21 - Frenkie de Jong

Devils

90m on De Jong, 160m on Coutinho, 105m+ on Dembele ... how the fuck are we able to spend more than Real Madrid knowning that they have way more money than us?

Dawg, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the bottom line:

[tw]1087851521109315585[/tw]

As it stands now, three summers after the Neymar sale, Barca's bottom line reads 200m net spent on transfers.

Barto always said that Barca's annual budget for transfers ~60m so over the three summers the budget would have been 180m.

So we are probably ~20m exceeding the budget but that can be corrected this summer with some sales.

khaled_a_d

So you mean 9 deals in the last 2 years then and counting.

Hmmm, Bale,Cr7 (1st one),Higuain,Pogba didn't happen in past 2 years.
And FDJ isn't on similar market value as any of those at that point.
I don't see anyone thinking it is normal money, it is expensive deal no matte how you put it.
Fans don't have problem with those once player proves he is very good (see VVD) but will have zero tolerance when they aren't performing on very high level and don't have much patience with them

Nothanks

I don't see the market slowing down, nor has it historically, more and more money is being pumped into teams by sponsorship or takeovers.

to be put in perspective, neymar (his arrival to barca in 2013) cost more than 100m if you look past our boards bullshit
and 90m is 2/5 of what neymar costed PSG

when you put it in perspective it's not so bad.

and in the future this MIGHT look like a steal.. or might look like the biggest flop ever who knows.

serghei

Hmmm, Bale,Cr7 (1st one),Higuain,Pogba didn't happen in past 2 years.
And FDJ isn't on similar market value as any of those at that point.
I don't see anyone thinking it is normal money, it is expensive deal no matte how you put it.
Fans don't have problem with those once player proves he is very good (see VVD) but will have zero tolerance when they aren't performing on very high level and don't have much patience with them

It is expensive. Not saying it isn't. But expensive deals are common nowadays. i can tell you that nobody on redcafe commented when the news broke out that the fee is shocking. It's not that shocking.

Leo_Messi

I've high doubts that FDJ will be a CM here, while he will play in that position from time to time,I think the plan with him is being Busquets long term replacement.
It has been his natural position for long time, Busquets himself will never be sole DM in any other club (either a DM in 2 DM gameplan or CM) and FDJ fits his style a lot. Also FDJ and Arthur seem to compliment each other a lot as DM/CM pair than CM pair tbh
The most expensive signing from outside of the top 5 leagues is Fred for 59M.
For the club, FDJ will be 3rd most expensive, fans already starting to comment on the price as you see :lol: , and Gomes and Paco was for actually relatively similar prices.

Only 9 deals in history has exceeded 90M, no one will look at it as normal deal. I can assure you that.
Those deals were PSG 2017 signings, our own Neymar's money signings, Cr7 twice along Bale,Pogba & Higuain
Non of those came from a league comparable to Eredivisie (sorry, french league is far superior)

I hope that he will be bought with the intention of being the long-term substitute of Busquets who has 2 seasons left at the highest level if his own words are to be believed. That would be the most effective and sensible solution given Arthur's presence and him being the perfect CM for us.

My only fear is that FDJ might see himself as a CM long-term given his potential and talent. He might think that his talent is wasted by being limited to a role as a DM in our system. We will see. It all depends on the future coach, how the final squad will look like for the next season etc.

That will leave us with room for that mythical Iniesta substitute (Coutinho is still in the picture and I could see it work with him having extremely ball retaining, hard working and technical players in FDJ and Arthur next to him) or a more offensive midfielder who could be a goal-scoring threat.

As for the transfer fee (you know that I am a FDJ fanboy from past discussions), it is what it is. Obviously it is absurd in many ways but this is how the market is today and FDJ is extremely highly rated for a reason. Of course he could end up flopping but I genuinely believe that the chances of him doing that are minimal. It would require a major clusterfuck by Valverde or a future manager not to be able to unleash his potential or a serious injury or some very serious personal problems outside of football.

Anyway there is no confirmation about a transfer fee yet so I will wait with the conclusions but I am sure that it will be €75 million + given the competition. I mean I stopped caring much about transfer fees the second we bought Coutinho for €160 million and it's not like the club is in financial trouble, rather the opposite. Anyway we will see. I for once am quite excited. More than I was when I heard the KPB news yesterday.:lol: This deal with FDJ might explain why the club choose KBP in the first place. Quite plausible in fact.

As it stands now, three summers after the Neymar sale, Barca's bottom line reads 200m net spent on transfers.

Barto always said that Barca's annual budget for transfers ~60m so over the three summers the budget would have been 180m.

So we are probably ~20m exceeding the budget but that can be corrected this summer with some sales.

The policy was always to keep within a certain limit each season but if an market opportunity arose, money allocated to a future transfer window could be used. That has always been the case as long as I can remember.

I would not worry the slighest about the economical aspect. There is little reason to. Premfaces that are "shocked" that we can afford to spend (been the case for I don't know how long) is what it is. Should not be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
I mean you also said Dembele's ceiling is Alexis Sanchez, while he's showing he can be much, much better. Still young and figuring out how everything works for a club like Barcelona. His skillset and ceiling is undoubtedly higher though with his dribbling and close control improving, and his creativity being a strength for him. Even chipping in with key goals now.

I know the hysteria in this forum is constant, but perhaps we shouldn't jump to conclusions so fast?

I'm not a fortune teller. I'm stating my opinions. Even in the Alexis-Dembélé case you can see that I don't make statements just to troll, I didn't claim Dembélé was crap or anything, there were far worse people here on that matter. Sanchez at his best was a class player, a very good one, just a notch below world class. If I get that one wrong, it's still not an outlandish prediction that I made. From his time at Dortmund and the beginning at Barca I didn't see a player who can be the new talisman once Messi retires. Still don't see it like with Neymar.

With De Jong I see nothing. I'm sorry. If he proves me completely wrong you can come back and make fun of me, I'll be happy. Close to 50 % backpass percentage in the Dutch League.

Whatever. I gave my 2 cents.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'm not a fortune teller. I'm stating my opinions. Even in the Alexis-Dembélé case you can see that I don't make statements just to troll, I didn't claim Dembélé was crap or anything, there were far worse people here on that matter. Sanchez at his best was a class player, a very good one, just a notch below world class. If I get that one wrong, it's still not an outlandish prediction that I made. From his time at Dortmund and the beginning at Barca I didn't see a player who can be the new talisman once Messi retires. Still don't see it like with Neymar.

With De Jong I see nothing. I'm sorry. If he proves me completely wrong you can come back and make fun of me, I'll be happy. Close to 50 % backpass percentage in the Dutch League.

Whatever. I gave my 2 cents.

Fair enough. Let's see how it turns out...

serghei

Nobody here thinks he's good enough to start for us right away. Like with Dembele, it's gonna take some time, and hopefully his performances will start to get better and better. And judging him in the context of Eredivisie is not always in his favour. Many times players actually play better when they're surrounded by better players, even if the competition is tougher. Sure, La Liga is way more difficult, but the players he will play with here are uncomparable with the ones he played with before in Eredivisie.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Nobody here thinks he's good enough to start for us right away. Like with Dembele, it's gonna take some time, and hopefully his performances will start to get better and better.

Well, I do. I can see him easily establishing himself as a starter in the midfield. His main competitors are a washed up Busquets (all due respect to him, I love that guy) and let us not even mention Rakitic here who most likely and hopefully will be a thing of the past this summer. Not many other direct competitors left. Obviously when you buy a talent like that for such a transfer fee and after securing him ahead of both oil/gas clubs, you intend for him to have an immediate impact as well. Of course there will be a period of adaptation but it won't last more than a few months, I imagine.

Stylistically and tactically he will fit like a glove coming from Ajax and being the player profile that he is. I have zero worry about that being the case. Similar to Arthur who on paper that is, would have been a harder case of integrating right away but that went fairly easily as well. Did not take a genius to figure that out either although a few "geniuses" here were quick to write him off.

Last edited:

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum

So P$G made all this possible. :lol:

Coutinho
Dembele
Arthur
De Jong
Langlet
Todibo

F^ck it we should get Rabbiot for free too and sell him a year later. :bartomeu:

serghei

Well, I do. I can see him easily establishing himself as a starter in the midfield. His main competitors are a washed up Busquets (all due respect to him, I love that guy) and let us not even mention Rakitic here who most likely and hopefully will be a thing of the past this summer. Not many other direct competitors left.

It's gonna take a minimum 6 months even if he's amazing from the get go almost.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Heard they're also after Everton's Gueye for around 40 mil. Just imagine some of that p$g money ending up at Ajax via Gomes.

Home of Barca Fans