21 - Frenkie de Jong

Sorin

With all respect that’s just excuses. Modric plays every 3 day and even played in the WC in December. He is 34. Arthur is 21. Also do some of you guys have statistics about distance run by our players? Doubt Arthur runs more than Raki.

I see some of the same tendencies in de Jong. What I’m sure about is that a duo of Frenkie-Arthur won’t work

Why does it matter who runs more when one had a vastly superior match? Did Iniesta run more than Gerrard or Lampard overall? Did Xavi run more than Essien? Hell, did Xavi run more than Modric? Now tell me who are the superior players from that bunch?

Absolutely worthless being a better workhorse if the other player simply outclasses you from a technical standpoint.

xXKonan

Riordon needs to quit trying to paint both De Jong and Arthur as finished articles.

Gets tiring after awhile.

Riordon

Why does it matter who runs more when one had a vastly superior match? Did Iniesta run more than Gerrard or Lampard overall? Did Xavi run more than Essien? Hell, did Xavi run more than Modric? Now tell me who are the superior players from that bunch?

Absolutely worthless being a better workhorse if the other player simply outclasses you from a technical standpoint.

Xavi was a monster and could play 120min without dropping sweat. He ran so much. And running is important in football, I guess that’s obvious. It’s a false to claim that Iniesta and Xavi didn’t run a lot. They were playing every 3 days, 60 games a season and never got tired

And I’m not attacking Arthur and Frenkie. I have followed Frenkie since two years now and this is the worst he has played for a while. The last 2-3 month.

fergus90

How good was Modric with 21/22years old? I genuinely dont know.

Not sure but I used to have an Aston Villa season ticket for a number of years, so i watched Modric 3 or 4 times when he played for Spurs against us. Think he was mid 20's then. He was very good but nowhere near the level he has been last few years.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Xavi was also almost sold when he was 22 years old because people thought he wouldn't make it here. I think we need to take a step back here and get some perspective.

Total-Football

I remember modric when he was 23-24 .. he was very good but almost a different player than now position wise. after that disasterous first season with madrid he started playing very deep, i dont ever remember him playing deep in the pitch he was closer to liverpool coutinho than say iniesta or xavi. This maturation and this defensive awareness he developped way later in his carreer. At tottenham he played directly behind the striker.

Campos

How good was Modric with 21/22years old? I genuinely dont know.

He was almost a player of Ajax at that age
He almost signed the contract.

But Zagreb refused the deal. Because Arsenal bought Eduardo da Silva last minute. And they didn't want to lose both players at the same time.

So ya. Believe it or not. Modric was almost an Ajax player. He was great at the time. But not that much better than Frenkie. He made his debute for Tottenham when he was 23.

Frenkie is 2 years younger.

Riordon

I don’t know if we have any Ajax fans on here but I feel De Jong hasn’t yet returned fully fit that kept him out from feb 2018 to August 2018. Prior to that injury his was phenomenal.

Looks like he lost a bit of speed and mobility

EdmondDantes

Why is Arthur even in this conversation tonight? Arthur has been our best midfielder and is already reality. We signed Frenkie as a talent - we don't know how he will fare here yet.

Riordon

Why is Arthur even in this conversation tonight? Arthur has been our best midfielder and is already reality. We signed Frenkie as a talent - we don't know how he will fare here yet.

Cause they have a lot of similarities. Gonna be interesting following both players but I think de Jong ceiling is way higher than Arthur

Sorin

Xavi was a monster and could play 120min without dropping sweat. He ran so much.

And I’m not attacking Arthur and Frenkie. I have followed Frenkie since two years now and this is the worst he has played for a while. The last 2-3 month.

Yeah so does Modric. Now who is better between Xavi and Modric? Or you're saying that if Xavi could've played for only about 70 minutes only he'd be a worse player than Modric? Sorry but I take 70 minutes of Xavi every day and twice on sunday over any version of Modric.

No, you're not attacking Arthur but you are focusing on one aspect of their abilities and make it seem like it's the most important one when you had a very recent example where "marathoner" Modric was outclassed and shouldn't have been anywhere near the pitch by the 60th minute for constantly fouling the same short of breath Arthur. Now what good did it do to him to that he was constantly running? You tell me.

Home of Barca Fans