcia lol.

We are just on different level today compared to City. Basically any of their player would improve our squad. Sad reality of today.

malvolio

Citys squad is the best in the world. Most of their subs would start for us. Heck, Garcia lol.

We are just on different level today compared to City. Basically any of their player would improve our squad. Sad reality of today.

So what City's squad is the best in the world(although debatable now)? Are we supposed to hand them 70M for a guy who clearly is no world class player and a rotation/bench option for them?

And he seems kind of slow. Are we getting another slow winger? Or another player who is not a striker but plays there from time to time?

JamDav1982

That's not really the point. Noone thinks he's a disappointment, but a (potential) 70ME transfer? Hell no. But I can obviously only speak for myself.

He is clearly trying to be made out as if didnt do all that well as 'didnt become a starter' and 'didnt set world alight' and 'if Pep wants rid...'

Why mention those standards if not to just make out he didnt live up to some expectations that should of?

Ignoring he went there at 20, did well in his first season and was a top performer for Spain.

JamDav1982

So what City's squad is the best in the world(although debatable now)? Are we supposed to hand them 70M for a guy who clearly is no world class player and a rotation/bench option for them?

And he seems kind of slow. Are we getting another slow winger? Or another player who is not a striker but plays there from time to time?

He isnt slow.

Would Adeyemi or Nkunku start for City or be worth 70m?

Or are they just better value but poorer players if could get them cheaper?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I thought of Torres as a RW, but reading that Barca apparently told him they want him to play as a CF.

People that have actually seen him more than me playing that position, could it work for us?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Never saw him playing as a CF and doubt it will work well. To me him cutting in from the right with his speed is what works the best for him, why change?

JamDav1982

He has played CF a fair bit but it is different playing there for City than would be at most clubs.

Foden, Sterling, Bernardo, Jesus etc all looked good playing there at times and none of them a 'proper' CF.

Having said that would prefer him at CF to anyone at Barca currently and could easily see him playing there a lot until a striker brought in.

Mateka

Pep played him initially at RW then CF. On the wing he can lack pace, as CF he can finish.

Aguero going to Barca left Jesus or Torres at City as the strikers, Jesus, pep converts to RW and he appears competitive to Mahrez. That appears to leave CF for Torres. I wonder if the negotiation for Harry Kane unsettled Torres? Speculation on my part.

But the choice of a return to Spain, play for Barca, probably regular starting place, seems attractive to him.

What makes him the better player? I think if he stays with Pep longer that would develop him more. Though the cost goes up.

The question though is how much would you ask for him if Barca was selling? That is the figure, or player swap, that City would take.

JamDav1982

Pep didnt take him off the wing as he 'lacks pace'.

City play players out wide all the time that are slower than Torres.

Foden, Grealish and in past likes of Bernardo/KDB etc.

FinBarcelonafan

Not sure why people say he is slow? He looked one of the quicker/fastest player from Spain in Nations league final.

He was only one capable of dribbling past opponents. Even on the wing.

He is pretty sneaky, good speed and quickness.

Mateka

Pep didnt take him off the wing as he 'lacks pace'.

City play players out wide all the time that are slower than Torres.

Foden, Grealish and in past likes of Bernardo/KDB etc.

Fair comment.

21y 75d - Ferran Torres is the youngest player to score a league hat-trick for a Pep Guardiola team, with the previous-youngest being Lionel Messi against Tenerife in January 2010 (22y 200d). Company.

Messi983

I thought of Torres as a RW, but reading that Barca apparently told him they want him to play as a CF.

People that have actually seen him more than me playing that position, could it work for us?

Don't think we would see him exclusively as a CF but more like versatile player who can play there if needed. Could be wrong but I think Xavi sees Ansu as a #9 longterm.

Anyway, give me Adeyemi over Ferran any day. Would be cheaper and has much higher upside imo. He's also more suited to play as a striker but can easily also play RW if Dembele leaves (which I think he will) or when he gets injured again if he'll stay.

To be clear, I'm talking about the next season as I don't believe there is any chance we'll get Ferran or any other big money signing in January. So short term we'll need to look for another cheaper alternative on loan to survive next 6 months.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Don't think we would see him exclusively as a CF but more like versatile player who can play there if needed. Could be wrong but I think Xavi sees Ansu as a #9 longterm.

Anyway, give me Adeyemi over Ferran any day. Would be cheaper and has much higher upside imo. He's also more suited to play as a striker but can easily also play RW if Dembele leaves (which I think he will) or when he gets injured again if he'll stay.

Exactly. I would aim for Adeyemi as well, but it seems Salzburg ain't selling him in January and Laporta is in need of a big signing in January. Hopefully, he looks at things from a long-term, not short-term perspective.

Home of Barca Fans