3 - Gerard Pique

J

Jamie Cal

I wouldn't say its down to him, or any one player, just symptomatic of a focused squad. Getting him back right was definitely one of the biggest issues at hand, though.

Butaan4barca

Messi is my favourite player next to Henry, I just see him as an introvert who is incapable of being a leader despite him being the best player ever.
There is nothing wrong with it, others are just more suited and at Argentina it is clearly Mascehrano.
In a world cup final it should be the captain motivating the troops like a general, perhaps the coach but thats about it, picture does show Messi isnt a leader, he never was, doenst make him any less great of course.

who says, introvert can't be a leader ? you don't have to shout loud at people to inspire them, thats not necessary. If someones presence is motivational and inspiring for others, that is the best form of leadership.

And i think, messi coming as a sub against psg, even not fully fit, And changing the game was one part.
If you had read or heard what Ancelloti had to say about that match, should sum it up for you. i don't rememeber the exact words but he said something like --the moment messi was on a pitch , changed the match, it looked like it changed the nou camp enviorment, and it lifted the players as if they were given a sooper energy boost.

Gnidrologist

I think Messi has gotten more extroverted as he matured. At at least his body language has been a lot more expressive in last years than it was when he was in early 20s. Obviously, he will never be Puyol in that regard. I also never understood why people think that Maradona was a great leader (usually pops up when discussing Mara vs Messi). Most of Diego's expressive bouts were sulking at refs and manifesting his overall frustration, when things didn't go his way. If anything, that's discouraging to team mate. Hie was hardly a masculine warrior that Puyol or Masch are. And he was very moody. When the mood was wrong, he would disappear from games. WC final in 90 against the Germany was a good example. Messi was a lot more influential in this last final just by creating some of the chances by his own against all odds. Maradona was invisible in the 90 against IMO much weaker German side.
I think he ups morale just by being there, especially when in from, destroying defenders one by one. Let's leave the banter to those, who are good at it.

JamDav1982

Felt like he won every header again today.

Covers so well for other defenders in way he never used to.

He has really matured under Lucho.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Unstoppable aerially today and fantastic on the ball as well (especially in situations where City tried to press high and force errors). Well done.

Androutsos

Does anyone get the impression that he is more fit this season? He just looks more agile, it could just be a matter of confidence...

Richard.H

Does anyone get the impression that he is more fit this season? He just looks more agile, it could just be a matter of confidence...

I get that impression also. I don't know if it's Lucho, but he seems much more alert and confident this season. It's like Lucho gave him a good ass-kicking on the practice grounds.

alex88bg

I am looking at the second half right now and i came to the forum just to say the same thing about pique.
His leg work is looking 3 times better than last year and he is looking as confident as one can get.
It is finally pleasure to watch him play.
His agility and endurance is at his best so far in his career.

Home of Barca Fans