24 - Thomas Vermaelen

skn02

His surgeon said the injury is behind Verm and that he will be able to play in one week. :tata:

Barca main team dont need or trust to play him at this point. If he's cleared to play, he should get his minutes in Barca B until next season.

Zangash

Banned
Barca main team dont need or trust to play him at this point. If he's cleared to play, he should get his minutes in Barca B until next season.

Disagree. Any opportunity we have to find someone good enough to remove Mascherano from the big game XI should be taken with both hands. We would hate to lose a CL final because someone couldn't get their head to the ball, now wouldn't we?

I'd give him a chance in an easier game, probably alongside Bartra. See how he does and if he's ready to be eased into the more strenuous games.

DrPepper

Even in top form he's still our worst CB. I'd even trust Mascherano more in big matches.

He was never "world class" at Arsenal, quite the opposite. His performances were always overrated because he was an offensive weapon and scored many goals.

Zangash

Banned
Even in top form he's still our worst CB. I'd even trust Mascherano more in big matches.

He was never "world class" at Arsenal, quite the opposite. His performances were always overrated because he was an offensive weapon and scored many goals.

Is that so? That's pretty damn disappointing to hear, honestly. I was never happy that we signed him but I had always imagined he was at least decent. I never watched Arsenal enough to have any kind of solid opinion on him, and in retrospect I don't remember seeing him play often in the games I did watch.

Why did we sign him, then?

Kerrybai

Is that so? That's pretty damn disappointing to hear, honestly. I was never happy that we signed him but I had always imagined he was at least decent. I never watched Arsenal enough to have any kind of solid opinion on him, and in retrospect I don't remember seeing him play often in the games I did watch.

He can be a very solid CB for us if he can hit his Arsenal peak, at his Arsenal peak he was a beast.

Zangash

Banned
He can be a very solid CB for us if he can hit his Arsenal peak, at his Arsenal peak he was a beast.

At 29 years old coming back from a 9 month injury I find it hard to imagine him reaching his Arsenal peak by the time the transfer ban ends, and by then we'd really be better off splashing the cash on better defenders anyways.

BBZ8800

Disagree. Any opportunity we have to find someone good enough to remove Mascherano from the big game XI should be taken with both hands. We would hate to lose a CL final because someone couldn't get their head to the ball, now wouldn't we?

I'd give him a chance in an easier game, probably alongside Bartra. See how he does and if he's ready to be eased into the more strenuous games.

Vermaelen won't play.
Every La liga match till the end is like a final, and we have only 5 Champions league matches left.
Without injuries, Lucho will use Pique+Masch in 90% of matches.
Mathieu will play only if Pique/Mascherano get injured or red carded. Or if they will need a rest before CL match.
Bartra will struggle to get more than 2-3 matches till the end of the Season.
And Vermaelen will probably enter 1-2 times in the last 20 minutes when we will be winning 2:0 or 3:0 in some La liga match.

Lucho won't experiment in the final part of the Season.

So, if Vermaelen will be fit, he will get 20-30 minutes this Season and during a preseason and during the next Season, he will fight for more minutes.

Most of fans here think that Bartra is our 4th choice, and Vermaelen is our 5th choice, but I always thought that if he hadn't got injured, that Lucho's order would have been:
1. Pique
2. Masch
3. Mathieu and Vermaelen
5. Bartra

Or:
1. Pique
2. Masch
3. Mathieu
4. Vermaelen
5. Bartra

He is a Belgian international, experienced player, played for years for Arsenal in EPL and Champions league.
I am just not buying the story that Lucho would trust Bartra more than him.

Last edited:

Zangash

Banned
Yeah, there's no way in hell Lucho would trust Bartra more than Vermaelen. Part of why he should leave for the better of his career, imo. Good performances don't earn you greater minutes at this club, but they do in England.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Yeah, there's no way in hell Lucho would trust Bartra more than Vermaelen. Part of why he should leave for the better of his career, imo. Good performances don't earn you greater minutes at this club, but they do in England.

I don't know if I'm happy Vermaelen could be back or sad that Bartra might leave :/

I like both of them and would like to see them thrive with Barça!

G

Gasgas

I respectfully disagree

He is very good in top form. He is a leader iin defence, captain material

Home of Barca Fans