21 - Frenkie de Jong

Vladinho

If he doesn't recover his form by summer, I honestly see him being sold to make room for Halland operation. The question that remains: will he be willing to leave Barcelona? If I remember correctly, his father mentioned that he's building a house in the city. So, obviously, he likes it there.

MTL_Barca

Easy to pick on him since he's a foreigner and competes with Gavi, Pedri and Nico who get all the love.

But realistically he really needs to step it up or get used in another role, at the moment he get's outperformed by the kids. Considering he's one of the few players that could generate significant income i wouldn't be surprised if the club actually thinks about selling him.

Messi983

It's not about replacing Busquets one for one, but getting a decent DM at all. Just look at United woes for context. It's not that easy.

Frenkie is great, but not in a midfield 3 with two out of Gavi/Pedri/Nico. At least that's my feeling.

We won't know until we try that though. And not in a single game but in a run of 6-8 games.

What we know doesn't work is Busi playing alongside FDJ and Gavi/Pedri. Nor does it work playing Busi besides Gavi and Pedri.

And I think outside of some blind/delusional Busi fan boys everyone knows who is the main reason for that.

JamDav1982

Frenkie doesnt have to be the long term answer to play DM..he just has to be better than Busquets and be able to protect a defence for now.

The idea Busi is unique and cant be replaced is moronic when he is a liability every game.

Particularly when on front of an already weak defence he offers no protection.

Busi will keep playing and Barca should get into top four against La Liga fodder and folk will purr when he makes some good passes v poor sides. Then next time play a top side he will be found out again.

Andresito

Staff member
Easy to pick on him since he's a foreigner and competes with Gavi, Pedri and Nico who get all the love.

But realistically he really needs to step it up or get used in another role, at the moment he get's outperformed by the kids. Considering he's one of the few players that could generate significant income i wouldn't be surprised if the club actually thinks about selling him.

Frenkie's been pretty protected to be fair, me included.

We've had patience with him, a lot more patience than others get. He's halfway into the the 5 year contract he signed when he got here, and we're still arguing about his best position.

He's supposed to be in his prime by now. Perfect age and adapted to the club and all. It's fair to consider a sale.

Porque

In theory FdJ could allow us to be more dynamic and easily switch to a 343 with him slotting into a back 3. Even if Busi is first option, there are enough games to rotate and develop a secondary/future DMC option. Especially in a season where the league goal is top 4 and the European goal is winning the Europa League.

In reality though, I think Busi will play every game while Frenkie will be used to generate income while our backup DMC will be Sergi Roberto.

JamDav1982

Frenkie's been pretty protected to be fair, me included.

We've had patience with him, a lot more patience than others get. He's halfway into the the 5 year contract he signed when he got here, and we're still arguing about his best position.

He's supposed to be in his prime by now. Perfect age and adapted to the club and all. It's fair to consider a sale.

There is not really much argument about what his best position is.

Think most agree what that is and it is then how he has played outwith that and if worth keeping him if never going to be given that role.

Andresito

Staff member
There is not really much argument about what his best position is.

Think most agree what that is and it is then how he has played outwith that and if worth keeping him if never going to be given that role.

But that role doesn't exist at Barca.

Porque

Koeman started with the Dutch NT 4231 and Frenkie didn't excel. Was arguably the weaker of the pivots in fact.

One may argue that he didn't have the right dance partner. Another could argue that National football is a different pace of football with more exposed space.

If he is at Barcelona he has to find the best position out of 3. If he can't excel in any of the 3 man midfield roles then we have a 80 million euro problem.

JamDav1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL08Nkubm3w

Frenkie at DM v Mallorca... granted it is Mallorca but the way folk make out his is clueless as how to play there is comical.

0.33 is example of taking ball forward in way Busquets cant. Even that small space to suck in opponents and beat press. That was Busquets he doesnt take ball or dives to win FK when realises opposition to close.

His ability to move for ball both offensively and defensively is on a different planet and his passing is nowhere near as far off the Busi levels as made out.

Porque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL08Nkubm3w

Frenkie at DM v Mallorca... granted it is Mallorca but the way folk make out his is clueless as how to play there is comical.

0.33 is example of taking ball forward in way Busquets cant. Even that small space to suck in opponents and beat press. That was Busquets he doesnt take ball or dives to win FK when realises opposition to close.

His ability to move for ball both offensively and defensively is on a different planet and his passing is nowhere near as far off the Busi levels as made out.

You realise he excelled at DMC because Puig was playing.

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

Home of Barca Fans