24 - Thomas Vermaelen

JamDav1982

Actually Bud @Jamdav1982, according to most media reports he was signed for 15 mil with 4 in addons. his Agent is incredible to think that he'd even push for addons?
Not too sure about arsenal wanting to keep him since they already had koncielny and mertesacker as sure starters and he was always injured.
Also his contract was set to expire in 2015 lol. that means we paid 15 million for a player who was not only a benched injured crock, he was <6 months away from becoming a free agent.

Barca said it was 10m euros plus 5m add ons then about another 3m in trophy related incentives.

Only 10m has been paid for him, unless you have link to show otherwise?

Arsenal offered him a new contract to stay so yes they did want him.

Six months away from being free agent is irrelevant. Other clubs wanted him and Arsenal would never have let his contract run down.

JamDav1982

It was all over media at time that Arsenal were trying to open contract talks but Vermaelen wouldnt entertain it.

Edit: Wenger last season -

"I'm open to it, I'm ready to extend his contract," Wenger said. "Of course we want Thomas Vermaelen to be happy and to have the number of games a player of his class deserves.

"But on my side I have a huge respect for his quality and attitude and I am ready to extend his contract.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
It would make sense for us to want him, considering our only senior CBs were Koscielny, Mertesacker, and Chambers, I doubt Wenger could have predicted Vermaelen having this many injury problems

JamDav1982

It would make sense for us to want him, considering our only senior CBs were Koscielny, Mertesacker, and Chambers, I doubt Wenger could have predicted Vermaelen having this many injury problems

See quote above, chambers has been used at RB as much as anything as he was at Southampton.

Wenger stated they wanted to keep him and all the media at end of season said it was Vermaelens decision to not enter negotiations.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
1407610573026_wps_3_FC_Barcelona_s_new_Belgiu.jpg

hospital-sign.jpeg

Shouldve seen it coming....

Zebulun

Barca said it was 10m euros plus 5m add ons then about another 3m in trophy related incentives.

Only 10m has been paid for him, unless you have link to show otherwise?

Arsenal offered him a new contract to stay so yes they did want him.

Six months away from being free agent is irrelevant. Other clubs wanted him and Arsenal would never have let his contract run down.

I hear you and it could be true but these are the same guys that said neymar was 57m :(
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/331409.html

JamDav1982

I hear you and it could be true but these are the same guys that said neymar was 57m :(
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/331409.html

I knew that would be said.

The Neymar transfer is a different issue and not the norm with the club still saying fee was 57m.

No one anywhere has challenged the fee paid for Vermaelen, nor any of the other transfers.

Neymars is a unique case in bending grey areas of rules to try and get the players.

JamDav1982

The real question is how did he pass his medical to be able to sign his contract here @jamdav1982

Fuck knows but he had been available for about 80 games for Arsenal the past couple of seasons.

His injury record wasnt as bad as some people make out in that time.

They did sign him injured though against advice.

Irish_Cules

Barcastuff on the ball as usual. About today's squad....

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 9s10 seconds ago
Injured: Vermaelen (thigh) #fcblive

Home of Barca Fans